OT: Stock trading | Page 71 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My 14 year old daughter would move in tomorrow.

I have had to spend a lot of time at the Domain the last few years. Is it sterile by the standards of gritty old northeastern cities? Yes. Is it entirely safe, clean and pleasant with loads of amenities outside your door and ample parking? Yes, yes it is. So if you're one of those young tech workers out of college in Austin, it's a pretty nice compromise.

Harder to pull this off up north, but Charlotte has a similar property. I do think they could heat sidewalks, and put plastic and space heaters up for the outside dining and make it work.

Not sure when I'll be back. I had just discovered a new spot at the beginning of Covid, a pretty cool pub inside Whole Foods.

Reaction Score
Surprised you didn't post the local option. Not really in the mall per se, just attached to it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Surprised you didn't post the local option. Not really in the mall per se, just attached to it.

I didn't know! You can see how they could expand that concept, although the Pike and Rt.9 kind of mess it up a bit. If you add hotels, you get consistent demand for restaurants etc.

Reaction Score
Because who doesn't want to live in a mall?!
Depends on the mall, external setting, locations (shrink v growth), etc, but have previously read of potential demographic > assisted living transitional nursing home possibilities. Potentially, same same with younger people considering moves away from current/prior urban residences.

Alternatively, a converted strip shopping center near me continues to buzz with chat/call center activity and an aviation repair training school despite ST-MT sector slow down. For the right locations with reasonable profit potential, creative minds may leverage possibilities as in many downturns/challenges. 4 walls, convertible.

Reaction Score
Hedging, puts, and stop, stop-limit possibilities exist as possible CYA?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score

This is what Irvine and Emeryville look like out in California. And they've done something similar in Harrison, NJ outside of Red Bull Arena.

More affordable housing is a good thing for society even if it's in a mall IMO.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is what Irvine and Emeryville look like out in California. And they've done something similar in Harrison, NJ outside of Red Bull Arena.

More affordable housing is a good thing for society even if it's in a mall IMO.

Emeryville. I like it. They should have a Big Red Bull Arena.

Reaction Score
Wary of financials? Why? Rates have to go up at some point. Bought in 2-3 months ago. I think they are undervalued. Still haven't rebounded to pre March levels.
Just as all IT, energy, RE, or any other sector-specific companies are not created equally, clearly all financials are not identical in business, financial condition, etc. Apr/May, JP, USB, ALLY, MS, SCHW, BK, and PYPL sufficiently bounced off of Mar lows to entice buying; less so yet bought bit of BLK, KKR and BLX anticipating far less gradual upside.

Come May/Jun this year, will likely take some LT profits of all but PYPL to breakeven and will hold remaining shares of each other "financial". Not planning to sell any PYPL. On the other hand, also wouldn't have touched WFC with anyone's through fall.

Not financials, but some decade my massive loss EKSO may magically break even and overvalued GE shares may gradually pop on medical equipment, turbine/power, eventual aviation returns. Absent needing to balance gains some year, unlikely to sell either. Anyone want some EKSO? ;) Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

Reaction Score
Just as all IT, energy, RE, or any other sector-specific companies are not created equally, clearly all financials are not identical in business, financial condition, etc. Apr/May, JP, USB, ALLY, MS, SCHW, BK, and PYPL sufficiently bounced off of Mar lows to entice buying; less so yet bought bit of BLK, KKR and BLX anticipating far less gradual upside.

Come May/Jun this year, will likely take some LT profits of all but PYPL to breakeven and will hold remaining shares of each other "financial". Not planning to sell any PYPL. On the other hand, also wouldn't have touched WFC with anyone's through fall.

Not financials, but some decade my massive loss EKSO may magically break even and overvalued GE shares may gradually pop on medical equipment, turbine/power, eventual aviation returns. Absent needing to balance gains some year, unlikely to sell either. Anyone want some EKSO? ;) Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.
Wüt? I was just wondering why husky hawk felt this way when signs point to the opposite. He said he was wary of the sector - not any individual asset per se. You also have no reason - just your plan to sell PayPal at an arbitrary date. What's the catalyst to sell in may/june ?

Reaction Score
Wüt? I was just wondering why husky hawk felt this way when signs point to the opposite. He said he was wary of the sector - not any individual asset per se. You also have no reason - just your plan to sell PayPal at an arbitrary date. What's the catalyst to sell in may/june ?
Depends on account types and analysis of individual companies, but belief then and in retrospect each the companies bought in Apr-May were markedly oversold anticipation of selling some shares to take breakeven after year, likely redeploy freed up $ to then reallocate perceived alternatives with greater upside.

Never suggested selling all shares, nor current intent to sell PYPL, but somehow keeping of companies still viewed favorably, selling some shares, and continuing to hold other shares with breakeven+ value worked well enough for >3 decades with tax deferred and non alike. If the overall S&P tanks, my accounts are partially hedged and/or I’ll hold longer, or potentially buy more shares dependent on company.

Reaction Score
Why do you like PayPal so much? I have a few shares too
Belief in company, analysis supported buying in May, closest to mobile payment apps used for decade overseas, more exp then using PYPL than SQ, crypto currency upside potential. Just one take. Could prove to be absolutely wrong!

Reaction Score
Agree. I think the physical landscape of many communities is going to change more than people may currently expect. Unfortunately, I don't know who in the real estate and construction space is actually positioned to capitalize on this. Office space can become residential, some brick and mortar retail can become local distribution/warehousing centers. Amazon hired around 450k people last year.
True. I should have added construction as an issue- it’s a nightmare and cost prohibitive- not to mention not knowing when any subs may chose the show up-right there with banks. But nothing good is easy- at least not in my experience.

Reaction Score
Quality Colocation facilities are undervalued in my opinion. But I get the sense that there are people in finance who don't really quite get what is happening. Some certainly do. Data warehouses aren't physical things. Hardly hear that word much anymore ...

That ARK video really maps closely to what I hear. But it omits some things. You want to run autonomous electric cars and trucks? Ok. What does that require, aside from improved software and batteries? It requires robust 5G, and it requires distributed (Edge) computing that can bring the latency down to times that won't result in those vehicles killing people. The amount of compute and data storage required for this future is simply staggering. And Amazon shows us just how much warehouse space you need for ecommerce. All those empty K-Mart plazas can become distribution centers.

It's going to be an interesting ride.
Always helpful for a person in the tech sector with markedly more insight and contact with sector knowledge leaders than many others to shed light for the far less informed (e.g., absolutely me).

Alas, it wasn’t entirely crazy buying some ARKK in June-July. On dips going forward: ST? MRVL/ IPHI? IZRL?

Reaction Score
Belief in company, analysis supported buying in May, closest to mobile payment apps used for decade overseas, more exp then using PYPL than SQ, crypto currency upside potential. Just one take. Could prove to be absolutely wrong!
I got into PYPL around $80 or so once I realized they owned Venmo. All the cool kids are using it.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
UAVS popping again, and TSLA with an expected drawback. QS is having a nice little run. First day I don't have any regrets about swapping my DIS for QS.
Still like UAVS in the long run but the last week and a half has caused me to drink.

Reaction Score
They updated their S1 this morning. 300 million shares. 60 million not subject to lockup, so can be sold immediately.
Ahh, the fun first few months after a SPAC merger completes. Dilution galore as the insiders take their money and run. And look forward to a bunch more when the warrants get called and everyone has to exercise turning them into more shares. Crazy thing is that this is all well understood thanks to all of the filings, but the market never seems to price any of it in. Then, when it happens, boom. I've seen this same pattern play out with numerous SPAC mergers. Enjoy the buying opportunities coming - if you believe in the underlying company.

Reaction Score
QS was back up today, but still needs a long run to get back where it was just a week ago. QS is the new TSLA. It's going to go up and down like crazy over the next 12-24 months.

Reaction Score
Bought FUTU yesterday and it went up over 9 today! Being hailed as the Chinese Robinhood. Worth keeping your eyes on.
After the NYSE's reported intent to delist mainland telcoms (before apparently reverting back again AH, FUTU traded up Tuesday with almost everything on the HKEx and SSE and SZ on the mainland. In both ridiculously competitive markets, most mainland and even most expensive local local HK brokerage firms are rubbish. A few new bells and whistles may entice some people to try Tu. East Money's the most robust mainland newish app, but it's currently unavailable to US investors or traders. Good luck.

Reaction Score
What's everyone's opinion on Tesla these days? I'm a huge fan (I've had a Model 3 since 2018) and I've been a stockholder since 2016 (I wish in a lot bigger quantities of course!) How can this stock keep continuing to run? I'm growing concerned it's too much of my portfolio and it's sky high ridiculous valuation can't last forever.

When I bought Tesla in my IRA (a rollover 401k), it was 3% of my IRA. It is now 99% (I haven't invested an additional penny to my IRA). In my brokerage account, it was about 5% and now it's 25%.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I don't want to start another thread, but does anyone have Key Bank? If yes, how is it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom