OT- Uconn Women 94 pts at the half | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Uconn Women 94 pts at the half

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Too bad Quinnipiac has to play them next. Would've been nice if QU could've met them next round. Hopefully they can be somewhat competitive.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Too bad Quinnipiac has to play them next. Would've been nice if QU could've met them next round. Hopefully they can be somewhat competitive.

1385103600_by_olo555_inner.gif

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Apologies for the hot take, but I don’t think this is cool on UConn’s part. Gotta call off the dogs earlier, it is akin to stealing a base up 10 runs or throwing bombs up 4 touchdowns there should be greater sportsmanship if unevenly matched.

Geno took off the full court pressure mid way in the 1st quarter. They were walking the ball up the court. Can't tell the young ladies to stop playing. By running their offense, they shredded St. Francis.

Reaction Score
And people wonder why women's basketball is invisible outside of Connecticut. There is a reason that it shows up on ESPN2 across from the NFL.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
And people wonder why women's basketball is invisible outside of Connecticut. There is a reason that it shows up on ESPN2 across from the NFL.
Yeah but they lost last year. There's now a faint glimmer of hope.

Reaction Score
Geno took off the full court pressure mid way in the 1st quarter. They were walking the ball up the court. Can't tell the young ladies to stop playing. By running their offense, they shredded St. Francis.
The UConn bench out scored St Francis .
You don’t see that to often.
Geno’s bench is a top 10-20 women’s team maybe even higher.
There are probably 6 teams vaguely competitive that’s twice as many a 10-15 years ago

Reaction Score
Yeah but they lost last year. There's now a faint glimmer of hope.

To mix metaphors, Women's College Basketball begins its at bat with an 0-2 count and the umpire knowing the bat is corked. There are legions of people who will never watch women's basketball. I've watched exactly one such game in my life and that was because I knew one of the players. The population of people who will even consider watching the sport is a small subset of sports fans.

And then they see this kind of monstrosity. It confirms every preconception that people have about the quality of the game.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Didn't UConn play their bench most of the 2nd half?
He started pulling the starters about 4 minutes into the 2nd half, and he played at least 3 reserves the rest of the way. Starters and 1st reserve didn't play in the 4th quarter.
2nd leading scorer in the country, who leads the nation in made 3s plays for SFU. They held her scoreless in the first half.
At half time, SFU had 7 assists. UConn had 3 players with 8 assists each. SFU had 7 rebounds total at the half. UConn had 4 players with 8 rebounds each at the half.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
To mix metaphors, Women's College Basketball begins its at bat with an 0-2 count and the umpire knowing the bat is corked. There are legions of people who will never watch women's basketball. I've watched exactly one such game in my life and that was because I knew one of the players. The population of people who will even consider watching the sport is a small subset of sports fans.

And then they see this kind of monstrosity. It confirms every preconception that people have about the quality of the game.

It really should be a 28 team tournament with the top 4 seeds getting bi's. That's just where the game is at developmentally. The gulf between the top teams and the bottom is just stupid.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
The last time I checked the game is about winning not playing down to your competition. Does AL. play down to their competition so the other team can feel better about themselves?!

Reaction Score
The last time I checked the game is about winning not playing down to your competition. Does AL. play down to their competition so the other team can feel better about themselves?!

They can play the game as they like. It makes no difference to me. The amount of attention I have paid to the 2018 Women's NCAA Tournament can be described as "Making a few posts on this thread". When this thread concludes, I will return to a state of benign neglect. I am only making two points.

1. The population of people who will even consider watching Women's basketball is very small.

2. Games that demonstrate the non- competitive nature of the sport will reduce that population even further.

This was a tournament game, for goodness sake. UConn could have conceivably scored 200 points in that game. That wasn't a legitimate competition.

Reaction Score
They can play the game as they like. It makes no difference to me. The amount of attention I have paid to the 2018 Women's NCAA Tournament can be described as "Making a few posts on this thread". When this thread concludes, I will return to a state of benign neglect. I am only making two points.

1. The population of people who will even consider watching Women's basketball is very small.

2. Games that demonstrate the non- competitive nature of the sport will reduce that population even further.

This was a tournament game, for goodness sake. UConn could have conceivably scored 200 points in that game. That wasn't a legitimate competition.
That game will not deter fans of the sport..and tourney attendance was up this year at most sites...fans know this score is not relevant and Uconn is still beatable. Both Texas and ND had double digit leads on Uconn before the huskies came back and won. They’re struggle with bigs because they’re not very. It will be an interesting tourney starting in Albany. To argue fans won’t watch because Uconn pounded a bad team, 16 seed that had an automatic bid is ridiculous.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I rarely get to see a woman's game.But when I do I enjoy it. Nice to see how they play together. They are taught well. Thought I read na article just last week where a HS team demolished another team like 96-6. Coach left in his starters. It was main street news.

What I would like is our girls crushing Miss St. if they don't get upset early. A score of 99-6 in our favor would sit just right for me.

Reaction Score
When UConn knocks off Quinnipiac on Monday, that will be 25 straight Sweet Sixteens. Tennessee got there 27 consecutive times. A mix of amazing and a lack of parity.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
And another stat to drive some posters crazy:

St. Francis scored only 6 points from the 7 minutes mark of the 3rd quarter to the end of the game!. Only 4 points in the entire 4th quarter. UConn's bench held St. Francis to 4 points.

Reaction Score
Almost as insufferable as someone coming along and posting in whatever forum on a thread about the best TV shows, like The Wire and GOT, etc., and some takes the time to post about how they don't even OWN a TV. How gauche. Yeah, feel free to not expend even THIS much effort on women's basketball in the future. I have no idea why you think people with an opinion about the topic are interested in why you think they're stupid.

Reaction Score
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say the only time I can remember noticing or caring about women's basketball this season is when checking the score of a UConn game to see how preposterous the margin is. In a lot of ways, that's all sports are about, stirring conversation, creating debate, making you think and react. Personally, UConn's dominance is the lone source of intrigue, so it's really difficult to hold that against them. Perhaps the sport at large could be criticized for not finding a way to leverage that dominance into something that captivates the country in a sustainable way, but even then, I'm not sure what that would look like. Ultimately, it's a zero sum game. If UConn consumes all the attention, the emergence of something else would have to divert some of that attention. That can be good or bad, but the reality is that the men's game will always be able to recreate it on a much larger scale.

That said, I don't think there's any redeeming value to an 88 point blowout. It's not UConn's fault, but I also think you'd be disingenuous to sit here and act like that's a positive for the sport. Some poor team of college women came into that game riding the high of a lifetime and then went home feeling humiliated and worthless. You can't have that. Growing something, whatever it is, starts with making people feel good about themselves. Think about how much you have to give up as a woman in our society to seriously pursue basketball. Now do you think it gets any easier to be trotted out there to lose by 150 points (which is what it could have been) and embarrassed? Do you work like you do to so that you can be the lynchpin for whatever new dumb discussion twitter is having, so that you can be filed away and remembered as some trivia item? That would suck, man, and it sucks in a way that has real, long-term consequences. You can't just chalk that up to the dominance of Geno or the nature of athletics or whatever else. There's a reverberation of apathy that flows from some of this stuff. And it's not reverberating independent of misogyny, it's reverberating because of it. Don't let yourself get thrown by the misdirection.

Reaction Score
Although nowhere near as talented, I thought the UMBC men played a lot like the women huskies. Of course the results were much different but the movement and intensity were similar

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom