OT- Uconn Women 94 pts at the half | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Uconn Women 94 pts at the half

Reaction Score
He started pulling the starters about 4 minutes into the 2nd half, and he played at least 3 reserves the rest of the way. Starters and 1st reserve didn't play in the 4th quarter.
2nd leading scorer in the country, who leads the nation in made 3s plays for SFU. They held her scoreless in the first half.
At half time, SFU had 7 assists. UConn had 3 players with 8 assists each. SFU had 7 rebounds total at the half. UConn had 4 players with 8 rebounds each at the half.

So you're saying it was close until the 4th quarter?

Reaction Score
It really should be a 28 team tournament with the top 4 seeds getting bi's. That's just where the game is at developmentally. The gulf between the top teams and the bottom is just stupid.

Its fine the way it is if it means that you have blowouts then so be it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And people wonder why women's basketball is invisible outside of Connecticut. There is a reason that it shows up on ESPN2 across from the NFL.
Yeah, it's called counter-programming.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And people wonder why women's basketball is invisible outside of Connecticut. There is a reason that it shows up on ESPN2 across from the NFL.
Except, of course, that it isn't. Geno recruits nationally (well, worldwide really.) UConn is a household name, for those who are interested in WBB across the country. UConn sets attendance records for many, if not most, of the schools it travels to. And, if you ever attend a woman's AAU tournament, I guarantee that you will hear "UConn" or "Connecticut" shouted out as play names.

UConn WBB is far from invisible outside of Connecticut. It is the marquee brand of the sport.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Its fine the way it is if it means that you have blowouts then so be it.

I don't care either way, was just inferring what would give a semblence of competitive matchups.

Reaction Score
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the only time I can remember noticing or caring about women's basketball this season is when checking the score of a UConn game to see how preposterous the margin is. In a lot of ways, that's all sports are about, stirring conversation, creating debate, making you think and react. Personally, UConn's dominance is the lone source of intrigue, so it's really difficult to hold that against them. Perhaps the sport at large could be criticized for not finding a way to leverage that dominance into something that captivates the country in a sustainable way, but even then, I'm not sure what that would look like. Ultimately, it's a zero sum game. If UConn consumes all the attention, the emergence of something else would have to divert some of that attention. That can be good or bad, but the reality is that the men's game will always be able to recreate it on a much larger scale.

That said, I don't think there's any redeeming value to an 88 point blowout. It's not UConn's fault, but I also think you'd be disingenuous to sit here and act like that's a positive for the sport. Some poor team of college women came into that game riding the high of a lifetime and then went home feeling humiliated and worthless. You can't have that. Growing something, whatever it is, starts with making people feel good about themselves. Think about how much you have to give up as a woman in our society to seriously pursue basketball. Now do you think it gets any easier to be trotted out there to lose by 150 points (which is what it could have been) and embarrassed? Do you work like you do to so that you can be the lynchpin for whatever new dumb discussion twitter is having, so that you can be filed away and remembered as some trivia item? That would suck, man, and it sucks in a way that has real, long-term consequences. You can't just chalk that up to the dominance of Geno or the nature of athletics or whatever else. There's a reverberation of apathy that flows from some of this stuff. And it's not reverberating independent of misogyny, it's reverberating because of it. Don't let yourself get thrown by the misdirection.
It’s obvious you read nothing or heard nothing that will cause you to get off your high horse. The presser after the game says the kids loved the historic opportunity to play the best, and they enjoyed every minute. If it means so little to you, don't waste so much time writing a thesis.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If Vegas carried a line tonight, what would the money line be? Lay 20K on UConn to win 10 cents?
Pretty much. Spread -60?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If Vegas carried a line tonight, what would the money line be? Lay 20K on UConn to win 10 cents?
Pretty much. Spread -60?

It was 37. QU covered wasy.

Reaction Score
The women had a #16 beat a #1 long before it happened for the men.
C'mon...that's because that Stanford team was decimated by injuries. Not quite the same as what we just witnessed.

Reaction Score
Did I hear correctly that St Francis attempted 57 3-pointers. If that’s the case, what’s the debate. The plan backfired in a big way. They took a shot - and missed...and missed...and...

Reaction Score
I don't care either way, was just inferring what would give a semblence of competitive matchups.

I get what your saying but at least those teams have a shot and thats all you can ask for, and we see 3 high seeds going down right now on their home court and its too bad for QU they had to play Uconn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did I hear correctly that St Francis attempted 57 3-pointers. If that’s the case, what’s the debate. The plan backfired in a big way. They took a shot - and missed...and missed...and...
Yes, they were 10-57 on threes. St Francis is a run and gun team. They put up 81 shots overall and made only 22% of them. UConn had 69 rebounds and then they were off and running, their strength.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I get what your saying but at least those teams have a shot and thats all you can ask for, and we see 3 high seeds going down right now on their home court and its too bad for QU they had to play Uconn.

I agree. If I had to make a pick, I'd say let them all play in the 64. I mean, the girls from some of these small schools...this is the one cool thing they'll get to do. They probably have budgets of negative $10,000. Happy to have new balls every year, even if they do. So it's a great experience for them...what college sports is supposed to be all about anyway.

Reaction Score
One injury, although it happened right before the tourney. Van deer Veer hid the injury so she could get a 1 seed.
Huh. I trust you more than pretty much anyone. Don't know why I thought they were so decimated.

Reaction Score
I mean, the girls from some of these small schools...this is the one cool thing they'll get to do. They probably have budgets of negative $10,000. Happy to have new balls every year, even if they do. So it's a great experience for them...

I could not resist after reading the other thread with upside down genitalia.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom