OT Tom Cruise rant | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Tom Cruise rant

Reaction Score
I don’t mean that the rant was great acting. I mean that he is a great actor. Total whack job but gives his all to his job from all appearances. I loved many of his movies because of how good he was in his role.

I'd say he's a great movie star and occasionally a great actor. He's sort of like Clooney to me in that you're always conscious of the fact that it's him when he's on screen, and he gets by mostly on charisma and charm.

I sort of wish he'd ditch the whole Scientology thing, reckon with who he is really is, and maybe do something interesting for a change.

Reaction Score
I don’t mean that the rant was great acting. I mean that he is a great actor. Total whack job but gives his all to his job from all appearances. I loved many of his movies because of how good he was in his role.
Punani seems equally important. 8 months, dammit! No 6'3" lacrosse player shall have a woman over Tom Cruise!!!!!

Reaction Score
This dude actually is a good actor in an era of crappy actors. He has people believing this is real. That's impressive.

Apart from that, he's a total loon who has power to abuse Scientologists.

Reaction Score
I know. He's a great movie star but I don't consider him a great actor. I enjoy a lot of his movies and he has been really good in a few roles but I always still feel like I'm watching Tom Cruise. There are other big stars who are chameleons and I forget I'm watching them. Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, Denzel, Christian Bale, Benicio del Toro, Ed Norton, Sean Penn, McConaughey, Jake Gyllenhaal etc.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1608331639065.png

Wanted to like this but it is deleted. Consider it liked.

(FWIW, I'm hear it to "I wanna rock" probably because he was basically riffing off the intro.)

"I've got a good mind to slap your face."

(FWIW, It sounds to me like it was initially a tantrum and then he decided to go into a TC character for a rant to cover it up.)

Reaction Score
View attachment 62650
Wanted to like this but it is deleted. Consider it liked.

(FWIW, I'm hear it to "I wanna rock" probably because he was basically riffing off the intro.)

"I've got a good mind to slap your face."

(FWIW, It sounds to me like it was initially a tantrum and then he decided to go into a TC character for a rant to cover it up.)

We need some NWOBHM/thrash riffs. Mercyful Fate Lite. Even old Def Leppard would work better. Link is "Me and My Wine".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd say he's a great movie star and occasionally a great actor. He's sort of like Clooney to me in that you're always conscious of the fact that it's him when he's on screen, and he gets by mostly on charisma and charm.

I sort of wish he'd ditch the whole Scientology thing, reckon with who he is really is, and maybe do something interesting for a change.
I know. He's a great movie star but I don't consider him a great actor. I enjoy a lot of his movies and he has been really good in a few roles but I always still feel like I'm watching Tom Cruise. There are other big stars who are chameleons and I forget I'm watching them. Daniel Day-Lewis, Gary Oldman, Denzel, Christian Bale, Benicio del Toro, Ed Norton, Sean Penn, McConaughey, Jake Gyllenhaal etc.
I’m not saying he’s the greatest or that he’s versatile. He’s kind of like John Wayne in that he’s always playing a different version of the same character, but it’s a believable, iconic character and the movies are memorable and iconic in large part because of him.

Jimmy Stewart was a better actor but John Wayne is the icon.

He’s far from my favorite, but he’s great at what he does IMO.

Reaction Score
I’m not saying he’s the greatest or that he’s versatile. He’s kind of like John Wayne in that he’s always playing a different version of the same character, but it’s a believable, iconic character and the movies are memorable and iconic in large part because of him.

Jimmy Stewart was a better actor but John Wayne is the icon.

He’s far from my favorite, but he’s great at what he does IMO.

He's a complete lunatic but I'm a big Cruise guy. Can't wait for Top Gun 2. I made my wife sit through the one with Cameron Diaz where he plays a spy or some _____ and crashes a plane in a cornfield because it was on cable a few months ago. I kept saying "Man . . . . I love Cruise" every ten minutes and she thought I was insane. An objectively stupid movie but there's something about the guy I find compulsively watchable.

Reaction Score
Cruise doesn’t let you down, often. He takes the big roles and produces. However, I can’t think of a single role where I’ve thought he’s a great actor. Believe it or not I think his best acting was in the first half of War of the Worlds. He made a good deadbeat dad. But I love the big films he stars in. Collateral was great, he was okay. Same with Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, and the freaky Eyes Wide Shut - which I also loved but again nothing incredible from him. In fact, Nichole was better. Interview, the Firm, Born on 4th, Far and Away, Color of Money, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, Top Gun, Risky Business... all great, big flicks but nothing about his acting says wow. Yet, he’s in these hugely successful films all the time. He rarely lets you down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've never found his 'angry voice' to be very intimidating. Especially when he's really loud... it's almost as annoying as Boeheim's voice. And face.
He learned early on, when it comes to someone's livelihood -

Reaction Score
Cruise doesn’t let you down, often. He takes the big roles and produces. However, I can’t think of a single role where I’ve thought he’s a great actor. Believe it or not I think his best acting was in the first half of War of the Worlds. He made a good deadbeat dad. But I love the big films he stars in. Collateral was great, he was okay. Same with Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, and the freaky Eyes Wide Shut - which I also loved but again nothing incredible from him. In fact, Nichole was better. Interview, the Firm, Born on 4th, Far and Away, Color of Money, A Few Good Men, Rain Man, Top Gun, Risky Business... all great, big flicks but nothing about his acting says wow. Yet, he’s in these hugely successful films all the time. He rarely lets you down.
Don't forget this classic!

Reaction Score
I don’t care about his rants or views. I’m very excited to see the new Top Gun. Whenever it gets released.

Reaction Score
He's already taken over a Rome hospital and created a scene where they're filming and getting in the way of Covid patients and staff. The guy doesn't give a s*** about anyone other than Tom Cruise.
Link?

Reaction Score
He is right, he is wrong, he is a crazy nutjob, he is awesome, he's in a cult....all are true. He has some damn good movies. I enjoy them. I also have seen a lot of scientology docs and most stuff is really tough to ignore. Pretty ugly stuff. A Few Good Men is one of my favorite movies and my name is not Jon Rothstein. His personal life is mostly gross but anyone that thinks he is not a good actor is letting their beliefs bleed into their opinion. The man can act. Not just an action star. He may be reprehensible but he has chops.

Reaction Score
The biggest 80's stars. Mel Gibson...nuts, Cruise...nuts, Harrison Ford..has crashed like 5 choppers and 3 airplanes. People always judged musicians by their personal lives. I liked Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and AC/DC in high school and people thought I was crazy. Lol

Reaction Score
The biggest 80's stars. Mel Gibson...nuts, Cruise...nuts, Harrison Ford..has crashed like 5 choppers and 3 airplanes. People always judged musicians by their personal lives. I liked Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath and AC/DC in high school and people thought I was crazy. Lol
"There is a fine line between genius and insanity" was a quote I read somewhere. Not saying these actors are geniuses, but not saying they are not insane either. Talent in one area of life, deficits in other areas.

I think Brando was to say the least, eccentric.

On the other hand, if you believe the stories, some celebrities have balanced and solid lives, like Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, a married couple who have been together for years.

Just my take.

Reaction Score
He is right, he is wrong, he is a crazy nutjob, he is awesome, he's in a cult....all are true. He has some damn good movies. I enjoy them. I also have seen a lot of scientology docs and most stuff is really tough to ignore. Pretty ugly stuff. A Few Good Men is one of my favorite movies and my name is not Jon Rothstein. His personal life is mostly gross but anyone that thinks he is not a good actor is letting their beliefs bleed into their opinion. The man can act. Not just an action star. He may be reprehensible but he has chops.
I liked him in "The Firm" with Jean Tripplehorn and Gene Hackman. He did seem to portray a young and naïve lawyer caught up in the glitz of the initial interview, and then conniving to get out of the situation.

Arthur Hill was in that film, and I always liked him from Law and Order.

I thought he was good in "A Few Good Men." He at the end, despite wanting to have the case pleaded out, had the guts or bravado to confront the Commander. Not sure how often in real life, a witness just cracks like that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've actually never seen Top Gun, Days of Thunder, any of the Mission Impossible films or a dozen others like Far and Away or All the Right Moves.

The first film I recall seeing him in was Taps, which I loved; as a freshman in high school it hit me at the right time.

As a junior when Risky Business came out, it could not have had more impact on me and my krewe. When my parents left for a three-week road trip that summer and the next and I had the house to myself, it was pretty obvious what example I was following then.

As a law student I was totally absorbed in The Firm as a book, and I thought the movie did a very good job of following it; and A Few Good Men is one of my favorite legal movies of all time. Everyone focuses on the classic exchange with Nicholson but there are so many great little scenes and nuances that he executes so well. My favorite is the scene where he is holding the bat while walking past his closet when he gets the epiphany about Santiago's clothes still being in his closet.

I've always thought that his role in Rain Man was probably pretty close to how he is in real life. Jerry McGuire is probably his most complete role and he really nailed it imo.

His bit part in Tropic Thunder was also a nice change and may be the best comparison to the rant that is the subject of the OP.

Reaction Score
"There is a fine line between genius and insanity" was a quote I read somewhere. Not saying these actors are geniuses, but not saying they are not insane either. Talent in one area of life, deficits in other areas.

I think Brando was to say the least, eccentric.

On the other hand, if you believe the stories, some celebrities have balanced and solid lives, like Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick, a married couple who have been together for years.

Just my take.
Well, Kevin Bacon is the center of the universe, but he's a lousy forking softball player.

1608386415533.png

Reaction Score
Agree about the chameleon take. John Malkovich. I like all of these actors and for some great actors I think it's more about their true personas than acting skill. Robert De Niro is always Robert De Niro, and he's also kind of losing his mind. Shia LeBeouf is up there in both talent and nutty. Denzel is a great star and a lot of it is because he is just a cool mf and I always know I'm watching Denzel.

Then I find this and it just basically lists all the popular actors.

Actors who can act "Convincingly" outside their own persona - IMDb

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Christian bale has a better freak out recording.
He's also a better actor; but again, not nearly the icon or star that Cruise is.

I've probably said this before on the Entertainment board, but I think Bale is one of the most underrated actors in history. Another one who is apparently very tightly wound in real life and very intense.

Great range. Among the best imo.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
He's also a better actor; but again, not nearly the icon or star that Cruise is.

I've probably said this before on the Entertainment board, but I think Bale is one of the most underrated actors in history. Another one who is apparently very tightly wound in real life and very intense.

Great range. Among the best imo.
Agreed. Underrated film of his was American Psycho when he was fairly unknown. I had to read the book for a literature class in college. Professor was a little wacky... Have to watch it a few times but I still use quotes from that movie on probably a weekly basis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom