OT: Tinnitus | The Boneyard

OT: Tinnitus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I consider everyone here family so I thought I would seek feedback from my fellow Yarders.

I have some modest ringing in both ears (commonly referred to as tinnitus). It really only impacts me at night when trying to sleep but, that said, I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions/personal experiences to share as to how to reduce the symptoms and whether you ultimately were able to eliminate it altogether..

FYI, I am going to an ENT on Weds. - seems like a long way away...

thanks in advance!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I consider everyone here family so I thought I would seek feedback from my fellow Yarders.

I have some modest ringing in both ears (commonly referred to as tinnitus). It really only impacts me at night when trying to sleep but, that said, I would love to hear if anyone has suggestions/personal experiences to share as to how to reduce the symptoms and whether you ultimately were able to eliminate it altogether..

thanks in advance!
Well it's not a cure but it might help you to get to sleep. Try tapping your ear lobe gently but quickly with your finger. The resulting noise can give very temporary relief from the tinnitus, maybe just enough to let you nod off.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
I was going to suggest seeing an ENT so that's good, he/she will probably prescribe you something that should help. Good luck!

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I saw an ENT about something else, but tinnitus came up but nothing was suggested. It does not bother me when I sleep (as yet), but would be interested to hear what is suggested for you.

Reaction Score

thanks in advance!

Good luck man.

Reaction Score
Well it's not a cure but it might help you to get to sleep. Try tapping your ear lobe gently but quickly with your finger. The resulting noise can give very temporary relief from the tinnitus, maybe just enough to let you nod off.

thanks CL, will give it a try.

Reaction Score
My wife worked for the American Tinnitus Association (www.ata.org) for many years. She suggests that you ask the ENT - maybe ahead of your appointment - if he or she knows about treating or testing for tinnitus. Some do, some don’t. The ATA may be able to suggest an ENT or audiologist near you (depending on where you are) who’s knowledgeable in it. In the meantime, listening to some quiet background “white noise” – like the sound of ocean waves, or whatever is pleasant – from a bedside CD or sound generator might help mask out the nighttime tinnitus.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
My wife worked for the American Tinnitus Association (www.ata.org) for many years. She suggests that you ask the ENT - maybe ahead of your appointment - if he or she knows about treating or testing for tinnitus. Some do, some don’t. The ATA may be able to suggest an ENT or audiologist near you (depending on where you are) who’s knowledgeable in it. In the meantime, listening to some quiet background “white noise” – like the sound of ocean waves, or whatever is pleasant – from a bedside CD or sound generator might help mask out the nighttime tinnitus.
That's good advice. Tinnitus is a very common problem and will usually improve over time but I have had some patients for which it becomes a chronic problem.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

thanks in advance!

I wish I knew what to tell you, but all I can do is wish you the best of luck.

Reaction Score
I have no clue, but have you tried sleeping with headphones/music?

Reaction Score

thanks in advance!

I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so I have no clue, but I wish you the best in finding a solution and cure!

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I experienced it for a few days and its just real annoying, thankfully mine went away. It can be caused by strenuous bike riding and the way the neck is positioned when you ride (my cause - I spin a lot). I'm much more careful now. Hopefully yours is curable; the ENT is definitely the right course of action.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Since OP has yet to respond to this I'm going to reiterate this and change the font size. @Steve85, the following post was sent by CTfanOregon. I agree with everyone who recommends going to an ENT but some ENT's specialize in Tinnitus. It is a problem with many etiologies and going to someone who observes lots of patients with the problem will increase your chances of determining your problem quicker. Look at it this way. SN, RB and DD are all great bb players but I want SN and RB as the primary ball handlers. ENTs can all be great doctors but some are better tinnitus handlers.
From CTfanOregon:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Spend less time on the boneyard. Tinnitus gone. Done and done.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I am amazed that there is an American Tinnitus Association. :confused:

Reaction Score

thanks in advance!

There is an effective remedy you can now buy over-the-counter. Works well for me. LIPO-FLAVONOID PLUS. Take 1 caplet every 3 hours at first...follow directions. Believe me, "It works!"

Reaction Score
There is an effective remedy you can now buy over-the-counter. Works well for me. LIPO-FLAVONOID PLUS. Take 1 caplet every 3 hours at first...follow directions. Believe me, "It works!"
I was going to say that I was in CVS the other day and next to the pain relievers was a product for the relief of tinnitus.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Have you tried having a couple of cookies before bed?

If it works, great.

If it doesn't, hey, at least you've had some cookies.

Reaction Score

thanks Giovanni. is it supposed to manage/reduce symptoms or eventually eliminate them altogether? thanks!

Reaction Score
That's good advice. Tinnitus is a very common problem and will usually improve over time but I have had some patients for which it becomes a chronic problem.

Husky Harry, I would really appreciate your opinion here. I have until Weds. before my ENT appointment. (I understand the proper disclaimer is called for here: just your opinion as you haven't actually seen me.)

I had wax drained from my ears 4 weeks ago via syringe (looked like a giant water gun actually) at an immediate care clinic as I couldn't wait and it was a Saturday. Is there any chance the gushing of liquid around the ears could cause discomfort to the ear (cilia hairs perhaps) leading to tinnitus? Or possibly that some wax remained in my ears in such a place as to cause the ringing?

I should add I just noticed the ringing this week, about 3 wks after the syringe was used. Also I was given a prescription for antipyrine benzocaine but I hadn't picked it up as I had no symptoms until this week (no ringing) and no apparent wax build-up either (as I have no hearing issues).

might the antipyrine benzocaine work at this point to dissolve any possible wax that remains and/or to help "calm" my ears (for lack of a better term) so as to end/reduce the tinnitus?

I know, again, proper disclaimer required here... thanks in advance!

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Tinnitus might occur from mechanical irritation from washing but is more commonly associated with a viral infection (common cold) or mild head trauma that could disrupt the small stones (otoliths) on the end of the hair cells.
Benzocaine topically will deaden sensation but would not likely improve nerve function from the inner ear. Gentle hydrogen peroxide rinses or Debrox drops can help dissolve wax buildup. Good luck!

Reaction Score
Tinnitus might occur from mechanical irritation from washing but is more commonly associated with a viral infection (common cold) or mild head trauma that could disrupt the small stones (otoliths) on the end of the hair cells.
Benzocaine topically will deaden sensation but would not likely improve nerve function from the inner ear. Gentle hydrogen peroxide rinses or Debrox drops can help dissolve wax buildup. Good luck!

Harry, thank you for your thoughts. much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom