OT: Stock trading | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
Got lucky and bought two pharma stocks in Feb. Moderna and Novavax. Moderna was 19.00 and sold it at 59.00. Novavax was 9.00 and I sold it at 22.00. Took the gain and bought Starbucks at 72.00.

Starbucks is starting to slowly open globally and will soon follow suit in America. Great company and now I’ll just sit tight on it long term.
I was looking at Novavax at like $12 and didn't get in, it's now at around $40. It hurts. At least you more than doubled.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A couple I’m looking at:

Altria (MO) - if was like 60 this would be a no brainer. But their long term outlook is cloudy at best

PPL Corp (PPL) - a electricity utility company with a yield over 6% seems almost too good to be true.

Reaction Score
I was looking at Novavax at like $12 and didn't get in, it's now at around $40. It hurts. At least you more than doubled.

I have been kicking myself all day. Up from 23.00 to 40.00 in the last 2 days. I try to never complain about a profit, but seeing it jump today didnt' taste great.

Reaction Score
I have been kicking myself all day. Up from 23.00 to 40.00 in the last 2 days. I try to never complain about a profit, but seeing it jump today didnt' taste great.
That’s my biggest fault when trading, being afraid a stock I used to own is running away without me. I was disciplined recently but bought FIVN and more DocuSign today after they were up a couple dollars. Although I’ve been expecting a sell off for days now, that last hour today was rough.

Reaction Score
This thread is making me want to start investing in some stocks
Decided to jump in yesterday, don't have the money to be investing in most of the big companies mentioned in this thread but we'll see how it goes

Reaction Score
Decided to jump in yesterday, don't have the money to be investing in most of the big companies mentioned in this thread but we'll see how it goes
Welcome. Probably more of a sell off today but more opportunities to jump in for sure. Don’t get caught up in the price of the stock. Recently I bought a whopping 5 shares of Amazon but still made money on it: if they get hit today, a lot of the big names like MSFT and AMZN are smart plays for longterm. Seriously look at DOCU. It’s my biggest winner. Has gone up a lot but even yesterday it held up really well and has a lot if momentum. Good luck!

Reaction Score

What did you buy? My biggest piece of advice in my short time of investing is to not go crazy over price fluctuations. I bought Uber at $25 in March, it fell the $13 the following week, now it’s at $33. So I went from -50% to +30% all within 2 months. Plan to hold.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I heard that Kevin O’Leary invested in / created a company called Bean Stock that allows you to invest in partial shares of companies. Don’t know if that still exists, but might be worth checking out.

Reaction Score
What did you buy? My biggest piece of advice in my short time of investing is to not go crazy over price fluctuations. I bought Uber at $25 in March, it fell the $13 the following week, now it’s at $33. So I went from -50% to +30% all within 2 months. Plan to hold.
So far just Uber and Disney which I'm planning on just holding for a while to see what happens. There's some other tech stocks I have my eye on but want to watch a bit longer before jumping in there

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Bean Stox : Home - Beanstox

edit: doesn’t look like they have partial share investing any more and the app has bad reviews.

Reaction Score
Discipline and commitment are huge. You only lose on an upside down purchase if you sell. I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff like Zoom, Citrix, Tesla, Citrix and otters that shortly after went up considerably. Do your research, commit to what you’re buying, and don’t get affected by fluctuations.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yesterday I dumped some things that I am less sure of long term. Consolidating and holding a lot of cash.

Reaction Score
So far just Uber and Disney which I'm planning on just holding for a while to see what happens. There's some other tech stocks I have my eye on but want to watch a bit longer before jumping in there

Not bad at all. I’m no expert, but I own both and plan on holding long-term. Even the lowest price targets for Uber are showing 20% upside. Some are showing as much as 70% upside. Disney will have a slow recovery, but it’ll be back to $150 even if it’s not for a couple years.

Reaction Score
Yesterday I dumped some things that I am less sure of long term. Consolidating and holding a lot of cash.
I think cash is really smart right now. Recently I got out of trading account altogether because I knew there’d be a correction and wanted to capitalize. Unfortunately I got sucked in and am fully leveraged. I’m expecting another bad first half of the day, and a rally hopefully later in the day or tomorrow after they’ve shaken people out.

Reaction Score
Discipline and commitment are huge. You only lose on an upside down purchase if you sell. I’ve bought and sold a lot of stuff like Zoom, Citrix, Tesla, Citrix and otters that shortly after went up considerably. Do your research, commit to what you’re buying, and don’t get affected by fluctuations.

Discipline, commitment, and another big one is to only invest money that you are sure you will not need anytime soon!

Reaction Score

I have considered dumping my Berkshire Hathaway and getting into Google as well as increasing positions in Disney and JPM. I loaded up on Berkshire about a month ago because I thought Buffett would be buying a lot in this downturn, but instead he’s selling.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I have considered dumping my Berkshire Hathaway and getting into Google as well as increasing positions in Disney and JPM. I loaded up on Berkshire about a month ago because I thought Buffett would be buying a lot in this downturn, but instead he’s selling.

Which is concerning.

I recently sold my entire position in the S&P 500 index fund to move my cash position up to 1/3 of my portfolio. Only holding individual names now.

Going to wait for the bottom to fall off the market and double down on some of my positions / get into a few names that I’ve missed on before.

Reaction Score
Unemployment rate is going north of 20, just saw that labor participation lowest since 1973.

Stocks are still high on the stimulus measures. I just don’t see the fundamentals in a macro economic numbers dictating upward movement.

If you can pick a single stock that is doing better due to this situation (tech, consumer staples) I get it. But less jobs, less money for people mean less earnings. The economy is retracting. People spending less.

The only thing that seems to be driving these prices to the expectation of further government stimulus.

just wondering if we are in the dead cat bounce part of the crash.

Bloomberg TV seems pretty sour on the environment.

What do I know though. The more I got into the stock market after my journalism career, the less I was sure I knew about where things are going .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Unemployment rate is going north of 20, just saw that labor participation lowest since 1973.

Stocks are still high on the stimulus measures. I just don’t see the fundamentals in a macro economic numbers dictating upward movement.

If you can pick a single stock that is doing better due to this situation (tech, consumer staples) I get it. But less jobs, less money for people mean less earnings. The economy is retracting. People spending less.

The only thing that seems to be driving these prices to the expectation of further government stimulus.

What do I know though. The more I got into the stock market after my journalism career, the less I was sure I knew about where things are going .
Maybe a lot of companies and industries are discovering that they can get by with a lot fewer employees and costs with a more remote and automated workforce, and they are also able to grab a lot of stimulus cash, enjoy more regulation rollbacks and greater immunity from lawsuits as a result of the legislation that has been passed and is being discussed now.

Reaction Score

Yes and no.

I think it's a great buyer's market so long as you're really good at just sticking to really, really basic, fundamental investing strategies. It's not the time to take a on a lot of risk - but it's def. time to pick up long-term growth stocks that are underperforming.

Low volatility, high yield ETF's, lower priced oil stocks - they're going to be great buys even if they're down over the next 2-3 years. I found one ETF that trades normally at $29-$30 at $5 and rapidly climbing the last month w. a 7% dividend and a P/E at like 3. Even in the worst case scenario, it's *five dollars a share*.

I'm staying away from risky stuff in tech outside of mobile gaming. It's growth potential is huge and it's cheap to produce, affordable entertainment. I think there's 1,000% a ceiling on it, but if people want to buy stonks - those are fairly safe bets and still cheap to get into (I'm up 64.38% on GLUU at $9.42 a share and I'm up 8.2% on ZYNGA at $7.76 per share) and growing in a big market. And even if they don't, they're not stocks that are expensive enough to soil your pants.

And it's super lame - but i'm sticking to the old Warren Buffett model and that's it:

-Stock has to be stable/understandable
-Good long-term prospects (will it be around in 20 years)?
-Good leadership (esp. w/ regards to how they manage debt)
-Currently undervalued.

Keep the P/E below 10. Deep the P/BV under 1. Make sure they quarterly have more revenue than liabilities and *in most cases* - it's going to be a safe investment regardless of *most* of what's going on in the marketplace.

And that's really it. Just don't get too adventurous. Do your homework. And of course, do what works for you and don't overextend yourself.

Reaction Score
Yes and no.

I think it's a great buyer's market so long as you're really good at just sticking to really, really basic, fundamental investing strategies. It's not the time to take a on a lot of risk - but it's def. time to pick up long-term growth stocks that are underperforming.

Low volatility, high yield ETF's, lower priced oil stocks - they're going to be great buys even if they're down over the next 2-3 years. I found one ETF that trades normally at $29-$30 at $5 and rapidly climbing the last month w. a 7% dividend and a P/E at like 3. Even in the worst case scenario, it's *five dollars a share*.

I'm staying away from risky stuff in tech outside of mobile gaming. It's growth potential is huge and it's cheap to produce, affordable entertainment. I think there's 1,000% a ceiling on it, but if people want to buy stonks - those are fairly safe bets and still cheap to get into (I'm up 64.38% on GLUU at $9.42 a share and I'm up 8.2% on ZYNGA at $7.76 per share) and growing in a big market. And even if they don't, they're not stocks that are expensive enough to soil your pants.

And it's super lame - but i'm sticking to the old Warren Buffett model and that's it:

-Stock has to be stable/understandable
-Good long-term prospects (will it be around in 20 years)?
-Good leadership (esp. w/ regards to how they manage debt)
-Currently undervalued.

Keep the P/E below 10. Deep the P/BV under 1. Make sure they quarterly have more revenue than liabilities and *in most cases* - it's going to be a safe investment regardless of *most* of what's going on in the marketplace.

And that's really it. Just don't get too adventurous. Do your homework. And of course, do what works for you and don't overextend yourself.
I partly agree about the P/E model. It’s a good safe rule but you can miss out on a ton of high flyers that trade at considerably high multiples, and those have been the stocks that have made some huge gains in this market. Do you avoid every stock that has a negative multiple? I’ve done really well on DocuSign, which isn’t profitable yet but is a fantastic stock. All depends on an investor’s time horizon,

Reaction Score
I partly agree about the P/E model. It’s a good safe rule but you can miss out on a ton of high flyers that trade at considerably high multiples, and those have been the stocks that have made some huge gains in this market. Do you avoid every stock that has a negative multiple? I’ve done really well on DocuSign, which isn’t profitable yet but is a fantastic stock. All depends on an investor’s time horizon,

Totally - and now and then I’ll make exceptions; but I’m fairly conservative when it comes to common stock, or at least as I pick who I’m gonna buy. I make big, big bets on stocks but I’m insanely picky about what I buy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom