OT - The Success of Storrs Center | The Boneyard

OT - The Success of Storrs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015...-among-22-projects-nominated-for-global-award

This is a big deal.

The Urban Land Institute is the leading global organization of development/construction. Out of nearly 200 projects nominated, Storrs Center was one of 22 selected for consideration for a prize for Excellence.

Why?

A little history:

There has been - let's just point to the last 30 years - a lot of rotten stuff happening in construction around the UConn campus. Bonehead errors and fundamentally shoddy corrupt unprofessional FUBAR. And some good. The Town of Mansfield, with more enlightened leaders, and the UConn administration recognized that in 2002-2003 and set an RFP to develop the land, still owned by the University, at Dog Lane. Took about 8 years before they had a groundbreaking. Key components of the development team peeled away. The lead Master-developer was extremely stretched. But, with a huge dollop of State & Federal monies for infrastructure, we now have a "downtown" in a Rural setting.

Needless to say, this is hard to do organically. Sure there has always been a lot of traffic - both pedestrian and vehicular. Some restaurant/retailers took a big risk signing up. The fit of all this? It's became like casting a intricate Hollywood Rom-com. It's not Disney; but, it is an interesting mix of tenancy for a Product that isn't your standard Soap Brand. Then, the RESIDENTIAL has taken off and, if you don't know, are really healthy rentals.

KUDOS to the University, the Mansfield Downtown Partnership and the Town. And the development phasing continues. Global honors. Yes, I have some knowledge about this: it is unusual. You would be surprised about what the other 22 developments were like. Rural Mixed Use development of a CollegeTown isn't often done well.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
It was the number one concern among students - lack of a downtown/shopping area. The school and the state listened and it looks like they did it right. I have still not been there, but I look forward to taking my kids to Storrs and visiting Storrs Center and of course the dairy bar. Hopefully soon.

Reaction Score
My one complaint is who they're renting to. A walk in clinic and the puppetry museum don't increase foot traffic. They are in prime locations. I get it though that at least the walk in clinic probably pays good rent. As an aside I walked through a building where they were having a puppetry convention on campus... It's EXACTLY like you would expect.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
http://dailycampus.com/stories/2015...-among-22-projects-nominated-for-global-award

This is a big deal.

The Urban Land Institute is the leading global organization of development/construction. Out of nearly 200 projects nominated, Storrs Center was one of 22 selected for consideration for a prize for Excellence.

Why?

A little history:

There has been - let's just point to the last 30 years - a lot of rotten stuff happening in construction around the UConn campus. Bonehead errors and fundamentally shoddy corrupt unprofessional FUBAR. And some good. The Town of Mansfield, with more enlightened leaders, and the UConn administration recognized that in 2002-2003 and set an RFP to develop the land, still owned by the University, at Dog Lane. Took about 8 years before they had a groundbreaking. Key components of the development team peeled away. The lead Master-developer was extremely stretched. But, with a huge dollop of State & Federal monies for infrastructure, we now have a "downtown" in a Rural setting.

Needless to say, this is hard to do organically. Sure there has always been a lot of traffic - both pedestrian and vehicular. Some restaurant/retailers took a big risk signing up. The fit of all this? It's became like casting a intricate Hollywood Rom-com. It's not Disney; but, it is an interesting mix of tenancy for a Product that isn't your standard Soap Brand. Then, the RESIDENTIAL has taken off and, if you don't know, are really healthy rentals.

KUDOS to the University, the Mansfield Downtown Partnership and the Town. And the development phasing continues. Global honors. Yes, I have some knowledge about this: it is unusual. You would be surprised about what the other 22 developments were like. Rural Mixed Use development of a CollegeTown isn't often done well.

I wasn't part of the project, for the record.

:cool:

Reaction Score
I'm no retail expert.

The success of that location - to my view - is a good sandwich shop & familiar healthy student friendly restaurants. Auriemma's place is surprising. I went with 3 Investment bankers & a few construction guys. The bill for 6 of us, with lots of great food (little alcohol) was $116. Pretty affordable. CVS & a Price Chopper are both good gets -IMO. The pure demographics probably don't support that as the general way these are viewed don't count students discretionary income well. (Money slipped into them from parents)

For an owner, the UConn Co-op & Outpatient clinic are good. I doubt you see clothing or other lifestyle stuff.

Going forward, I'd think the opportunity may be in the Commons space to draw traffic. I thought that was well done. Plus plenty of parking was prescient

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Husky Blues? It was a bar in the same area the tanked in the mid-late 90s. We honor tradition at UConn. Huskies and TEDS will lead the way forever. So mote it be.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I like the concept of Storrs Center but don't like what was built. It unfortunately looks like a Hollywood backlot with fake buildings. Would have been nice if it would have been more New England style that better fit in and looked like it had been there for years. The scale (mostly relating to height) of the buildings is definitely out of place in a rural setting.
Nothing about UConn's campus renovations has been built to look like it's traditional New England architecture. I can't imagine why they would start now. They're developing an excellent modern campus.

Reaction Score
My one complaint is who they're renting to. A walk in clinic and the puppetry museum don't increase foot traffic. They are in prime locations. I get it though that at least the walk in clinic probably pays good rent. As an aside I walked through a building where they were having a puppetry convention on campus... It's EXACTLY like you would expect.
A walk in clinic would have been a big draw in the 70's

Reaction Score
I like the concept of Storrs Center but don't like what was built. It unfortunately looks like a Hollywood backlot with fake buildings. Would have been nice if it would have been more New England style that better fit in and looked like it had been there for years. The scale (mostly relating to height) of the buildings is definitely out of place in a rural setting.

That's the thing ...

You are thinking that 1800 character is replaceable at today's cost ... with retailers that would instantly hop to be located there with some "New England" style. It took 8 years to get to a groundbreaking with lots of time for public commentary and battles. The infrastructure, which most would not appreciate, was a $30m+ ticket. Fake Hollywood lot? And you want "brick"? It's a balancing act.

The hardest thing about this mix is getting retailers/restaurants that will be successful - at decent rents. It is obvious that there is a "cream" of the top few percent that will/can pay high $ per sf apartment rent. Disaster, for this kind of product, is lots of turnover in the shops. Need that to be successful. Need realized action programming for the common areas. I think they got lucky getting a Grocery.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Anyone remember Husky Blues? It was a bar in the same area the tanked in the mid-late 90s. We honor tradition at UConn. Huskies and TEDS will lead the way forever. So mote it be.
Nah, Husky Blues was going strong until 2001 or 2002. They were a great place until they switched to being a night club more then a bar with live music in 2001. There was a shooting outside and that's what closed them for good. A buddy of mine was a bouncer there in 2000, the year before they switched bar genres. First and only bar I ever got into under aged. Good time too. They were located behind Store 24. Now THERE's an establishment that will forever hold a place near and dear to my heart!

Civic Pub was the best bar on campus IMO. Located across from Slutskies, I mean Huskies, and Teds. Not sure if it's even there anymore. I know it changed names when my brother in-law was there in the mid 2000's.

Reaction Score
Did you have to pull any STRINGS to get in? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nah, Husky Blues was going strong until 2001 or 2002. They were a great place until they switched to being a night club more then a bar with live music in 2001. There was a shooting outside and that's what closed them for good. A buddy of mine was a bouncer there in 2000, the year before they switched bar genres. First and only bar I ever got into under aged. Good time too. They were located behind Store 24. Now THERE's an establishment that will forever hold a place near and dear to my heart!

Civic Pub was the best bar on campus IMO. Located across from Slutskies, I mean Huskies, and Teds. Not sure if it's even there anymore. I know it changed names when my brother in-law was there in the mid 2000's.

Civic Pub in Hartford was like being on campus back in the late 80's early 90's. You see the same faces in the summer that you saw at Huskies and Ted's all year. Never went to the on-campus version.

Storrs needs a nice brew-pub with locally made beer and good food.

Reaction Score

Bring back the Anonymous Pub! A bar in the Student Union. How great was that!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bring back the Anonymous Pub! A bar in the Student Union. How great was that!!

I suppose pub night in the ROTC hanger is long dead...

Reaction Score
I graduated from school in 2006. I went back basically for the first time since 2008 in April of 2014.

I was absolutely floored by this. Campus was basically unrecognizable. I am insanely jealous of the students who are there today and am proud of the town and school for getting this done and doing it so well.

Reaction Score
Civic Pub in Hartford was like being on campus back in the late 80's early 90's. You see the same faces in the summer that you saw at Huskies and Ted's all year. Never went to the on-campus version.

Storrs needs a nice brew-pub with locally made beer and good food.

I NEVER missed a Thursday night at the Civic Pub in Hartford!! The best "trolling grounds" in the history of Hartford IMO. Followed by Coaches as a close second! Very rarely missed nickel night at Challenges either back in the day......

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I graduated from school in 2006. I went back basically for the first time since 2008 in April of 2014.

I was absolutely floored by this. Campus was basically unrecognizable. I am insanely jealous of the students who are there today and am proud of the town and school for getting this done and doing it so well.
I graduated in 2012 and can say I feel the same way seeing campus now. It's grown so much in just 3 years.

Reaction Score

Try graduating in 1997 and going back in 2011 for the Bball Nationl Champ ceremony..... Now THERES a time warp!!!!

Reaction Score
I always thought that a quality or high end sports bar would clean house up there! Especially with parents who are visiting or faculty during the week. Let the kids have it on the weekends!
I also have had a tough time with what is considered "shopping" in Storrs Center. I struggle to call fast food and a walk in clinic shopping. Wondering why there isn't a store like the Gap or Jcrew up there, seems like the perfect demo on campus. One of those Best Buy Expess stores would clean house up there IMO, there's nowhere to go to get electronics or gadgets.

Reaction Score
The only thing I don't get is why theres like 5 fro yo and ice cream places when the school makes the best ice cream in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom