OT: URI head coaching search | The Boneyard

OT: URI head coaching search

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
They’d be dumb not to pick Becker. Giving Cox the job could potentially kill what they have going there.

Reaction Score
I hope they hire someone other than Cox. I'd like to see him come to uconn.
You would think that if they were going to hire Cox they would have done so already but maybe URI is just testing the market.

Reaction Score
He tweeted this four days after us landing hurley (and obviously before URI finding a new head coach):

That's when everyone thought Cox had the job sewed up. Until Harris signs he can change his mind. He's only given a verbal, correct?

Reaction Score
Matthews also said he would be a Husky regardless of who was the coach. Things can change quickly
So did Kisunas. These things are fluid and will be so for a while yet.
Well they both probably didn’t see the new coach pushing them out either.

I’m interested to see if Illinois hops back in on Kisunas or if he has to go he Ivy League route.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don’t wish ill on URI but Harris could be tweeting to help Cox get the head coaching job and after that happens decide to go elsewhere.

I’d love to have Harris. But if it came down to only one coming to UConn my overwhelming choice is Cox. I know what Tom 1.0 has done at UConn. What was his recruiting like at Quinipiac?

Reaction Score
I already thought he'd get the job, but if these are the options, I'd think there's almost 0 chance they don't give it to Cox.

C

Chief00

I don’t wish ill on URI but Harris could be tweeting to help Cox get the head coaching job and after that happens decide to go elsewhere.

I’d love to have Harris. But if it came down to only one coming to UConn my overwhelming choice is Cox. I know what Tom 1.0 has done at UConn. What was his recruiting like at Quinipiac?

Unless your a head coach with gravitas, recruiting is generally best done by guys under 50. Tom is now beyond that milestone. Tom can still be valuable in evaluating, prioritizing and targeting recruits. He is invaluable breaking down the strengths and weaknesses of other teams and how to counteract.

Reaction Score
My gut tells me they dont hire cox. They need an experienced head coach. They need a low risk, ok reward hire at this point. Hurley was high risk high reward, idk if they can afford that again.

Reaction Score
Well they both probably didn’t see the new coach pushing them out either.

I’m interested to see if Illinois hops back in on Kisunas or if he has to go he Ivy League route.
That’s awful the kid gets s needs scholarship to an IVY league school instead of Illinois and that’s a bad thing.

Reaction Score
That’s awful the kid gets s needs scholarship to an IVY league school instead of Illinois and that’s a bad thing.
Az huskie pop chill out. Illinois has much more exposure than an Ivy League schooland better comepetition. I know you live in the past glory days of the Ivy League but this is 2018.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Unless your a head coach with gravitas, recruiting is generally best done by guys under 50. Tom is now beyond that milestone. Tom can still be valuable in evaluating, prioritizing and targeting recruits. He is invaluable breaking down the strengths and weaknesses of other teams and how to counteract.
Letting you know I was out of line bringing up JD.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Cox’s strength is the recruits he has in-house and lined up. What’s the offset with coaching?
So who would you like to get instead?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bill Reynolds: Pitino worth a shot for URI?.

One man's opinion. A tried and true business model. Hoes, blow and dough
I actually think this is a good call by URI, with safeguards in the contract. It expresses a commitment to competing in MBB, takes the sting out of losing Hurley, and let's them get a level of coaching that wouldn't have a shot at otherwise. It's not like they have an academic reputation to protect. They can be the Louisville of the East.

Reaction Score
An Ivy League degree is going to last a lot longer than his low-post skills. Always amazes me why more kids don't take that route.
Illinois has a fantastic undergrad engineering program...not that he's probably going to study engineering

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom