OT Sweet flavored meat? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Sweet flavored meat?

Reaction Score
No honey baked ham for OP I guess. I will say that I don’t like syrup touching my eggs either but that has more to do with the specific texture/taste of eggs that the texture/taste of syrup doesn’t compliment. But otherwise I’m good for most sweet/savory combos

Let’s start naming good savory/sweet combinations besides chicken and waffles

I’ve come around to pineapple on pizza when done appropriately and with the right accompanying toppings. Corn as well

Some form of a tomato/bacon/onion/etc jam on burgers when combined with other topping appropriately

Jams, dried fruit and charcuterie

Cornbread bacon waffles

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Smoked salmon coated with maple syrup is awesome. The important part is allowing the peticle to form to hold the smoke. Sweet and mildly salty.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Completely agree with OP. With exception of spicy tangy barbecues, sugar shouldn’t be anywhere near meat. Salt or spices for me.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
It wouldn't be a proper 2 am visit to Wo Hop without some Char Siu or BBQ Ribs!

Reaction Score
No honey baked ham for OP I guess. I will say that I don’t like syrup touching my eggs either but that has more to do with the specific texture/taste of eggs that the texture/taste of syrup doesn’t compliment. But otherwise I’m good for most sweet/savory combos

I’ve come around to pineapple on pizza when done appropriately and with the right accompanying toppings. Corn as well

Some form of a tomato/bacon/onion/etc jam on burgers when combined with other topping appropriately

Jams, dried fruit and charcuterie

Cornbread bacon waffles
Definetly no Honey baked ham for me, well certainly not gonna go out of the way for it or pay for it. I’ll eat it maybe twice a year when I go over my relatives for Christmas or Easter. I’m one of the few who will eat it without maple syrup.

Reaction Score
This is a 10/10 off-season thread.

FWIW chicken and waffles isn't a southern thing despite people associating it with there. It's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing that migrated to NY IIRC. The good s--- is in Harlem.

I think you just don't have a sweet tooth. My wife doesn't like sweets, and won't eat pancakes or waffles with maple syrup at all. Whereas I'm drowning that in syrup. I could also go all in on a glazed meat of any kind, or a nice sweet BBQ sauce.

My favorite sweet&salty combo comes from nonna...chunks of parm-reggiano with honey. chef's kiss
I definetly do need to have maple syrup with pancakes but just can’t have it on the same plate with eggs. As far as meat goes sweet meat just doesn’t do it for me, I definitely like my meat spicey though.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand what the big fascination with it is.

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand what the big fascination with it is.

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.
High maintenance

Reaction Score
I don't understand the appeal of chicken and waffles either, but not for the OP's reason. I just don't get the appeal of waffles. I've had chicken and waffles and thought the chicken would've been much better with some other starch, like grits or mash. But for breakfast, syrup can get all over my bacon or sausage and eggs along with the french toast (brioche!) and I'll lap it all up.

I'm generally not big on sweet with protein. I'm fine with BBQ, but I don't seek out BBQ the way most here do. I do like bulgogi, and while I generally can't stand fruit mixed in my entrees, I enjoy Moroccan food with apricots and dates mixed in, and prunes in a Polish bigos stew.

What I really detest is honey mustard. I love pretty much all kinds of mustard, but find honey mustard an abomination.
Yes Honey mustard too, also ketchup, and apple flavored sausages.

Reaction Score
Just a thought, might not have been the chicken and waffles that was responsible for your pain the next morning.
It certainly didn’t help, from what I can recall that night if I can remember me and my friends were looking for pizza in New Orleans around 1 am there weren’t any open places we go to a gas station and we decide to get the chicken and waffles. Mind you I had just a little too much to drink that night.

Never had a craving for chicken and waffles just too filling, I’ll have chicken then waffles though just not together.

Reaction Score
It certainly didn’t help, from what I can recall that night if I can remember me and my friends were looking for pizza in New Orleans around 1 am there weren’t any open places we go to a gas station and we decide to get the chicken and waffles. Mind you I had just a little too much to drink that night.

Never had a craving for chicken and waffles just too filling, I’ll have chicken then waffles though just not together.
I can’t imagine Pizza from Louisiana would have fared any better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Chicken and waffles, and fried chicken in general, are overrated beyond overrated. And don't tell me I haven't had it at the right place. I have.

Now, let's talk about a Coca Cola and Brown Sugar glaze on a ham? Yes please.
I definitely feel that way about the obsession with wings, but damn, a properly deep fried thigh or leg is delicious. I don't own a deep fryer (I do "oven-fried" at home), nor do I eat chain chicken, but I had some fried chicken at a couple places in Atlanta that I still think about. Might be the only time I've ever chosen fried chicken as an entree at a sit-down restaurant.

My wife loves ham. It creates problems. I can deal with ham, but don't care for it when it's the only protein on my plate. Grew up hating the stuff as mom would bake it with the packaged glaze or dump a can of pineapple on it. Still makes me puke in my mouth a little.

To Rock's comment - best pizza I had in Bulgaria had ham & corn for toppings. But it was a great pizza because of the crust more than anything. Pizza is pretty good over there.

Reaction Score
This is a 10/10 off-season thread.

I think you just don't have a sweet tooth. My wife doesn't like sweets, and won't eat pancakes or waffles with maple syrup at all. Whereas I'm drowning that in syrup.
This.

In general, I don’t like sweets with my dinner. That being said, there are plenty of cuisines around the world that use sugar as an ingredient to savory foods, and it works when the recipe works. Like, picture a really well-balanced jerk chicken. I don’t like sweets, I don’t even like chicken, but a super good jerk that’s a well-balanced is one of the best flavor profiles out there. However, bad jerk chicken is trash.

It’s how you use the sugar.

Nothing wrong with having a lot of shooters or a team of athletic guys…but do they create championship level basketball? That’s the question.

Sounds like what @Scoe is talking about is just bad basketball. Who cares if the honey glazed chicken has a great press if they can’t play halfcourt D? Who cares if chicken and waffles is stuffed with athleticism when it’s got no BBIQ?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not a huge salmon fan, but my old boss's Colombian wife did a fairly simple sauteed fillet paired with a mango/strawberry/avacado/jalapeno/red onion/cilantro salsa that has made it into my repertoire.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
What about ribs? Most of the most popular flavor profiles are sweet. KC style sauce is sweet. Even the dry rubs ( or wraps) are loaded with brown sugar and or honey.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I definitely feel that way about the obsession with wings, but damn, a properly deep fried thigh or leg is delicious. I don't own a deep fryer (I do "oven-fried" at home), nor do I eat chain chicken, but I had some fried chicken at a couple places in Atlanta that I still think about. Might be the only time I've ever chosen fried chicken as an entree at a sit-down restaurant.

My wife loves ham. It creates problems. I can deal with ham, but don't care for it when it's the only protein on my plate. Grew up hating the stuff as mom would bake it with the packaged glaze or dump a can of pineapple on it. Still makes me puke in my mouth a little.

To Rock's comment - best pizza I had in Bulgaria had ham & corn for toppings. But it was a great pizza because of the crust more than anything. Pizza is pretty good over there.
I own a pressure fryer. But I’m sure you would’ve guessed that :)

Reaction Score
The attractiveness of the sweetness of NC and KC BBQ sauces completely escapes me. IMO TX BBQ sauces rule!

Last edited:

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
The attractiveness of the sweetness of NC and KC BBQ sauces completely escapes me. IMO TX BBQ sauces rule!
Whelp. Texas is beef. No sweet. KC and Carolina is pork , lends itself to sweet. That’s the answer.

But if you want to go deeper, I prefer to lay off the sugars in my pork stuff. Doesn’t need so much if done right. But it does need a little. Beef needs NONE.

Reaction Score
Glazed ham over fried chicken? I’ve never rolled my eyes at your opinions more.

Right. And I’m sure you know the best gas station that makes fried chicken. Because that’s where you always get the best cuisine. In the back of a Mobil station.

Reaction Score
Grilled, boneless, skin on, chicken thighs with a brown sugar based rub....

Reaction Score
Tangentially related to this thread, and I never buy it due to the shame and my family's preferences, but Fake Lite version Maple Syrup is so good. The Lite is much better than the regular.

I think it's just high fructose corn syrup with caramel flavoring. The best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom