OT TO not getting into HOF for 2nd time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT TO not getting into HOF for 2nd time

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He should have been a first ballot Hall of Famer.

It's embarrassing for the NFL that he didn't get in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Terrell Owens is what not to be in a teammate, not a team player or not even a sometimes nice guy - he was/is a Pr*ck
He was a cancer (I know I hate that term) on EVERY team he played
Never had anything positive to say about anybody but himself
Yes he had talent but that was over a ton of years
I would not vote for him on the first, second, third or fourth ballot BUT I would vote for him on last year of eligibility - you know why? because he would do that to someone else and probably everyone else not named TO
As I said, HOF stats but gutter personality and person
He'll get in but I bet 90% of the NFL and fans don't care

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Joe Jacoby? Couldn't agree more.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Winning football is so much more than stats, it's the ultimate team game. And TO was the ultimate me-first player.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

By my rough calculations, seems like 80% of fans think he deserves to be in, notwithstanding his personality.

Reaction Score
Did TO ever walk off the field while the game was in progress or am I confusing him with Randy Moss?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Winning football is so much more than stats, it's the ultimate team game. And TO was the ultimate me-first player.
Taylor-made Diva wide receivers are prone to be just that.

I listened to the explanation KeyShawn Johnson gave on WEEI on why he thinks none of the Patriots' wideouts would make any other team's 53 man roster. It was horse-dung. He said a good receiver has the ability to freelance. In my opinion, he implied, without saying it, that none of the Patriot receivers are #1 Diva types and therefore must stick to the system. Well, yeah!!! By definition, football is a system driven sport and with all the info a QB must process before and after the snap, why is it up to him to further seek out a freelancing receiver? Isn't it more efficient for the receiver to be where he is diagrammed?

Bringing this back to TO, Yes, he has the All-Pros, Pro-Bowls, >1,000 catches and the yards, but as a wideout, someone has to throw him the ball. I would think he would make that as easy on the passer as he could. At the end of the day, I'd take the rings over the yellow sport coat any day of the week and twice on Super Bowl Sunday.

Reaction Score
Owens should be a hall of famer. Absolutely.

Reaction Score
...that was my point....I don't care how good you are, to claim to be better than those on the winning teams...it's not sour grapes I would be afraid of, it's something that smells much worse. Sure eventually he should get in, but humility is a lesson not easily learned!

Reaction Score
..that was my point...I don't care how good you are, to claim to be better than those on the winning teams..it's not sour grapes I would be afraid of, it's something that smells much worse. Sure eventually he should get in, but humility is a lesson not easily learned!
So are Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson more deserving than Warren Moon, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino?
Is Brian Scalabrine more deserving than Charles Barkley?

The HOF is an individual award, and you want to use the fact his teams never won a Super Bowl as a reason to keep him out? That's nonsensical. The guy broke his leg and tore a ligament in his ankle and came back 7 weeks later to catch 9 passes for 122 yards in the Super Bowl. They lost by 3 to Brady and the Patriots. Great call by you, especially since TO didn't say he was better than the Patriots receivers.

Humility has nothing to do with it. It's an excuse you're using to "punish" him because you don't like him.

Reaction Score

He would have been first ballot HOF if he was not such an embarrassment for the NFL. No spitting match nomar but you got it bass ackwards...;)

Terrell Owens is what not to be in a teammate, not a team player or not even a sometimes nice guy - he was/is a Pr*ck
He was a cancer (I know I hate that term) on EVERY team he played
Never had anything positive to say about anybody but himself
Yes he had talent but that was over a ton of years
I would not vote for him on the first, second, third or fourth ballot BUT I would vote for him on last year of eligibility - you know why? because he would do that to someone else and probably everyone else not named TO
As I said, HOF stats but gutter personality and person
Bingo! ... A** h**es have to wait...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Next year it will be Randy Moss and Ray Lewis getting in. I wonder if Ray Lewis speech is gonna make any sense.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He would have been first ballot HOF if he was not such an embarrassment for the NFL. No spitting match nomar but you got it bass ackwards..;)

Bingo! .. A** h**es have to wait..

Voters are actually not permitted to consider off-the-field behavior.

Reaction Score

Good news for the voters is they don't have to take lie detector tests on that subject.

If they did he'd be in they'd be out!

Reaction Score

Nomar, again no spitting match but the voters are not computers or robots, think about it...I refer you to the gentleman with post #32

By my rough calculations, seems like 80% of fans think he deserves to be in, notwithstanding his personality.

This issue is not rocket science, you pretty much answered your own query. If you really feel that voters would not have a bit of thought other than on field performance please contact me through PM. I have a lot of really good investment opportunities available. ;)

Reaction Score
So are Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler and Brad Johnson more deserving than Warren Moon, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino?
Is Brian Scalabrine more deserving than Charles Barkley?

The HOF is an individual award, and you want to use the fact his teams never won a Super Bowl as a reason to keep him out? That's nonsensical. The guy broke his leg and tore a ligament in his ankle and came back 7 weeks later to catch 9 passes for 122 yards in the Super Bowl. They lost by 3 to Brady and the Patriots. Great call by you, especially since TO didn't say he was better than the Patriots receivers.

Humility has nothing to do with it. It's an excuse you're using to "punish" him because you don't like him.
Different sport but point taken, ever hear of Ty Cob? My point is TO does get in but when your mouth gets in the way of the voter??? So I could care less wether he gets in or not...getting in just means you were great atheliticaly in the position you played...Doesn't mean you were a great person! You read far too much in my previous post as I stated he does get into the HOF...better question to ask a player - would you prefer a HOF membership or a SB championship ring? The answer to this may not qualify/disqualify you for HOF status but does give insight into your personality. Also, in my career I have been a star contributor who has elevated his co-workers, been challenged by them, and suffered great success because of them. So with TO making claims of what he deserved - you tell me. I see in your statements strong opinions of what is deserved. Again, if Ty Cob can make the BHOF why not TO in the FHOF? And I was knocking comments of him belittling members of the winning SB team...my point was they have something he does not a Ring. And how you infer I was implying he shouldn't be in the hall because he doesn't have one - is silly, understandable if you take my comment out of context, -hint follow the train of thought of previous posters, and you might learn your post was silly too!

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Hated the guys antics and he played for two of my Giant's biggest rivals.

He deserved a blazer last year.

Reaction Score
Different sport but point taken, ever hear of Ty Cob? My point is TO does get in but when your mouth gets in the way of the voter??? So I could care less wether he gets in or not..getting in just means you were great atheliticaly in the position you played..Doesn't mean you were a great person! You read far too much in my previous post as I stated he does get into the HOF..better question to ask a player - would you prefer a HOF membership or a SB championship ring? The answer to this may not qualify/disqualify you for HOF status but does give insight into your personality. Also, in my career I have been a star contributor who has elevated his co-workers, been challenged by them, and suffered great success because of them. So with TO making claims of what he deserved - you tell me. I see in your statements strong opinions of what is deserved. Again, if Ty Cob can make the BHOF why not TO in the FHOF? And I was knocking comments of him belittling members of the winning SB team..my point was they have something he does not a Ring. And how you infer I was implying he shouldn't be in the hall because he doesn't have one - is silly, understandable if you take my comment out of context, -hint follow the train of thought of previous posters, and you might learn your post was silly too!
A) it's Ty Cobb
B) that entire post is clown shoes.
C) Keyshawn Johnson =/= Terrell Owens. Believe it or not those are actually two different black guys. TO didn't say anything about the Pats receivers moron, Keyshawn Johnson did. Now go talk to someone else about silly posts.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Nomar, again no spitting match but the voters are not computers or robots, think about it..I refer you to the gentleman with post #32

I'm not sure what you think "notwithstanding" meant in that context. I meant most people (according to my perusal of the ESPN.com comments section etc.) seemed able to look past his off-field transgressions and judge his HOF worthiness based solely on his play.

Although I pointed out what voters are supposed to do, by the terms of the rules, I'm not so naive so as to think all of them actually do that. Obviously a lot of them didn't, or else TO would've gotten in. Because he was a transcendent player.

Your posts had a weird condescending tone not justified by their content.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
NFL HoF is not voted on like MLB HoF is. NFL players must be nominated and a case is presented in front of a lot less people.

In my opinion, a lot more deserving players had to wait longer than 2 years. He'll probably get in, but I, for one am not losing sleep on him not getting in on his second ballot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom