Ot: trying to get better at dribbling | The Boneyard

Ot: trying to get better at dribbling

Reaction Score
So I figured asking somebody would be better then watching a video which isn't as great as answering personal questions as other people are.

I can dribble between my legs decently. Right handed. Not decent by any means with my left. Anybody have any tips or drills with making a more fluent dribble. Any tips on crossing over? Anything is appreciated. Thanks

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Practicing. I had to learn how to dribble with my left because the hoop on my driveway was nailed over the garage on the right. The only thing going for me in basketball growing up was my ability to dribble and lay it up with my left hand.

Reaction Score
Practicing. I had to learn how to dribble with my left because the hoop on my driveway was nailed over the garage on the right. The only thing going for me in basketball growing up was my ability to dribble and lay it up with my left hand.
Just dribbling more often? Just getting more comfortable with my (nonexistent) moves?

Reaction Score
Inflate, moderately, a balloon. Tap the balloon in the air. Do each of the following at least 10 times while keeping the balloon off the ground:

1. Right hand pound, as hard as you can.
2. Left hand pound.
3. Right hand fake crossover
4. Left hand fake crossover
5. Right hand inside-out
6. Left hand inside-out
7. Right hand ski
8. Left hand ski
9. Right hand around right leg clockwise
10. Right hand around right leg counterclockwise
11. Left hand around left leg clockwise
12. Left hand around left leg counterclockwise
13. Figure 8 between legs
14. Figure 8 between legs reverse direction
15. Behind the back pounding crossover
16. Spider dribble

These are what I had my CYO kids do at every practice. We usually didn't do every one every time due to time constraints. I mixed them up. The balloon forces you to keep your eyes up and it moves in random directions so you need to use good footwork to stay in front of it. The balloon should go about 2-3 feet above your head. Any more or less is cheating and will limit the effectiveness. Dribble as hard as you can. If you aren't failing, you aren't going hard enough and you aren't getting better.

Reaction Score
Back and forth one hand to the other up and down the court between the legs, walk it until you get comfortable then add speed as you feel the need. Do it all day. Then do the same with each hand around the back up and back. Slow then add speed as comfort sets in.

Then combine left behind the back, right behind the back, left between the legs right between the legs and so on and so on.

Then get chairs or people (chairs are proof of your improvement as we know lol) and full speed at them to learn how to actually use both the behind the back and between the legs as an offensive proactive move and not just something in which you are cutting the mustard.

Based on dribbling 101 you really need to get strong with the left first to enable this to be a natural thing.

Reaction Score
Just google dribbling drills.

Two ball drills and tennis ball drills especially will help with coordination.

Always keep your eyes up. Make sure you practice going downhill with the ball; there's plenty of guys with flashy handles that can't do anything with it.

Just comes down to practice and dedication, man.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So I figured asking somebody would be better then watching a video which isn't as great as answering personal questions as other people are.

I can dribble between my legs decently. Right handed. Not decent by any means with my left. Anybody have any tips or drills with making a more fluent dribble. Any tips on crossing over? Anything is appreciated. Thanks

Are you asking for a friend???

Like others said, the only way to get better is repetition. Work slowly first and then pick up speed

Reaction Score
Just google dribbling drills.

Two ball drills and tennis ball drills especially will help with coordination.

Always keep your eyes up. Make sure you practice going downhill with the ball; there's plenty of guys with flashy handles that can't do anything with it.

Just comes down to practice and dedication, man.

Thought I'd add some more since I am avoiding work.

On crossovers: The ridiculous Iverson crossover is overrated. Not many people are good enough to do it well. Literally just practice keeping the ball low and then turning so you can protect the ball with your body.

- Other thoughts.. Always use an arm to shield the ball. It's an underrated way to help yourself. I've seen very flashy, coordinated dribblers get eaten alive because the don't use their forearm (shielding not pushing) to defend the ball.

- Assuming that you want this to have game-time pragmatism, then I'd work on basics first. Using the forearm, Reverse and fake-reverse dribbles (look up videos on this)

As far as coordination goes. Other than just getting a ball in your hand and practicing that left-right between the legs.

-Practice behind the back, especially after you've tried to drive but need to back out. Make sure the dribble is tight and low. The goal should be below and in between your knees is what I tell my players.

- Between both legs at your level is honestly probably more for show than for any game-day use.

Tips for drills and games:
-POUND the basketball into the ground on all of these. Chris Paul always said the ball should fly in the air if you miss the handle. It HAS to be fast and hard.
- Use the tips of your fingers and straighten your arm as your dribble to give you power
- eyes up ALWAYS.
- The point of a dribble is to create space and drive... well on that drive the LOW MAN wins. You need to take a long, long, LONG, first step. Runners lunge kind of long. It will help you get by defenders. Watch Lebron, when he drives, he is still lower than any person guarding him when he's on fire, despite his height.
- Use your body to guard the ball. Isaiah Thomas is an animal at this. He gets by someone and uses his butt to keep them on his side or back so he can look for open guys or shots.

Drills:
- One ball figure 8s both directions
- One ball by ankles/knees/shoulders.
- One ball windshield wipers (side to side in front of your foot)
- One ball paintbrush (up and down to your side)
- Two balls bouncing same time. stationary and on the run
- Two balls opposite. stationary and on the run
- Two balls one ball dribble low and fast, one dribble high by your shoulder
- One ball/one tennis ball (look up drills)... I suggest starting by just dribbling basketball and throwing and snatching with the other hand (palm down... not a catch... snatch). This is good to train you to keep that shield arm out. Steph Curry does great stuff with this.
-One ball/one tennis ball crossover... toss in the air.
- One ball/one tennis ball between the legs.. toss in the air
- One ball/one tennis ball behind the back..toss in the air
- One ball/one tennis ball... each of the four above except... Instead of tossing in the air and snatching, you bounce it against the wall and snatch it.
- Reverse dribble and fake-reverse dribble (aka spin dribble)
- There's more but I'll stop.. Haha

My teams do most of these drills every practice. 10 mins a day will make you a much better player if you're dedicated and deliberate.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
There's tons of good drills on YouTube -- some of the best to basically try and gradually master, are the Steph Curry and the Pete Maravich ones...

The best thing to do in general is just dribble while you're sitting or standing, as much as possible, just dribble without looking, get used to the ball being in your hands until you can just do anything while dribbling, like it's just second nature.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I used to just sit or stand in my garage or driveway or wherever and just dribble between the legs, with one hand, etc.

Reaction Score

As others suggested, practice, developing muscle memory is the key.

If you can't dribble all the time i'll suggest youtubing how to juggle. Roll up three pieces of paper and get some good bilateral hand eye coordination practice. I learned how because my father quickly enacted a "no balls in the house" rule when I was growing up.

Reaction Score
Looks like you already got a lot of feedback, but one thing I'll add is that once you have a decent proficiency, to make sure you are practicing the moves full speed (game speed). Dicking around with the ball is fine and part of having a good handle, but to be able to actually use your dribble moves to get by defenders, you need to practice them game speed.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Def true @King Husky -- that's seemingly a bit down the line, but for sure figuring out a few good moves and mastering them game speed is a good tactic.

I try to coach / teach young players to practice and gradually master 1,2,3 at most specific things,then once that happens you can keep adding things on, a step or two at a time.

Reaction Score
Also, if anybody has some links to some good videos, that would be well appreciated

Reaction Score
I've coached AAU for many years and there are many good comments above. I feel it is important to do it correctly slowly first, then once that is done correctly, you go till you can get up to game speed. Also, it is good to have one "go-to" move when you are under duress and again then add on as you perfect each one. Even at high levels, most great players have a go-to move that they utilize most of the time. Going between legs is actually pretty easy and easy to practice and a great move to change speed and direction and as someone said earlier try and be as low as you possibly can. Better Basketball is a DVD series that has nice stuff on various skills including dribbling.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Then get chairs or people (chairs are proof of your improvement as we know lol) and full speed at them to learn how to actually use both the behind the back and between the legs as an offensive proactive move and not just something in which you are cutting the mustard.

Unless the chair steals the ball and gets a lay up on you. Then it is time to find a new sport.

Look here.

Like most other things your results are going to be dependent on the time you invest in it more than anything else.

Reaction Score
A lot of good advice in this thread. Another thing you can do is practice dribbling a tennis ball. Once you can do a lot of what you want to do with a tennis ball doing it with a basketball is easier

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom