OT: Song Thread - Guitars | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Song Thread - Guitars

Reaction Score
So much of Joni Mitchell's sound illustrates her unique take(s) on tuning.
From her earliest appearances with Oscar Brand (see YouTube) through her concerts with Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny she could confuse and entral the best.

Reaction Score
Great guitarist playing a song about a guitar. How could you not include Chet Atkins and "Yakety Axe"?

Reaction Score
No Leslie West? Really? I've played guitar most of my life and always felt the best solos were the ones that expressed pure emotion. I appreciate all the notes the players on this thread bring to the table. For my money, some of Clapton's best work ("While My Guitar Gently Weeps"; "Crossroads") and David Gilmour's solo on "Comfortably Numb" are hard to be beat in terms of pure emotion and tone as well technicality. I would include this solo from Leslie West, dedicated to his deceased friend Felix (most of you know who I'm talking about. It's not the most difficult solo on this thread by any stretch but I'll put it up there with any of the others for it's beauty.

Reaction Score
All right, you want a great guitar based song? Try Alphonse Mouzon and Tommy Bolin together:

Reaction Score
It's not the most difficult solo on this thread by any stretch but I'll put it up there with any of the others for it's beauty.

Gotta agree, that was pretty sweet. Love the left hand vibrato along with the whammy bar technique. I like that he spends some time in the middle and lower end of the fretboard. That's where the melody is. Too many shredders play way up high sound like they're choking a chicken.

I've been playing for fifty years so I'm either ahead of you or got some catching up to do.

Does the Tele in your avatar have any age? I've got a super nice '75 Blackie Strat. Wish it was '65 though, it would be worth ten times what it's worth now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The pink Tele is one of several parts-built guitars I made and own. There's a fellow who makes age-worn bodies and I have another guy who custom-makes pickups to my liking. Other aged parts were found on eBay. I've probably owned and sold over 150 guitars in my lifetime looking for the "magic axe". It doesn't exist. I've owned a number of pre-CBS Strats and early 60's Les Paul SG's and came to the conclusion it's all in the fingers. There was no magic. Anyway, don't worry about owning a '75 Strat if it works for you. I was living in Ohio back in '74. You could buy a 50's Strat for $450. I bought a '56 for $300 because the seller was desperate to get out of town. Sold it to my brother a long time ago, and he sold it as well. It wasn't a great player. However, it would have covered the cost of one year of my daughter's UCONN education. Who knew? As far as how long I've been playing guitar. Started with Ed Sullivan and The Beatles. Been playing in rock bands ever since. It's not how I make my living but its great therapy!!

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Yeah, I know, everyone has a Top Ten List comprised of about 500 songs. But this is my favorite.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
And his son (and daughter)

Let's Talk About It - Dweezil Zappa

I've watched tons of Zappa Plays Zappa footage. Dweezil is the real deal. It's unfortunate what Ahmet and Diva are doing to him.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is a band I just heard for the first time today. It's led by a local teenager named Lindsey Jordan. They're not exactly my cuppa but she's not exactly a typical 17-year-old.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
So much of Joni Mitchell's sound illustrates her unique take(s) on tuning.
From her earliest appearances with Oscar Brand (see YouTube) through her concerts with Jaco Pastorius and Pat Metheny she could confuse and entral the best.

My favorite of Joni's acoustic guitar licks. Presumably a 12-string:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I thought I had posted a video of Joe Satriani playing Sleepwalk after the one with Brian Setzer. Doesn't appear to be there for some reason. Yes, the song was the same, but any other similarity is pure happenstance. Not only do they use completely different styles, Setzer looks like a greaser from the cast of The Outsiders. Satriani looks like Lord Voldamort.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey let's not leave out the bass. Here's one from Chris Squire. RIP "Fish"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger