OT: storms | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: storms

Reaction Score
My wife has Facebook friends that drove home in.it yesterday
Apparently it was a tornado or multiple ones that hit parts of Seymour ,Oxford ,Southbury , Brookfield
When I saw the Pictures of telephone poles and trees ripped off at between 7/20 ft it was reminiscent of the 1989 one that ripped through the same area.
Although I was missed ,as it was north of me ,the green sky and the constant rumbling like a huge freight train that was endless was scary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In Hamden we got smacked around a bit. Craziest storm I’ve ever seen

Reaction Score
My wife has Facebook friends that drove home in.it yesterday
Apparently it was a tornado or multiple ones that hit parts of Seymour ,Oxford ,Southbury , Brookfield
When I saw the Pictures of telephone poles and trees ripped off at between 7/20 ft it was reminiscent of the 1990’s one that ripped through the same area.
Although I was missed ,as it was north of me ,the green sky and the constant rumbling like a huge freight train that was endless was scary.
Yeah it was definitely a tornado. Trees are completely uprooted. I drive through Brookfield to go to work and most of the roads were closed last night and this morning.

Reaction Score
Yeah it was definitely a tornado. Trees are completely uprooted. I drive through Brookfield to go to work and most of the roads were closed last night and this morning.
Uprooting is normal in any high wind storm , what isn’t normal is trees being sheared like a incredible power twisted them above ground level . Usually trees under a ft in dia
I was at a little league game in Watertown after the 1989 one and an entire stand of trees behind center field had their tops shorn off like a giant with shears decided to prune them. Just taking the tops off leaving the tree standing . That indicates a tornado. Imagine the power that requires.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uprooting is normal in any high wind storm , what isn’t normal is trees being sheared like a incredible power twisted them above ground level . Usually tree under a ft in dia
I was at a little league game in Watertown after the 1989 one and an entire stand of trees behind center field had their tops shorn off like a giant with shears decided to prune them. Just taking the tops off leaving the tree standing . That indicates a tornado. Imagine the power that requires.
Yeah 84/super 7 in Brookfield/new milford has the entire tops cut off for long stretches. One of the trees by me was uprooted and moved about 5 feet from where it should be

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Yeah 84/super 7 in Brookfield/new milford has the entire tops cut off for long stretches. One of the trees by me was uprooted and moved about 5 feet from where it should be

Yep... I live and Brookfield and it was a minor miracle I was able to get out of my road and onto the highway (after driving under multiple trees leaning on power lines). Trees uprooted, snapped, and sheared off at the trunk all over.

Tornado started in New Fairfield, went over Candlewood lake, through Brookfield > Newtown. Apparently another touched down in Southbury > Oxford > Bethany > Hamden. Those towns got hit the worst.

I grew up here in Fairfield county and I've never seen a storm cause half as much damage as this.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Was the storm even supposed to be worst in that area? I'd originally thought the worst was supposed to be north of Hartford?

Reaction Score
Was the storm even supposed to be worst in that area? I'd originally thought the worst was supposed to be north of Hartford?
Originally we were just supposed to get thunderstorms. I heard "tornado warning" around 4:00 and laughed it off because of course we don't get tornados around here. I'm just glad it hit before I left work because there were a couple dozen trees down on my drive home. 11 miles took me 2 hours.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I was fishing all day. Got home, backed the boat into the yard, went in the house, and 5 minutes later I wondered why it was dark. Looked up at the sky and it had that odd yellow gray color that precedes bad stuff comin at you. Ran out and put the cover on the boat just as the first twigs and raindrops started to fall. Started pouring a couple minutes before I finished. The next 20 minutes was nasty. Kind of glad the fish stopped biting when they did, or I might have stayed another half-hour. Bunch of trees down on my street, and driving up 111 this morning, it's like Hammertown road is the dividing line between lots of tree damage and "Storm? What storm?"
We didn't fare nearly as badly as my daughter across the river in Oxford. Tornado came through their back yard and right through the neighborhood. Took out a few trees in their yard, three of them landed on my grandson's Mustang. Took all the siding off one of the neighbors houses, and threw his AC unit into the next neighbor's yard. Their road remains impassable and they have no word on power restoration, but they are on generator. (coincidently, the gas station around the corner from me has lines at both sides of all 6 pumps, made up mostly of people filling tanks for their generators).

Reaction Score
Everyone ok? Disaster here in brookfield. Some talk of tornado. 5 trees down including one leaning on my roof. No power.

Doesn’t change the chaos/damages that occurred.

Reaction Score
I checked the radar to see what we were getting in NY and saw the purple cell heading into CT. I was going to post something here but I figured you guys knew it was coming.

Reaction Score

Doesn’t change the chaos/damages that occurred.

And they are probably wrong. I don't think a macroburst can cause what I have been seeing in pictures. There were tornados buried in there.

Reaction Score
And they are probably wrong. I don't think a macroburst can cause what I have been seeing in pictures. There were tornados buried in there.

There were 100-110 mph winds associated w/ that macroburst over a 2 1/2 mile swath...

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
I drove, or tried to, from whitney ave in hamden, up gaylord mountain into bethany this afternoon and it was straight up devastation. Telephone poles were splintered in half. Trees and powerlines down everywhere. I had to weave through a ton of backroads and around downed trees to pop back out into civilization. It was a lot like that halloween storm. Maybe worse.

Reaction Score
Tornado #2 (Beacon Falls/Bethany/Hamden):

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No tornados here in Pittsburgh. Just enough rain coming down fast enough where my driveway drain couldn't handle it and it backed up 2-1/2 feet up my garage doors.

Luckily caught in time to keep basement hallway to only an inch. Bailed at least 50 gals. Don't want to know how deep it is inside garage... will find out in morning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at a little league game in Watertown after the 1989 one and an entire stand of trees behind center field had their tops shorn off like a giant with shears decided to prune them.
Yes, I lived in Watertown at that time, July of 89. I was 11 yrs old and played at Mosgrove little league field you are referring to. That was a crazy storm, still remember vividly. Lots of damage, we had 6 trees down on our property. No power for 2 weeks.

Reaction Score
Yes, I lived in Watertown at that time, July of 89. I was 11 yrs old and played at Mosgrove little league field you are referring to. That was a crazy storm, still remember vividly. Lots of damage, we had 6 trees down on our property. No power for 2 weeks.
Bantam after 1989 tornado.
All along Rt. 202 where it meets Rt. 209 was shredded. Buildings flattened. Debris from buildings strewn everywhere. I remember a sign that said "Don't just stare. Help." Just north of that, my father and I drove past a forested area where a swath of trees a couple of hundred yards wide were just sheared off.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom