OT: Songs about horses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs about horses

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There's something about white horses apparently.

Reaction Score
U2 - Who's gonna ride your wild horses. Great song off the Achtung Baby album. I would post the video from Youtube if I only knew how.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
U2 - Who's gonna ride your wild horses. Great song off the Achtung Baby album. I would post the video from Youtube if I only knew how.
Copy and paste here.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not a song about horses, but a two minute video from The Smithsonian on "The Stone Pony"... a favorite music venue of Springsteen and many other musicians...

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Having covered thoroughbred racing for 45 years the song that comes to mind is "Fugue for Tinhorns ("I got the horse right here...") from Guys and Dolls.

But horse racing is better known for sayings and poems than songs:

One white foot, ride him for your life.
Two white feet, give him to your wife.
Three white feet, keep him not a day.
Four white feet, send him far away.

Of course, Secretariat had three white stockings so I wouldn't put too much stock in that one.

Racing is a business and it takes a lot of jack,
To train and raise your horses but the way to get it back,
Is by putting over longshots with a nice, big, juicy bet,
But when you spread the word around, short odds is what you get.
So why should a guy who spends his time to train and race his plugs.
Go and tell a hot tip to a bunch of racetrack mugs?
--Ken Kling

"There are a hundred ways to lose a race."
Yeah, and the horse I bet knew every one of them."

"That horse is so slow he's just wearing horseshoes for luck."

"The horse I bet went off at 25/1.
Unfortunately he came home at ten after two."

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This might be cheating a bit since it's an instrumental. Written by Bill Monroe. Performed here by fiddler Kenny Baker. I swear I heard Bill was inspired to write this song while playing at the Darrington Bluegrass Festival here in Washington. The impressive north face of Whitehorse Mountain is very prominent from the stage. Maybe this isn't true and has just become a legend. Anyway.

here's some images of the mountain from the town

whitehorse mountain seen from darrington - Google Search

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A better version of Elton with Luciano and I'm skipping to the drama:

Gotta say some of the realiest moments of my life have been on horseback and around these wonders on four legs. Gentle gods of pure instinct.

JordyG

Reaction Score
A better version of Elton with Luciano and I'm skipping to the drama:

Gotta say some of the realiest moments of my life have been on horseback and around these wonders on four legs. Gentle gods of pure instinct.

What interesting is walking around NYC, turning a corner and seeing an officer mounted on one of these magnificent animals.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
What interesting is walking around NYC, turning a corner and seeing an officer mounted on one of these magnificent animals.

I actually contributed a real nice guy to the department. He had to pass a suitability test, etc, and he did; sweet and steady. Really big, imposing bay, but he didn't work for me 'cuz he seemed so laid back, lazy. In his second year with the Force he started having seizures of a sort I'm told and he was retired to an upstate farm where retired police horses go.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
So, yeah, it's sorta a religion with me:

That was a fun movie; but the horse(s) they had play him were donkeys compared to Secretariat.

Last edited:

JordyG

Reaction Score
I actually contributed a real nice guy to the department. He had to pass a suitability test, etc, and he did; sweet and steady. Really big, imposing bay, but he didn't work for me 'cuz he seemed so laid back, lazy. In his second year with the Force he started having seizures of a sort I'm told and he was retired to an upstate farm where retired police horses go.
Sad. But it seems that big soldier earned a retirement.
So, yeah, it's sorta a religion with me:

That was a fun movie; but the horse(s) they had play him were donkeys compared to Secretariat.

Yeah. Hard to find a horse that big that could at least run. Wasn't it Kelso though that used to stop, pose and preen for the cameras?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Sad. But it seems that big soldier earned a retirement.

Yeah. Hard to find a horse that big that could at least run. Wasn't it Kelso though that used to stop, pose and preen for the cameras?

Kelso was a magnificent runner. I don't recall him and a camera romance, although it is not that unusual. They are flight animals and hyper aware of what is going on around them and naturally curious. Once they figure out you aren't trying to kill them with that thing that goes click they tend to play along.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Does a song that includes the word "backstretch" count?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Emmylou singing Leonard Cohen. It doesn't get much better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom