OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I would be OK with him as an assistant but not as head coach. He has a low ceiling. Ending the season with a 8-4 record and going to the Poinsettia Bowl or the Independence Bowl year after year isn't what fans want from their football team.
Maybe, but this is UCONN. We aren't ever going to contend for a NC - football programs don't just come up out of nowhere. Show me a program with as small a stadium in as small a market who's consistently done better than 8-4 and the Poinsettia bowl...

I don't know how all the mid majors have traditionally done, but I looked up the "historical top 10" football programs by decade. In the past 50 years, not a single program outside of a P5 conference, unless you count teams like Auburn, Va Tech, and Colorado as "fringe" teams.

Reaction Score
I would be OK with him as an assistant but not as head coach. He has a low ceiling. Ending the season with a 8-4 record and going to the Poinsettia Bowl or the Independence Bowl year after year isn't what fans want from their football team.

Going 8-4 and going to the Independence Bowl is about as high a ceiling as UConn could have. Many fans understand this. Edsel did an incredible job while at Storrs.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Really? I thought disco was a much older medium...

This was probably taken around the end of disco`s third season:

disco.jpg

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Going 8-4 and going to the Independence Bowl is about as high a ceiling as UConn could have. Many fans understand this. Edsel did an incredible job while at Storrs.
He did, then he gave his players, the ones that got him his "dream job", a figurative finger when he left town without telling them why. He couldn't fly home with the team and explain that he was leaving. No, he flew right to Maryland from the Fiesta Bowl. It was a crappy way to treat the team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
With Diaco getting fired what will happen to the Civil ConFLiCT rivalry/trophy ?

smile dog.jpg

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I'm certainly not pushing for Edsall, just commenting about the potential, and harsh feedback that may come by such a hire. Some fans may not come back because of him, but as a long-time fan, I still want to watch the Huskies play football at this level. My only add on comment to yours is that even that 8 - 4 record and the bowl appearance was done with players he recruited while his foot was partially out the door. I hope his contract would be heavily weighted in the schools favor should he consider that again. IMHO I would not want him picked as the best of the final choices by a slim margin, give me the next guy, he doesn't deserve to be a close winner!

Reaction Score
Diaco wasn't going to be able to repair the catastrophic damage done to the program with the Pasqualoni debacle in just a few years. Neither will the next coach. They should have saved the $3 million dollar buyout. There are no great college football teams east of Penn State and north of Maryland and that's the way it will stay for the foreseeable future. UConn has too much going against it. Poor attendance. Apathetic fans. Weak schedule. No tradition. No huge on-campus stadium. It will be very hard to get good coaches and good players to sign on. Very hard.

I agree with just about everything except the notion that UConn should have kept Diaco. Just because the Huskies will never be a football power does not mean they can't be respectable. That just was not going to happen under Diaco.

Reaction Score

He is also did that with great assistants like Moorehead, Orlando, Weist, etc. His assistants will be far inferior if he returns because no longer is UConn in a Power conference with automatic BCS bowl births as was the case in the Big East.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned because it seems to be a Boneyard thing but it's sad to see the pretty go away.

It took me two years to get over Marci Glenney's transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom