OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
also the talent... Im not sure a lot of good players are excited about playing UConn football. The practice facility is quality but there's just too many options other than UConn. Its going to take a situation like Geno when he first came to UConn... but convincing 80 players vs 12 is a huge difference
Unlike Geno coming in with minimal local competition, UConn football has Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. going after the top talent. Many have been better being a top school at lower level rather than moving up to D1.

Reaction Score
I am thrilled the AD made the decision, and decided not to drag out the disaster any longer. It's hard to fathom that Edsell was able to get the team to numerous bowl games, and made us a respectable program, but then the last 2 hires have been simply disastrous. Diaco had excellent pedigree - he was an asst for Notre Dame. His suckage, however, was incredible. Did not think we'd ever have a HC as bad as Pasqualoni...

Question is: What took so long. Most UC fans begged for this a year or tw0 ago. Edsel whom some were thrill to see go---got to look pretty good. Diaco--only proved that assistants don't always learn how to coach. They learn the language, but not the job.

So FAN's how does the AD go about getting a winner with out paying out more than Uconn can/will spend??

Reaction Score
OTE="Monte, post: 1952752, member: 5888"]He is a "Great Talker," alright. Never, at any level, have I heard a head coach criticize his assistants so much. (you do that with the coaches in private). And, he showed great team spirit by wearing a bright RED shirt at every game.....Go Blue+White!

Not a red shirt....

View attachment 17961 [/QUOTE]

Day one, Management 101---Praise in Public, chastise in private!! Only a fool does otherwise.

Let us be thankful for fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed (mark twain)

Reaction Score
The article says that he's owed $3.4 million in a buy-out. And then there is the multi-millionaire contract for his successor. I believe someone here pointed out that the UConn women's entire program costs $7 million a year. So just the head coach(es) will cost Connecticut about half that over the next couple of years. But somehow, it's football that controls what the athletic program does?

Talk about unfair!
And there are thousands who complain of CEO 's who fail and get huge perks---This guy couldn't CEO a dog farm.
Think of the guy working a drill press at Pratt and Whitney for 50k per year and gets fire--he gets Nada and has to beg for the next job if he can get one. Isn't America great in how we mistreat one end of the hiring spectrum???

Reaction Score
also the talent... Im not sure a lot of good players are excited about playing UConn football. The practice facility is quality but there's just too many options other than UConn. Its going to take a situation like Geno when he first came to UConn... but convincing 80 players vs 12 is a huge difference

Uconn football has the reverse of Geno's program--
Geno can give kids lots of visibility/exposure on TV and regionally--a recognized program. Not so in Football.
But we must remember--Geno didn't start with a high Vis program either.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Diaco wasn't going to be able to repair the catastrophic damage done to the program with the Pasqualoni debacle in just a few years. Neither will the next coach. They should have saved the $3 million dollar buyout. There are no great college football teams east of Penn State and north of Maryland and that's the way it will stay for the foreseeable future. UConn has too much going against it. Poor attendance. Apathetic fans. Weak schedule. No tradition. No huge on-campus stadium. It will be very hard to get good coaches and good players to sign on. Very hard.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned because it seems to be a Boneyard thing but it's sad to see the pretty go away.

Reaction Score
Moorhead worked at UConn previously and was the offensive coordinator during two of Edsall's best years. And he turned around a morbid Fordham program in the Patriot League. Team was very exciting offensively. And he's done wonders for Penn State's offense. I think this would be a solid hire.

GOPSUSPORTS.com Joe Moorhead Bio :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Football

It would be a great hire - but I can't imagine he would be interested.

Reaction Score
Moorhead has been said to be the top pick for the hire since the moment it was announced Diaco was relieved of his duties this morning. There's been an increase in smoke regarding him staying at PSU for another season - and while when there's smoke, there's usually fire... I'm not sure what anyone expects him or PSU staff / insiders to say. He's going to be at the Rose Bowl on the 2nd, and I don't think anyone in their right mind would announce they're leaving before a bowl game. It's in poor taste, in my opinion, and it becomes a distraction to the team. Granted, I don't think we'll get Moorhead and he might very well not leave PSU, but if he was thinking about it or was in talks for the UConn job, I doubt we'd hear about it until after the Rose Bowl.

But hey, as long as it's not Edsall... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Moorhead worked at UConn previously and was the offensive coordinator during two of Edsall's best years. And he turned around a morbid Fordham program in the Patriot League. Team was very exciting offensively. And he's done wonders for Penn State's offense. I think this would be a solid hire.

GOPSUSPORTS.com Joe Moorhead Bio :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Football
I was thinking ND would try to get Moorhead. I think Moorhead would prefer a P5 school and ultimately wants to be somewhere with a high profile. I think his stay at Penn State is a stepping stone much like that of Bill O'Brien when he left the Patriots to coach Penn State for two years before getting the Texans job.

Reaction Score
Acquiring a good coach & assistants is one thing but the other is acquiring good recruits. No Get, no go. "GOOD LUCK" !

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Moorehead has indicated he is not interested. It is a critical choice for school.

For those who have said that UConn can't field a football team, it was only a few short years ago that UConn was consistently going to bowl games (including the prestigious Fiesta Bowl) and playing before 35,000+ fans. UConn has beaten many of the P5 named schools including at Notre Dame. We've beaten SEC, Big 10 and ACC programs. We've just had two very bad hires.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I was thinking ND would try to get Moorhead. I think Moorhead would prefer a P5 school and ultimately wants to be somewhere with a high profile. I think his stay at Penn State is a stepping stone much like that of Bill O'Brien when he left the Patriots to coach Penn State for two years before getting the Texans job.

Interesting how these football posts both weave though UConn, Fordham and ND. Moorhead took his offensive coordinator experience from UConn and blossomed at Fordham. The last decent teams at Rose Hill before him were Dave Clawson who then went over to Bowling Green.While there, Mike Elko joined him as defensive coordinator and went to Wake Forest with him. Now Elko is the ND defensive coordinator, being hired and vetted just before Diaco got fired at UConn. (Diaco, of course, got hired at UConn based on his previous work at ND.)

Moorhead poses interesting choices for P5/ND type schools. Has head-coaching experience but not quite at the "big boy" level. Yet, he slays it wherever and whatever he does. If he hangs around another year at PSU, he could have some interesting choices.

Reaction Score
Interesting how these football posts both weave though UConn, Fordham and ND. Moorhead took his offensive coordinator experience from UConn and blossomed at Fordham. The last decent teams at Rose Hill before him were Dave Clawson who then went over to Bowling Green.While there, Mike Elko joined him as defensive coordinator and went to Wake Forest with him. Now Elko is the ND defensive coordinator, being hired and vetted just before Diaco got fired at UConn. (Diaco, of course, got hired at UConn based on his previous work at ND.)

Moorhead poses interesting choices for P5/ND type schools. Has head-coaching experience but not quite at the "big boy" level. Yet, he slays it wherever and whatever he does. If he hangs around another year at PSU, he could have some interesting choices.
I think P5 schools looking to make a splash are taking bigger risks in relative newcomers/rising stars because they can pay them less than someone fully established at another program, you scoop them before someone else does and deal with them leaving later down the road (better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all), they can't do any worse than what you already have, and there's usually some positive press/buzz generated by hiring such a guy which can only help. Can it get any worse for ND at this point? There have been some controversial things that have happened under Brian Kelly's watch that combined with this season's record would make firing easy, and ND being a football first school is ripe for such a reactionary personnel change because they're ND and they can. I thought this during the season watching ND's season go down the drain. Of course given that ND had a bunch of close losses, perhaps that eases the sting (if I were a fan it wouldn't), but maybe they aren't as desperate to turn it around as I assume the AD would be. I always assumed Penn State was a temporary stop for Moorhead, and it was merely a question of which P5 job he would take and when. I've read on some of the Penn State boards (unsubstantiated) that Moorhead used the team's trip to West Lafayette to interview for the Purdue job, so the guy was already itching (or at the very least open to consideration) to move on after just half a season. I think he knows he's good, just has to bide his time, and will have his pick of jobs and the money to go with it as they will no doubt open up after bowl season.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Really? I thought disco was a much older medium...

nah, this is an older medium

stock-photo-female-fortuneteller-or-esoteric-oracle-sees-in-the-future-by-looking-into-their-crystal-ball-244779652.jpg

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I met Bobby Diaco several years ago, while he played at Iowa. I liked him and his sense of commitment. He was a relentless, if undersized linebacker, and a passionate leader of his defense.

I'm sorry he was so unsuccessful at UConn. Maybe he can land on his feet at a smaller program, or go back to being an assistant for a larger one.

It's hard to wrap one's head around anyone getting 3+ million for such obvious failure. I would gladly screw up anything you please, and I'll do it for less!

Reaction Score
the next coach ? rumor is, Randy is back

th

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unlike Geno coming in with minimal local competition, UConn football has Penn State, Syracuse, Boston College, etc. going after the top talent. Many have been better being a top school at lower level rather than moving up to D1.

Lower level doesn't pay the bills, even when successful, and the fans won't turn out, nor will they have enough interest to wager a coffee or two at that level.

Reaction Score
The Fates could not be so cruel.

I would not be afraid of his ability to return us to where we were, but could never forgive him for what he did to our program AFTER his success. Maybe a little pro bono work would soften the blow if the powers that be really wanted him, but on the surface he does not deserve the opportunity, new dream job or not!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would not be afraid of his ability to return us to where we were, but could never forgive him for what he did to our program AFTER his success. Maybe a little pro bono work would soften the blow if the powers that be really wanted him, but on the surface he does not deserve the opportunity, new dream job or not!
I would be OK with him as an assistant but not as head coach. He has a low ceiling. Ending the season with a 8-4 record and going to the Poinsettia Bowl or the Independence Bowl year after year isn't what fans want from their football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom