OT: Stock trading | Page 108 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
This past spring my 17 year old high school senior grandson called and said he was taking a course in the stock market and to send him cash for his birthday. I asked what he was going to buy. He said there is one company that is really exciting and he bought it in the 20's. He was full of new 'nano' technology and having all ready in place distribution systems, six month shelf life. Because I wanted to show faith in him I bought a few shares for 40. And so we could have something to talk about.

The stock NVAX. Motley Fool just posted their conservative estimate for USA only revenues are at $4.5B. I think I'm going to ride this one for a while. Also, it pays to have kids who are smarter than you :)
I bought 310 shares of NVAX in 2013. Sold them a few months later. This is how much 310 shares were worth then.
C55C50B3-E6A2-41BD-B6EB-701B10E96E4D.jpeg

Reaction Score

Not your average hype video - the guy uses facts and math. But the SSR list needs to be in place for tomorrow.

He didn’t really say anything other than Black Rock buying up 6% of the shares. What did I miss?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My concern is, what happened last week, will drive away millions of new investors who were getting excited and knowledgeable about the market.
Do football bettors quit betting football after a bad week?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This past spring my 17 year old high school senior grandson called and said he was taking a course in the stock market and to send him cash for his birthday. I asked what he was going to buy. He said there is one company that is really exciting and he bought it in the 20's. He was full of new 'nano' technology and having all ready in place distribution systems, six month shelf life. Because I wanted to show faith in him I bought a few shares for 40. And so we could have something to talk about.

The stock NVAX. Motley Fool just posted their conservative estimate for USA only revenues are at $4.5B. I think I'm going to ride this one for a while. Also, it pays to have kids who are smarter than you :)

It's what I always say, buy what you know. If you don't understand the business, don't know what the growth prospects are for the addressable market, don't know who the competitors are, what barriers to entry exist, threats from technology or other changes, then you are at a disadvantage. In this case, he knew more than the average person.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think I shared an article that said blink or plug partnered with a shipping container company. I can’t find the article. Does anyone know the shipping company?

Reaction Score
I bought 310 shares of NVAX in 2013. Sold them a few months later. This is how much 310 shares were worth then. View attachment 64194
That's awesome, too bad he couldn't have put his entire 529 plan into that stock = someone finally found something increasing faster than college tuition rates !

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It isn't at all exciting, or subject to dramatic increases, but one ETF I like is MOAT. It's a passively managed index ETF. For people looking for something less speculative.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
And there it is. New All Time High

I bought some at 23.45 last week. Anybody have thoughts on LTC? It seems less talked about.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He didn’t really say anything other than Black Rock buying up 6% of the shares. What did I miss?
Percentage of shorts still very high, AMC will be on a SSR List, makes comments on volume, and the trends compared to GME.

Reaction Score
I bought some at 23.45 last week. Anybody have thoughts on LTC? It seems less talked about.
LITE and BCH have been laggers (both related to BTC). I have a lot of LITE and for now I'm being patient- but if it stalls more then another month or so I will prob exit half my position and put it somewhere else. BCH might have a bigger upside in the long run (its old high is $4000 ish).
I think you are safe a these levels barring an overall crash in the markets. But LINK (as I am sure you know) is an oracle -they are not easy to form and are more like buying into a company. LITE is strait up currency.
Short answer- LITE is still a good buy but need to see some movement soon for me to stay a holder- simply because my money could work harder for me elsewhere in crypto. I could look and give you some levels if you would like to c what our charts are telling us.

Reaction Score
I use to own some back in the day. I really think it depends on your digital asset philosophy. To me, it is just a faster version of Bitcoin but doesn't provide any real-world value besides being a store of value. It used to be that Bitcoin, and still is to a certain extent, the gateway to the crypto space. For a long while you had to buy Bitcoin first, then exchange it for any other coin you wanted. However, that is becoming less and less the case these days, as companies like Uniswap, Sushiswap, and Kyber Network are solving that issue.

Ethereum is not only an ecosystem that different companies can build upon (chainlink/synthetix/everything), but is also starting to be looked upon as a store of value as well. So imo, it is by far the better long term investment compared to btc/litecoin, I think Bitcoin just has a first-mover advantage and name recognition.

Personally, I think Ethereum and decentralized finance companies like chainlink, synthetix network, Aave, etc... are going to be the big winners.

Reaction Score
can someone settle wth is going on with AMC and GME? Are the algorithms doing this? Are people just dumping? Will there be massive buying soon? Is this all related to expiring options?
Got this off Reddit.

Watch video in link about FTD (failure to deliver) % shares of GME and is a major reason why we’re at where we’re at right now

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Maybe that why you were able to retire early!

Perhaps. But I took everything out of the market when I retired in 2015. I would have been far better off had I left everything in the S&P index fund. No regrets.

What sucks is there is no safe option like my mother and grandmother had. They were able to buy bonds making 8+%. I have a former coworker who put $10k in bonds in the late 70s/early 80s for each of their kids college fund. Kids graduated in the late 90s and they didn't have to pay a dime out of pocket for their kids college education.

These low rates are great for those refinancing. They suck for retirees.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom