OT Sweet flavored meat? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT Sweet flavored meat?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Right. And I’m sure you know the best gas station that makes fried chicken. Because that’s where you always get the best cuisine. In the back of a Mobil station.
IYKYK

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Definetly no Honey baked ham for me, well certainly not gonna go out of the way for it or pay for it. I’ll eat it maybe twice a year when I go over my relatives for Christmas or Easter. I’m one of the few who will eat it without maple syrup.
Agree ham shouldn't be sweet. The honey or maple syrup ruin it for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What about ribs? Most of the most popular flavor profiles are sweet. KC style sauce is sweet. Even the dry rubs ( or wraps) are loaded with brown sugar and or honey.

Give me the eastern North Carolina vinegar and red pepper BBQ sauce. A little moonshine never hurt either.

Reaction Score
My mango peach salsa, tonight it will go over chicken breast's. Other times it goes great with fish or pork or by itself right out of the bowl. A little sweet, a little spicy, but delicious!
1000003958.jpg

Reaction Score
Right. And I’m sure you know the best gas station that makes fried chicken. Because that’s where you always get the best cuisine. In the back of a Mobil station.
There are some gas stations with fire delis. I used to stop by the Brookfield Mobil deli on my way up to or back from the Elephants Trunk and their kitchen pre-covid was really good. It sucks now but for years it was the best deli in the surrounding area.

Reaction Score
Maple bourbon bacon
Sweet and sour chicken
Orange chicken
Teriyaki chicken
BBQ chicken pizza
BBQ anything
Honey ham
Pork and beans
Filipino spaghetti
Ketchup on burgers
Relish on Hotdogs
Sweet onions on a roasts, steaks etc

To name a few.....

There's sweet on meat all the time.

Reaction Score
My mango peach salsa, tonight it will go over chicken breast's. Other times it goes great with fish or pork or by itself right out of the bowl. A little sweet, a little spicy, but delicious!
View attachment 101254
Now I’m down with that, a bit different then maple syrup with meat or honey glazed meat.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand what the big fascination with it is.

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.
Amen

Reaction Score
Had tacos al Pastor this weekend that were amazing. Adobo pork with pineapple. Yum

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The right pork and apple combination is awesome.

Off the top of my head, pork tenderloin and apple crisp, is perfect. Tenderloin and applesauce is just plain lazy. Still pretty good though.
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I just don’t understand what the big fascination with it is.

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.
I invite maple syrup to touch my bacon while eating French Toast. Not a big deal if the eggs join in a bit. But, to smear my eggs with syrup is not a favorite of mine.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Courtesy of prankster from a few years ago:

Reaction Score
I invite maple syrup to touch my bacon while eating French Toast. Not a big deal if the eggs join in a bit. But, to smear my eggs with syrup is not a favorite of mine.

A little maple syrup on bacon or a good breakfast sausage (which only comes in link form) is fantastic.

Sweet can go with meat if in the form of a sauce, salsa, or chutney served with the meat. A well-salted duck breast or leg with a mango or apricot-based salsa/chutney is proof that god wants us to be happy (cue the Geico "I'll have the roast duck, with the mango salsa" ad). The savory and sweet flavors have to play off of each other.

What I don't get is sweet tomato sauces. Nothing more stomach turning than someone serving pasta or meatballs and the sauce tastes more like syrup. Putting a few pinches of sugar in to cut the acidity of the tomato doesn't mean pouring a cup of sugar in . . .

Reaction Score
Completely agree with OP. With exception of spicy tangy barbecues, sugar shouldn’t be anywhere near meat. Salt or spices for me.

Spicy tangy barbecues isn't an exception, it's an entire category of sweet meats!

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Whoever trashed apple chicken sausage needs to try apple chicken sausage.

As far as I'm concerned, they need to tweak the apple part of apple chicken sausage. A little more of the right apple would nail it.

Reaction Score
I definitely feel that way about the obsession with wings, but damn, a properly deep fried thigh or leg is delicious. I don't own a deep fryer (I do "oven-fried" at home), nor do I eat chain chicken, but I had some fried chicken at a couple places in Atlanta that I still think about. Might be the only time I've ever chosen fried chicken as an entree at a sit-down restaurant.

My wife loves ham. It creates problems. I can deal with ham, but don't care for it when it's the only protein on my plate. Grew up hating the stuff as mom would bake it with the packaged glaze or dump a can of pineapple on it. Still makes me puke in my mouth a little.

To Rock's comment - best pizza I had in Bulgaria had ham & corn for toppings. But it was a great pizza because of the crust more than anything. Pizza is pretty good over there.
Pizzeria Bathory in Slovakia had goid pizza and quite the variety.
https://kopanice.Steven Krajewski/gastronomia/pizzeria-bathory/

Reaction Score
I'm not a huge salmon fan, but my old boss's Colombian wife did a fairly simple sauteed fillet paired with a mango/strawberry/avacado/jalapeno/red onion/cilantro salsa that has made it into my repertoire.
The strawberry is throwing me off but I don’t doubt it’s good

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A little maple syrup on bacon or a good breakfast sausage (which only comes in link form) is fantastic.

Sweet can go with meat if in the form of a sauce, salsa, or chutney served with the meat. A well-salted duck breast or leg with a mango or apricot-based salsa/chutney is proof that god wants us to be happy (cue the Geico "I'll have the roast duck, with the mango salsa" ad). The savory and sweet flavors have to play off of each other.

What I don't get is sweet tomato sauces. Nothing more stomach turning than someone serving pasta or meatballs and the sauce tastes more like syrup. Putting a few pinches of sugar in to cut the acidity of the tomato doesn't mean pouring a cup of sugar in . . .

Agree with the first sentence.

I feel like sweet sauces and meat is a pretty common thing - had roast duck with a sweet and sour sauce out this weekend.

But since I can’t leave a food thread without infuriating someone….tomato sauce is ass. All of it. Sweet, not sweet. It’s garbage.

We should have let the Germans keep Italy for a few years until they got rid of the tomato sauces.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom