OT: Travelers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Travelers

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I live a mile as the crow flies from the TPC.
Will probably catch the last few players on Friday night and watch end up at the Survivor concert after.
If I can find a freebie in the neighborhood surrounding on Sunday may try to go for the end.
Otherwise I know of an unguarded entrance that I can sneak into.

Pro Tip for those going.

There is a back entrance in the neighborhoods where locals are partying and charging $5.00 to park in their yard.
Literally right across the street from an alternative entrance.

Search "Laurel Road" or "Field Road" in Cromwell.
No need to be stuck in any kind of traffic on 99 coming in from Rocky Hill.
Shadow Lane or Nooks Hill Road off of Route 99 (Main Street) in Cromwell will get you in quickly.

The smiley face below is where the secret locals entrance is.
Ticket scanners, security and all.
Park anywhere near there.
Locals will even sell you $1.00 waters to take in.

Enjoy!

View attachment 32279

Thanks for sharing that! I am gonna follow that advice this weekend when the crowds are large.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
First chance I had to look at who's playing and the leaderboard. They should be extremely proud of the field, particularly one week removed from a major. I remember going to the GHO as a kid and we never got this kind of star power.

The leaderboard is fantastic - so many big names within 7 shots on Friday.

I really love that this tourney keeps getting better and better. It would be nice if they tightened up the course a bit. 8 players shooting 65 or better, 22 players 66 or better is a bit much for my liking.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I really love that this tourney keeps getting better and better. It would be nice if they tightened up the course a bit. 8 players shooting 65 or better, 22 players 66 or better is a bit much for my liking.

But you know, many times you see scores level out here in subsequent rounds.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

The problem is after their confidence is destroyed at the US Open, a lot of guys like coming here for the birdiefest. If you take that away from them I think you'd see the field lose quality.

But you know, many times you see scores level out here in subsequent rounds.

This is true. Round 1 leader last year was Spieth. Shot -7. Finished the tourney at -12 and won.

In 2016, Jerry Kelly and Vaughn Taylor shared the R1 lead at -6. Kelly finished at -13. Taylor finished at -5. Russell Knox won at -14.

In 2015, Bubba led after R1 with -8. Finished at -16.

It gets tougher.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing that! I am gonna follow that advice this weekend when the crowds are large.

Here is what someone posted on the Cromwell Families FB group.
At the very least it will give you a GPS location to plug in.
I've never seen anyone charge more than $5.00.

It's a really cool and not known area.
And the yard and backyard parties going on look like a lot of fun.

upload_2018-6-22_10-0-30.png

ElGuapo

Reaction Score
Also,
The tournament is free after 12:00 (Noon) today with a sticker that's on the front of the Hartford Courant.
Or if anyone wants, I can send you an e-mail version I got this week.
Just PM me an e-mail address and I will forward the e-mail for you to show on your phone.
Up to four people can go in on each pass.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Headed tomorrow with Corp tent pass but will spend ton of time on course.

Will try alt parking - thanks for the heads up!!

Reaction Score
I was there all day today. Easily the biggest crowd I’ve ever seen on a Friday. Too bad the weather is a bit iffy over the weekend. Either way, I plan to be there both Sat and Sun. Great field this year. Even better than last year!!

Reaction Score
This may be a dumb question, but is it worth going? I'm not a golfer but live in town and was always curious if it is a good time even if you have little to no golf connection.

It is pretty awesome to see live...the first time I saw a pro hit a ball live, I was a walking scorer at this tournament. It's like, when they hit a tee shot, seems like it jets out and up a couple hundred yards at lightning speed...and then after that it gets extra jets and just goes up even higher and faster from there. It is a good time, especially if you're up for a lot of walking. And, if you live in town....gotta go at least once. Enjoy!

ElGuapo

Reaction Score
This may be a dumb question, but is it worth going? I'm not a golfer but live in town and was always curious if it is a good time even if you have little to no golf connection.

I live on Nooks Hill Road and enjoy riding our bikes or walking up to the Field Road area and seeing all of the partying and activity going on.
And then once inside you just realize the enormity of the course and the power it holds to bring in top golfers from around the world into our town.
The blimp circling over my house and re-positioning throughout the day is fun too.

If you have kids too its setup goodo for them in the fan zone.
Plus last night our family went and saw the band Survivor.
Not bad for being in our backyard.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Here is what someone posted on the Cromwell Families FB group.
At the very least it will give you a GPS location to plug in.
I've never seen anyone charge more than $5.00.

It's a really cool and not known area.
And the yard and backyard parties going on look like a lot of fun.

View attachment 32306
Its 10 bucks today and a short walk to entrance at 6th hole

20180623_105658.jpg

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I didn't go today thinking it was gonna be a washout. Might head over tomorrow morning and then try to get home in time to beat the traffic out and catch the finish on TV.

Spieth looked terrible yesterday. Was maybe the worst player on the course for a stretch there. Webb took that title though for the "name" golfers.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Bubba won at Riviera for the third time earlier this year and now has three Traveller's wins. Two at Augusta.

He has a tough time figuring out some courses with sightlines. Cromwell ain't one if them.

Reaction Score
It seems like this event gets better and better every year. Next year it will be tough to get the same caliber field because the US Open will be 3,000 miles away at Pebble Beach.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
It seems like this event gets better and better every year. Next year it will be tough to get the same caliber field because the US Open will be 3,000 miles away at Pebble Beach.

They may be able to compensate by picking off guys heading back to Europe. I'm thinking Tommy Fleetwood, Sergio again... Probably won't be quite the same caliber but I'm expecting a fairly competitive field.

Reaction Score
Looking at Google Maps below, I'd add some dirt to the tee box area on 16 (looking from the tee to the green, I'd put it to the right of the existing tee). As for 17, it looks like some higher land on a mound to the left of the existing tee box (looks brownish on the map).

I've never been on the course so this is strictly based off of watching on TV and looking at the maps. Not the end of the world. I really like the excitement of the last 4 holes but I'd like at least one of them holes to make them lay off the accelerator and have to pause/think how to avoid a big number.

View attachment 32248
I’ve played there since it was Edgewood in early 60s, and almost all iterations since. Just not the latest. You’d be put the tee in the lake to avoid tee shots from 15.

Reaction Score
They send a charter plane for them. First class all the way.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I’ve played there since it was Edgewood in early 60s, and almost all iterations since. Just not the latest. You’d be put the tee in the lake to avoid tee shots from 15.
Yeah on the old 9 hole track. Remember the straight uphill holes and the lake was ugly and required a carry over the wall to the green. I’ve only played the current layout once in a fundraiser. The only hole we played from the tournament tee was #16 which I somehow parred. Actual a very good tee shot. I had a generally bad day but did manage to par #10. It was so hot that the sponsors sent out bottled water and cold towels every 20-25 minutes. Even riding it was exhausting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Well, 17 sealed Casey's fate. He pushed it right in to the lake. That was my original premise. Players can smash the gas pedal the entire back nine. I like seeing one of the last few holes be a reality check and gut check.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom