OT - The Success of Storrs Center | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - The Success of Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ROTC building is long gone. They used to need a large truck to deliver all the kegs for the parties they held there. Those were the days. Late seventies to early eighties.

Organizations would sponsor "beerfest" as fundraisers. 25 cents for a 12oz draft. My fraternity would do so on occasion. Usually bought about 40-50 kegs. Usually ran out in 2-3 hours. Good times. And made oodles of money.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Also recall the Add/Drop madhouse in the ROTC building. Fun times!

When I was a Freshman, they still called it 'Drop/Add' - until several folks got really bored waiting in those crazy lines and defaced all the signage so that they read 'Drop/Acid'.

My Sophomore year, they abruptly renamed it 'Add/Drop'...

Reaction Score
It was the number one concern among students - lack of a downtown/shopping area. The school and the state listened and it looks like they did it right. I have still not been there, but I look forward to taking my kids to Storrs and visiting Storrs Center and of course the dairy bar. Hopefully soon.

It's already unrecognizable to me, and I graduated in 2008.

Reaction Score
We had a bar in the Student Union called The Rathskeller.

And although Rathskeller means a bar in the celler of a public building, this was on the second (or third) floor.

Reaction Score
Also recall the Add/Drop madhouse in the ROTC building. Fun times!
In addition to scoping out the best coeds, working at Add/Drop paid off in many ways beyond the obvious regular hourly pay, re-sale of stamped drop cards to struggling students, and other fringe benefits. Totally inefficient process, yet very beneficial. Similarly, working at Teds and Huskies had its advantages.

Reaction Score
We had a bar in the Student Union called The Rathskeller.

And although Rathskeller means a bar in the celler of a public building, this was on the second (or third) floor.
I remember a pool hall in there, somewhere too?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I always thought that a quality or high end sports bar would clean house up there! Especially with parents who are visiting or faculty during the week. Let the kids have it on the weekends!
I also have had a tough time with what is considered "shopping" in Storrs Center. I struggle to call fast food and a walk in clinic shopping. Wondering why there isn't a store like the Gap or Jcrew up there, seems like the perfect demo on campus. One of those Best Buy Expess stores would clean house up there IMO, there's nowhere to go to get electronics or gadgets.

1) You have to think a lack of a bar there has something to do with the People's republic of Mansfield. St Geno got his grille in, but it may take that kind of pull to get anything similar.
2) The "best buy express" items are likely covered by the Co-op, at least for students.

Reaction Score
1) You have to think a lack of a bar there has something to do with the People's republic of Mansfield. St Geno got his grille in, but it may take that kind of pull to get anything similar.
2) The "best buy express" items are likely covered by the Co-op, at least for students.

You are a wise soul.

Zoning - not a problem getting a liquor license to a restaurant. Problem is the current zoning in that area does not allow for a bar or pub use. Meaning you can open something called a restaurant as long as you serve food and stop serving liquor at 11pm.

There would be a dozen bars in the downtown right now if zoning supported that use. From what I have heard there is a lot of wrestling going on behind the curtain to get one pub approved. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom