OT: Stock trading | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm a little surprised that they're going in lockstep -- would have thought Boeing would lag a bit. Just because people are flying doesn't mean airlines are buying new planes.

Of course, none of what's happening in this market reflects current reality.

Well, there is a relationship that the more people fly, the more planes are used and start to wear out. You are probably well aware they make their new purchases years in advance based on scheduled draw down of a plane's hours and airframe wear and tear. Plus, many of these planes are actually bought by large holding companies, leased to the main airlines for a bit and then rebranded for smaller airlines.
Bottom line, the more people flying, the greater the demand for replacement aircraft.

Reaction Score
I sold 2000 shares of HTZ for 6.15, I paid 92 cents for them. I typically never hold anything for very long, this was a rare occasion.

If i see another pullback tomorrow, I will reload.

There's something bizarre going on with bankrupt stocks. It seems like over half of them have gone bananas in the last 3 days. HTZ is the prime example, but also JCP, WLL, DNR, Pier 1. All of them up 2-3x since Thursday.

Reaction Score
There's something bizarre going on with bankrupt stocks. It seems like over half of them have gone bananas in the last 3 days. HTZ is the prime example, but also JCP, WLL, DNR, Pier 1. All of them up 2-3x since Thursday.

I also turned and burned WLL for a nice profit. ;)

Reaction Score

yea its wild out there right now....multiple penny stocks running 200-400% daily as well

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

The entire market has his euphoria rather than sanity.

Reaction Score
I didn’t like the market action at the end of the day. Thanks to being in NKLA at $35 and adding to Tesla, Amzn and MSFT positions recently I’m having a great run. But I remember the dot com roller coaster in 2000-01 and this is starting to feel similar. Hoping for one more positive day before taking some profits but I’m a little nervous. Good luck guys.

the Q

Reaction Score
I didn’t like the market action at the end of the day. Thanks to being in NKLA at $35 and adding to Tesla, Amzn and MSFT positions recently I’m having a great run. But I remember the dot com roller coaster in 2000-01 and this is starting to feel similar. Hoping for one more positive day before taking some profits but I’m a little nervous. Good luck guys.

I think the same. Based on research I’ve been reading based on indicators.

mom getting some cash for the next dip

Reaction Score
If you can walk and chew gum at the same time right now, you can make money on calls or these pump and dump pennies. That’ll all change in a blink of an eye and leave a lot of these new investors in the hole. So take profits and don’t risk too much of your portfolio, but enjoy this idiotic run while it lasts. The VIX is climbing so who knows, tide could turn soon.

the Q

Reaction Score
If you can walk and chew gum at the same time right now, you can make money on calls or these pump and dump pennies. That’ll all change in a blink of an eye and leave a lot of these new investors in the hole. So take profits and don’t risk too much of your portfolio, but enjoy this idiotic run while it lasts. The VIX is climbing so who knows, tide could turn soon.

I’m good with a dip because I’m buying long term. Let it be low for my June pay dates. Buy more shares on the DRIP.

I’m not sure I could do any type of trading or options besides selling puts. That seems to have the least risk of those types of things. But I’m still figuring those out.

Reaction Score
I’m good with a dip because I’m buying long term. Let it be low for my June pay dates. Buy more shares on the DRIP.

I’m not sure I could do any type of trading or options besides selling puts. That seems to have the least risk of those types of things. But I’m still figuring those out.
I’ve been heavier into options than ever but mostly because I want to stay liquid for when the next big dip comes. Like you I believe it’s coming, but it wouldn’t shock me if the fed props the market up until the election is over. It’s definitely risky as hell so I wouldn’t recommend it to most. However, right now the market is following technicals pretty closely (which is why it feels like the news is meaningless), and it has made predicting big jumps easier.

I don’t personally like to sell puts or calls because if you do and things go south, you can get absolutely killed, and everything is so volatile right now that you can never say never. Some people make a ton of money doing this though, and you’re a smart guy so I’m sure whatever work you put into learning/studying this stuff will pay off.

the Q

Reaction Score
I’ve been heavier into options than ever but mostly because I want to stay liquid for when the next big dip comes. Like you I believe it’s coming, but it wouldn’t shock me if the fed props the market up until the election is over. It’s definitely risky as hell so I wouldn’t recommend it to most. However, right now the market is following technicals pretty closely (which is why it feels like the news is meaningless), and it has made predicting big jumps easier.

I don’t personally like to sell puts or calls because if you do and things go south, you can get absolutely killed, and everything is so volatile right now that you can never say never. Some people make a ton of money doing this though, and you’re a smart guy so I’m sure whatever work you put into learning/studying this stuff will pay off.

I mean I’d probably only be doing it with blue chips I’d be ok owning forever.

Reaction Score
I mean I’d probably only be doing it with blue chips I’d be ok owning forever.
So last week I took profits on most of my cloud stocks. Docu was huge for me, and I got in 5 others a little late. Trimmed them to smaller stakes and bought “less risky” stocks like Tesla, Amazon, Msft and Facebook. NKLA should be an adventure in the near future but I feel good about the 15 or so names I have, might just sell half the volume if things run a bit more. It’s always good to have plenty of powder for the next correction.

Reaction Score
I cannot tell you how many times I have bought and sold HTZ over the past 4 trading days, both longs, shorts, swings, scalps, LOL, Best 4 days I have ever had.

Reaction Score
Sold UAL and DAL after coming back a bit from lows this morning, at gains of about 40% over 2 months. Would have been close to 70% had I sold on Monday, but I'm satisfied banking the wins here. I don't see much more upside in the big airlines right now. Holding LUV as a hedge, and since it seems better positioned long term.

Reaction Score
what a sh#tshow they have been the last few days, I've only been in since last tues or wed but saw most of the profits except for save go on the whoosh this a.m. Nice bounce so far. Owning these dregs is like total gambling at this point. But I'm hooked. Stop just below low of the day.

Reaction Score
It's not "like" total gambling, it is total gambling...…….

And so many people don't understand that there is no requirement for the market to in any way reflect reality.

When I tell people I bought airlines or was considering getting into cruise lines, they all said "but who's traveling now?" And that is absolutely the wrong question. It's mostly speculation and hope (or fear).

Airlines were badly oversold in March and may be overbought now. They will probably come back in the long term, but there could be better opportunities elsewhere or even in the same stocks over the next few months.

Reaction Score
And so many people don't understand that there is no requirement for the market to in any way reflect reality.

When I tell people I bought airlines or was considering getting into cruise lines, they all said "but who's traveling now?" And that is absolutely the wrong question. It's mostly speculation and hope (or fear).

Airlines were badly oversold in March and may be overbought now. They will probably come back in the long term, but there could be better opportunities elsewhere or even in the same stocks over the next few months.

My point has nothing to do whatsoever with where someone invests. I don't follow the airlines, but I suspect there is a long-term play in them that could work. I do wonder if they can stay out of the bankruptcy courts and keep the current equity from being wiped out, but maybe there is the liquidity to prudently take that risk. I really don't know....

Anyway, my point is that trying to time these trades is truly gambling. You cannot consistently read the market ahead of everyone else and the moment you truly believe that you can you had better think really hard about it. Have some fun with it? Sure. But, don't kid yourself, you're not investing.

Reaction Score
But, don't kid yourself, you're not investing.

Oh, not at all. This is my speculation money, maybe 1-2% of my portfolio.

My actual investing I'm putting into funds (mutual, index, bond).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom