OT: UConn softball on FS1 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn softball on FS1

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Anyone ever catch the Raybestos Brakettes back in the day? We lived nearby the stadium when we were kids they were a huge event. I remember seeing this woman pitch back then:

Pretty amazing to watch. Couldn’t believe how fast they could throw underhand.

arch

Reaction Score
Anyone ever catch the Raybestos Brakettes back in the day? We lived nearby the stadium when we were kids they were a huge event. I remember seeing this woman pitch back then:

All the time in late 50s/60s? Cardinals too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Isn't there another board to which the mods could move this post?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Is there any chance I could have seen her in either the Hartford area or along the Shoreline in the mid-60s to 70s? I have very little recollection of being anywhere in coastal Fairfield County prior to 1977, but a sense that I saw her.

Reaction Score
They are having a real nice season. 27-13, 14-2 in the BE. Coach Valentino seems to be turning the program around nicely.

Met her briefly at a travel tourney couple years ago while she was scouting. Got really good vibes (get your minds out of the gutter gents), not surprised to see her achieving some success. If my daughter was a little bit better, would have loved to have her go play for her & UConn.

Reaction Score

The Meriden Falcons were formed after the Brakettes in the late 70s early 80s with Joan Joyce as well as many other star women’s professional softball players. Many of the stayed for the summer at the Holiday Inn in Meriden. I was a bell boy there, yep no joke lol. I got to know them even partied with a few on many given nights.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Joan Joyce was a phenomenal athlete. Her and Birtha Reagen Tickey were unhittable.

Reaction Score
Joan Joyce was a phenomenal athlete. Her and Birtha Reagen Tickey were unhittable.
Barbara Reinalda was also unhittable. If my memory is correct, I think she was the all time winningest pitcher in team history.
Those Brakettes teams were always a powerhouse.

Are they a team anymore ? I remember them changing there name to the Hi Ho Brakettes at one point in the 80’s.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

I watched Joan Joyce pitch a shutout against a 10 man softball team with only 4 Brakettes. My father pitched softball for the Norwalk A&P team. When I was old enough I asked him to show me his pitches. The riser, a curve, and his favorite dipsy doo where he would nick it off his baggy pant leg! Joan Joyce was a special athlete. She was still coaching in Florida right up to the end

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I watched Joan Joyce pitch a shutout against a 10 man softball team with only 4 Brakettes. My father pitched softball for the Norwalk A&P team. When I was old enough I asked him to show me his pitches. The riser, a curve, and his favorite dipsy doo where he would nick it off his baggy pant leg! Joan Joyce was a special athlete. She was still coaching in Florida right up to the end
She was the female Eddie Feigner, King and His Court who I've also seen live when I lived in Ansonia, if memory served the game was in Derby.

Reaction Score
Paige and Nika were in the stands watching. Nice to see them hanging out and having fun together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom