OT: Tatum or Brown or Mitchell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tatum or Brown or Mitchell

Reaction Score
Mitchell and it's not that close. Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation, as much as I like his game. Tatum is a cog in an offense at the moment but should develop into one of the better scorers in the league.

Mitchell is the engine that drives Utah and led that team to a 5-seed in the West when no one thought they would make the playoffs. Opposing teams gameplans's focus on stopping Mitchell, that's not the case for either Celtics kid. Things change in the NBA when your opposition's primary goal on defense is stopping you. Mitchell just outplayed Russell Westbrook in a series for chrissakes. He also has "it", his feel for the game and anticipation is something special. New-age D-Wade isn't a bad comparison, except he's got the jumper Wade never had.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Mitchell and it's not that close. Brown shouldn't even be in the conversation, as much as I like his game.
Can't believe there are folks out there still underrating Jaylen Brown. Dude's going to be the next Kawhi.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
KD level? No. More of a Melo level which is fantastic
Don't ever compare Tatum to Carmelo Anthony.

"...there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense." - Coach Norman Dale - Hoosiers

Tatum know his way around the defensive end of the floor. Anthony couldn't find a consistent defensive technique with two hands and a flashlight.

Reaction Score
Tatum does not have KD offensive potential...
KD could end up being the best offensive player ever, so that should go without saying.

But he does have a little Durant in his offensive game, especially from the perimeter. Tatum’s about 3 inches shorter, but his length makes his shot extremely difficult to contest. When the Celtics have him coming off screens, I can see the comparison.

Reaction Score
Love Tatum game but I'll go Mitchell. Just think he'll have more opportunity to shine and be the man while Tatum will be on a more balanced squad where he may not get that same freedom.

Anyone saying KD potential for Tatum is nuts. KD is a once in a lifetime player. Tatum is not. KD has always been the best player on his respective team since coming into the league; Tatum hasn't/ isn't and won't be next year or even 2 years after this year

I laugh at a situation where whether or not you're the best player on your team in year 1-2 is a sufficient judge of how great a player you are. You may be right that KD comparisons are nuts, but that argument is simply hilarious. "Bro, Kevin Love is awful, he plays with Lebron James who is so much better than him. Dennis Schroeder is so much better than Kevin Love, who on the Hawks is better than him!?"

Reaction Score
This is super interesting.

I think I go Mitchell over Tatum mostly for this reason.

In seriousness, I was high on Mitchell before the draft and here's one reason why:
Louisville Sophomore Guard Donovan Mitchell impressed on day one of the Combine with his huge 6'10 wingspan measurement (+7 vs. height), and he continued to leave his mark on day two, posting the highest standing vertical leap at 36.5. That number matches the marks of Iman Shumpert and former NBA Dunk Contest Champion Glen Robinson III. Mitchell also posted the fastest three-quarter court sprint time at just 3.01 seconds, which is the quickest time since Sonny Weems ran a 2.96 at the 2008 Combine. His 40 ½ inch max vertical was the fourth best at the Combine - Source: DraftExpress - 2017 NBA Combine Athletic Testing Analysis ©DraftExpress

Another reason:
His improvement year after year has been insane. The dude is a worker. Plain and simple. Kemba-esque. To quote Mike Schmitz from Draft Express
A high-character athlete with culture-changing personality and work ethic.

He wasn't a 5* guy (although close). He played well at Louisville as a freshman, but his game was limited. As a sophomore, he added a serious 3-point shot. In his first year in the NBA, he extended it to NBA range with ease. In the same time-frame, he added play-making and pick and roll savvy. He's just going to keep adding things to his game.

He's got the work ethic and the athleticism. He's got everything you need. I think Tatum is a max guy and a Franchise guy and a multi-year All-Star. His shooting and height with his skill will always be relevant. I think Mitchell has first ballot Hall of Fame ceiling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll go Tatum, Mitchell, Brown. The KD comparisons are a bit over the top, but his ceiling is higher than Mitchell's because he can affect the game in more ways and is a superior outside shooter.

Best comparison for Tatum is a guy already on the Celtics roster -- Gordon Hawyard. Tatum can probably be a bit better in the long run as his athletic ceiling is higher.
This thread is getting a little whacky. You say Tatum will be better than Mitchell and then you compare Tatum to Gordon Hayward. Mitchell and Tatum are both already better than Hayward.

Reaction Score
I go with Tatum, his potential ceiling is so high.

My question is, who do the Celtics trade to get Anthony Davis next year?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
What an incredible last couple draft classes ... the talent funneling into the NBA is astounding. You could have replaced any of these names and still had a healthy debate. Simmons, Smith Jr., Russell, Booker. It's also amazing that Tatum is presently the youngest of all of them.

Reaction Score
Where is the idea that Mitchell is a great 3-point shooter coming from?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

Imagine when he improves that area of his game. He's averaging 26 a game in the playoffs on almost 50% shooting. That's all while hitting a paltry 32% from beyond the arc. He's also giving guys like Joe Ingles a seat at the postgame table.

Reaction Score
I like Jaylen Brown but don't think he belongs either in the rookie class or the comparison. Third choice should be Simmons (NOT A ROOKIE!) who might be a no-brainer to some, but obviously his lack of shooting and very recent performance necessitates at least a tap on the breaks.
I see Paul Pierce as likely outcome for Tatum, I don't think he'll be the best player in the NBA, but capable of hanging with anyone who is and most importantly winning. That said, I'd probably pick Mitchell b/c he's more exciting to watch and his upside is Wade-esque or even a poor man's you know who.
1. Mitchell
2. Tatum
3. Brown
400. Fultz

Reaction Score
Don't ever compare Tatum to Carmelo Anthony.

"...there's more to the game than shooting. There's fundamentals and defense." - Coach Norman Dale - Hoosiers

Tatum know his way around the defensive end of the floor. Anthony couldn't find a consistent defensive technique with two hands and a flashlight.
I was replying to a specific comment about Tatum having KD level SCORING potential. I think his Scoring potential is closer to melo’s than KD’s

Reaction Score
What an incredible last couple draft classes ... the talent funneling into the NBA is astounding. You could have replaced any of these names and still had a healthy debate. Simmons, Smith Jr., Russell, Booker. It's also amazing that Tatum is presently the youngest of all of them.

Russell and DSJr don't belong in the convo IMO.

Reaction Score

Mitchell hit 34%, but on a gigantic 550 attempts. If not great, then adequate and prolific. More than double Tatum's attempts and 100 more than any other rookie. A higher proportion were also more difficult off the dribble attempts and self-created.

You're right in that he's not an assassin (yet), but he'll get to 36% on high volume soon. He was over 80% from the line.

Reaction Score
Mitchell, think he has the most upside and actually wants it the most.

I wouldn’t trade Tatum or Brown if I were the Celtics though, even if Kawhi was in the picture.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Based on what?
Just look at him!

But really, I'm not crazy about these discussions because by choosing one, it comes off as criticism of the other guys. Having said that Mitchell is really good. His sense of control reminds me of pre-injury Brandon Roy.

Reaction Score
Remember JSM before he got banned how much he hated Brown? I guess I would pick Mitchell but all 3 are going to be good.

Reaction Score
I love Mitchell, but Tatum has a solid 5 inches on him. Plus, he’s only really been looking for his own offense the past couple months, and his numbers during that stretch have been off the charts for a 20-year-old.

I think those two will be a level ahead of Jaylen, but he has the potential to be one of the best two-way players in the league.
And yet Mitchell's wingspan is only like an inch less than Tatum's. Height is somewhat interesting to look at before the draft but once you've already seen their games translate and know what they look like against the best in the NBA, it's pretty meaningless. Mitchell is a lot shorter but he's certainly the bigger freak.

Reaction Score
Remember JSM before he got banned how much he hated Brown? I guess I would pick Mitchell but all 3 are going to be good.
He was relentless in saying Jaylen Brown stunk and would be a total bust.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom