OT: Stock trading | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
You will go NUTS trying to time the market. My approach is buy, buy, buy, and hold, hold, hold...for years. It accumulates and gives you the chance to take bigger opportunities down the road. Through this approach, I was able to go back to school and earn a degree (investing in myself), and my wife and I used Apple to make an offer on a condo. We put a chunk of our wedding money into Apple in 2013, at around $90, and sold out in November 2019. Both of these are the "bigger opportunities."

This is what it's all about for me, too. Right now my investments are to pay for a wedding and condo. I invest mainly in low to moderate risk, moderate to high growth companies (majority holdings in AMZN, GOOG, DIS) because of my short time frame. I'll likely sell everything I own right now in under 3 years. After that, I'll invest super long-term. TSLA and BA will be my main holdings within 5 years.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This is what it's all about for me, too. Right now my investments are to pay for a wedding and condo. I invest mainly in low to moderate risk, moderate to high growth companies (majority holdings in AMZN, GOOG, DIS) because of my short time frame. I'll likely sell everything I own right now in under 3 years. After that, I'll invest super long-term. TSLA and BA will be my main holdings within 5 years.
A GREAT plan. Just keep at it. Those pay dividends too, which will offset any minor dips in the price. We took similar plans. I bought and held for years, then I sold it all to take bigger opportunities. Basically started from scratch again, but I’m back at it. You would be upset if you just kept it as cash, and looked back realizing you could have doubled, tripled, quadrupled up.
I have a buddy who beat this into me. His older brother beat it into him. My friend graduated college in 2005 and moved back home immediately. He got a job in insurance somewhere downtown Hartford. His parents didn’t charge him rent and he literally put like 75% of his income into the market between 2005 and 2012, buying Amazon, Google, Tesla, and a few others. He basically retired at 30. Quit his job and moved to Florida. He plays poker and golf all day everyday. The bigger opportunity. He’s still buying too. Hasn’t gone back to work either. All through putting money in the market like a squirrel hides nuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nice little bounce this morning. I'm going to sell off a portion at open as I don't think we're out of the woods yet.

I'm not selling anything. I still think we have another drop below 22K and then it's going on a run to 30k. But that mostly affects my 401K stuff. Still looking for some individual stocks that catch my attention. Always been a fan of mid-cap and large cap stocks whose prices are in distress.
Also prefer investing in companies/industries I have some familiarity. I'm fully convinced unless you are a professional with access to advanced algorithms, trying to pick and choose stocks based off what we read publicly, is a crap shoot.

Reaction Score
I'm not selling anything. I still think we have another drop below 22K and then it's going on a run to 30k. But that mostly affects my 401K stuff. Still looking for some individual stocks that catch my attention. Always been a fan of mid-cap and large cap stocks whose prices are in distress.
Also prefer investing in companies/industries I have some familiarity. I'm fully convinced unless you are a professional with access to advanced algorithms, trying to pick and choose stocks based off what we read publicly, is a crap shoot.
I'm selling a portion of what I picked up EOD yesterday for about a 15% profit. If the down trend continues, I'll re-enter with that dry powder. If we go back up, I still have 3/4's of my portfolio for the longer term.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There's something bizarre going on with bankrupt stocks. It seems like over half of them have gone bananas in the last 3 days. HTZ is the prime example, but also JCP, WLL, DNR, Pier 1. All of them up 2-3x since Thursday.
The Federal Reserve

Reaction Score
Perfect swing trading weather.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand why UAL is up 16% today. It's still down from where I sold it, but man, there is a lot of money to be made if you get lucky.

Reaction Score
I'm not even going to pretend to understand why UAL is up 16% today. It's still down from where I sold it, but man, there is a lot of money to be made if you get lucky.

I'm guessing it's because air travel has been reported by the TSA to be up 400% since the lows of March. People are starting to travel again. I think travel demand will be back much quicker than people expect because everyone will be so sick of sitting inside.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I bought 75 shares yesterday for $33 and cut them lose for $39 today. AAL I bought around $14 and sold around $17. The airlines are super emotional right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I bought 75 shares yesterday for $33 and cut them lose for $39 today. AAL I bought around $14 and sold around $17. The airlines are super emotional right now.
I made the mistake of buying into DAL late and now I'm just waiting for a good day to sell. The other airlines I was in early enough that I was able to sell off some when everything crashed early this week

Reaction Score

At this point they could go up 20% or down 20% on Monday and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I was sure there was further downside after yesterday, oops. Still relieved to have taken my profits on Wednesday and be able to watch that rollercoaster instead of riding it. Anyone who claims to know which way it's going to go next is spitballing.

I'm still eyeing some other distressed industries. I don't see oil staying down in the long term. Would have been great to get in on HAL at $5.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
At this point they could go up 20% or down 20% on Monday and I wouldn't bat an eye.

I was sure there was further downside after yesterday, oops. Still relieved to have taken my profits on Wednesday and be able to watch that rollercoaster instead of riding it. Anyone who claims to know which way it's going to go next is spitballing.

I'm still eyeing some other distressed industries. I don't see oil staying down in the long term. Would have been great to get in on HAL at $5.

ET at 5 would’ve been a good get too. But then you gotta deal with K1s

Reaction Score
I made the mistake of buying into DAL late and now I'm just waiting for a good day to sell. The other airlines I was in early enough that I was able to sell off some when everything crashed early this week
Airlines are so tricky. I was in DAL at 19 in March and took a quick profit. That got in UAL at 24, added more at 32 and rode it up to 38. Went up and down for weeks. Then Buffet disclosed selling a huge stand and they tanked again. Wish I had gotten back in UAL yesterday at 33 but none of us truly knew whether today would rebound or continue yesterday’s slide. Tough market with all the possible announcements that could come out any day. I would not want to be short though the day a true vaccine is announced.

Reaction Score
Airlines are so tricky. I was in DAL at 19 in March and took a quick profit. That got in UAL at 24, added more at 32 and rode it up to 38. Went up and down for weeks. Then Buffet disclosed selling a huge stand and they tanked again. Wish I had gotten back in UAL yesterday at 33 but none of us truly knew whether today would rebound or continue yesterday’s slide. Tough market with all the possible announcements that could come out any day. I would not want to be short though the day a true vaccine is announced.
What I'm doing is buying and selling in portions of 25 shares. That way if it goes up, you sell some, if it goes down, you buy more. I also have a variety, so if one particular sector is outperforming another I focus on that one at the time. It works during high volatility. Yesterday was good for me, my portfolio went up 9% and is now higher than it was before the dump started Wednesday. I made sure I ended the day 1/2 cash. Ready for whichever way it goes Monday.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom