OT: Stock trading | Page 149 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I bought a bit of LINK on the dip. Sold some stocks and ETFs and rebalanced into safety to some extent.

Reaction Score
1st family dip in LINK waters < 24. Thanks to my wife's insights yesterday re: further mainland enablement of the Yuan crypto, and subsequently waking up to her phone's SG crypto app texts.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What’s a safety play for you?

There's no real inflation adjusted safety, and you run the risk of missing the start of the next bull if you just play safe. For me it's just a rebalancing exercise. I bought a TIPs ETF (not TIPS, the Schwab one has lower expenses), and some other things. I was overweighted in things I think have too much likelihood to go down in the near term.

If you are truly going to just hold, buy SPY and make it the basis of a portfolio. It's a pretty foolproof long term solution honestly. You will miss some massive individual stock gains, and you will miss huge collapses in individual stocks. From there you can dial in risk with specific stocks or small caps, QQQ, IWF things like that. Or dial it down with short term bond funds, dividend and income ETFs. All I did was dial down. I'm still riskier than SPY on the whole.

Reaction Score
1st family dip in LINK waters < 24. Thanks to my wife's insights yesterday re: further mainland enablement of the Yuan crypto, and subsequently waking up to her phone's SG crypto app texts.
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Reaction Score
What’s a safety play for you?
Canadian banks, typically reasonable divs, more conservative than similar size US banks, and solid foundation of commodities-based economy. Snooze fests, usually not growth oriented. BNS (owns share of Santander Chile which may weigh down BNS a bit until Chilean constitution politics clean up), TD, and at lower valuations than now RY and lesser known Canadian Western (CWBWF ADR of CWB.TO). UK (BCS) and Aussie banks (pick lowest valuation; commodities based economy). Commodities bought 3Q&4Q. Bit more spice, BLX (Latin America commercial bank). SPY and QQQ puts.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Canadian banks, typically reasonable divs, more conservative than similar size US banks, and solid foundation of commodities-based economy. Snooze fests, usually not growth oriented. BNS (owns share of Santander Chile which may weigh down BNS a bit until Chilean constitution politics clean up), TD, and at lower valuations than now RY and lesser known Canadian Western (CWBWF ADR of CWB.TO). UK (BCS) and Aussie banks (pick lowest valuation; commodities based economy). Commodities bought 3Q&4Q. Bit more spice, BLX (Latin America commercial bank). SPY and QQQ puts.

good choice.

I also like the small regional banks in the US as they are usually more conservatively run.

pbct
Ozk

etc.

Reaction Score
I got some ETH a number of years ago and forgot about it when it was around 100/coin.

When ETH was a little higher, recently, I used some of my earnings to buy a lot of cheaper coins like ADA and Icon and a few others, still have some ETH too.

Not too phased by today, going to ride it out and enjoy the ride, wherever it takes us.

Reaction Score
3 or 4 people I work with each spent something like 4k on an ethereum each last week. All people who have never actually invested in ANYTHING before. As in, I "hey guys, you might want to look into our 403B option or a Roth IRA instead of cryptos for a first investment EVER" and 5+ years into full time work non had made a single retirement contribution.

As I type this, they're having some kind of therapy session on the teacher's patio to try to convince each other not to sell and cut their losses. I think it's fair to say the risk of the crypto game was not up their alley.

I have 5ish ethereum I bought for like 50$ each years ago. I'm definitely in the mindset of not even looking at it as much as I can help it. I don't get the feeling ethereum is going anywhere, and I'll probably just cash it out when it comes time to buy a house. Sold my bitcoin in 2017 and I'm kicking myself for it to this day--lesson learned.
Isn't the general rule of thumb of investment, especially when new to it, to only invest what you aren't afraid of losing? Doubly, maybe even triply so with CC seeing as how volatile it is. You hear of these guys turning 250k life savings into 2.5 million via dogecoin or something like that but those stories are so rare and incredibly risky. Plus there are also those guys who pay 10k BTC for a pizza and kick themselves a decade later, or the many in the middle who just even out, give or take a k or two, over the course of time. Too many people are impatient too. My gf, well, her brother invested a few years ago. The next day there was something similar to what happened yesterday and he took everything out immediately in a panic. I think a lot of people do that. I invested in it keeping in mind what I mentioned in the first sentence, I am going to play the long game regardless of trends like yesterday. Plus, study the coin you are investing in, at least a little, and what real-world niche does it fill, or what real-world function does it actually have?

My gf wanted to get into CC. She asked how much I thought she should invest. "What amount could you invest and, if you were to lose it all, walk away without it being a big deal?" Obviously, the goal is not to lose it all and to hopefully gain. But by thinking of it that way, she came to the conclusion that she could risk 200 euros, at least for the time being and not feel like there was any chance of losing sleep regardless of what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
chainlink is everywhere. Great collaboration.

Thats incredible news. Chainlink seems to be one of (if not THE) the safest crypto investments out there... No matter what crypto ecosystems evolve to be the the largest over time, whether Ethereum, Cardano, Hedera, Solana, Polkadot etc. it seems like LINK is involved no matter what.

Reaction Score
Thats incredible news. Chainlink seems to be one of (if not THE) the safest crypto investments out there... No matter what crypto ecosystems evolve to be the the largest over time, whether Ethereum, Cardano, Hedera, Solana, Polkadot etc. it seems like LINK is involved no matter what.

Bout to set another record high for new monthly integrations. 36 this month and counting

Reaction Score
KSS - Blow out 1Q results; inexplicable 12% dive early today (still 10% at 2:30); doubt it lasts. You don't have to shop at Kohl's, but anyone believe many parents won't deck their kids out for back-to-school? Took some profits last week up 275% on shares bought May 20; added back unplanned fewer amount pre-market.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
KSS - Blow out 1Q results; inexplicable 12% dive early today (still 10% at 2:30); doubt it lasts. You don't have to shop at Kohl's, but anyone believe many parents won't deck their kids out for back-to-school? Took some profits last week up 275% on shares bought May 20; added back unplanned fewer amount pre-market.
My wife was a big contributor to those earnings. Somehow a trip to get a few things for the kids turns into bags full of stuff.

"I have Kohl's Cash that's about to expire!!" is a common phrase in our house.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

My instinct last March was to buy Target. I didn't listen to my instinct, and that was a mistake. I bought Lowes yesterday.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My wife was a big contributor to those earnings. Somehow a trip to get a few things for the kids turns into bags full of stuff.

"I have Kohl's Cash that's about to expire!!" is a common phrase in our house.

I"m pretty sure Kohl's ends up paying my mother at least $100 every time she goes there between her Kohl's cash, paper coupons and e coupons.

Reaction Score
Anybody have any ideas of what company is doing this? I would definitely want to get in on this if possible.

Earth power: hemp batteries better than lithium and graphene – UKCSC
I'm on the lookout. Cool read. Speaking of sustainability, I did find this published today.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been watching ABML.

They filed paperwork today to get listed on NASDAQ.

I'm curious to see how it goes next few months to years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom