OT: Sleep study question | The Boneyard

OT: Sleep study question

Reaction Score
Has anybody had one? Going to Homewood Suites in Farmington for a sleep study tonight. Any info on what to expect would be appreciated. TY

Reaction Score
This isn't for the sleep study question as I've already had mine done, but I've been given an automatic CPAP machine to use at night. Suggestions on how long it takes to get used to it? I can't seem to wear it more than 4 hours and that has been best case scenario .

Thoughts?? Much appreciated .

Reaction Score
Has anybody had one? Going to Homewood Suites in Farmington for a sleep study tonight. Any info on what to expect would be appreciated. TY
I assume most sleep studies are similar, for me they hooked my head up to a bunch of wires, and it was very uncomfortable. Good luck to you.

Reaction Score
This isn't for the sleep study question as I've already had mine done, but I've been given an automatic CPAP machine to use at night. Suggestions on how long it takes to get used to it? I can't seem to wear it more than 4 hours and that has been best case scenario .

Not sure what you have, but I just recently got an apap and it does take some time to get used to (maybe 2 months?). I think a lot of it depends on what type of mask you get. I opted for "nose pillows" which seemed the least intrusive. When you first start out if feels like someone is blasting air down your throat, but now I actually find it odd to try sleeping without it. I guess all I can say is if you aren't using it for more than 4 hours than it probably isn't comfortable enough and you should try switching the mask to find one that doesn't bother you.

Reaction Score
It's pretty uncomfortable, don't expect to sleep a lot as they will keep coming in to check on you, make adjustments to the wires, etc. They may even put you on a CPAP in the middle of the night. As far as the machine itself if you have to get one, god bless you. I tried every different kind of mask with no luck. So had to have two surgeries to try and help my apnea instead. Worst experience of my life.

Good luck to you, sorry to be a downer!

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Not sure what you have, but I just recently got an apap and it does take some time to get used to (maybe 2 months?). I think a lot of it depends on what type of mask you get. I opted for "nose pillows" which seemed the least intrusive. When you first start out if feels like someone is blasting air down your throat, but now I actually find it odd to try sleeping without it. I guess all I can say is if you aren't using it for more than 4 hours than it probably isn't comfortable enough and you should try switching the mask to find one that doesn't bother you.
Me too. The nose pillows are WAY better than one of this full Hannibal Lechter looking masks. It only took me a couple of days to get used to it and definitely feels odd to try and sleep without it now. I wish it was a little smaller as I travel a lot and it’s kind of a pain to tote it around but I just don’t sleep well without it.

Reaction Score

I have a full mask as I breath through my mouth most of the night. Usually wake up like 2 hours into sleep and then the air blowing is really hard and I wait to then go back to sleep but then I get frustrated later because I'm not sleeping and so I just take it off. I know I shouldn't do that.

Reaction Score
I have a full mask as I breath through my mouth most of the night. Usually wake up like 2 hours into sleep and then the air blowing is really hard and I wait to then go back to sleep but then I get frustrated later because I'm not sleeping and so I just take it off. I know I shouldn't do that.

I used to breathe through my mouth as well and my doctor tried talking me out of the nose pillows because of this. What I experienced was that I did not have any issue adjusting to breathing only through my nose. If you try breathing through your mouth you will basically choke, so even if you do it once or twice you just won't keep doing it, at least that was my experience. Try the nose pillows and see if those are better. Apparently they also sell chin straps that will keep you from opening your mouth, but I never had the need for that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They poke you with sharpened sticks about five minutes after you fall asleep. If you listen carefully you will hear them waiting out in the hall.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Sign me up with team nasal pillow. They are much more comfortable. I had to go with the chin strap. That's not bad at all.

Wrap your mind around the concept that you need the CPAP and are going to use it. No sugar coating... they suck and if I could get away without one, I would in a heart beat. That said, they are manageable and once you stop thinking about it you sleep without many problems. It does take time though.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just try to relax. I thought I would never fall asleep but eventually did. Just resign yourself to the fact that that it's going to be a boring night.

Reaction Score
Why is it at Homewood Suites and why hasn’t anyone asked? Is this normal?

We have sleep study rooms in medical buildings in my area.

Reaction Score
Why is it at Homewood Suites and why hasn’t anyone asked? Is this normal?

We have sleep study rooms in medical buildings in my area.
This is through Uconn and they use Homewood Suites instead of hospital space. Don't really know why. A good friend had a sleep study done at Uconn at the hospital and I'm glad I'm going to a hotel.
Most of the sleep studies in the area including mine are run by a private contractor and you could end up anywhere.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Hotel will generally be more comfortable but trying to sleep with all those wires is the most unnatural thing in the world. I thought I hardly slept but they got more than enough data.

Getting used to a CPAP might be the 2nd most unnatural thing in the world. It took a lot of concerted effort over a month to get used to it - I wanted to throw the damn thing out the window at first. At first I’d have it on 20 minutes... then 30... hour, 2 hours... etc until I not only got used to it, but I can’t sleep without it. The difference is VAST. I honestly think it’s life saving.

I’ve used a full face mask for 5 years and recently tried out a kind of nasal pillow/mouth contraption with a low profile... couldn’t get it to seal right and was fighting it all night, so I went back to the full face. I think if I got the next size up it would have some promise though...

Reaction Score
Running 5 miles, lifting weights, and a shot of scotch before bed may yield better results - for less $$.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
How many Migs do you guys shoot down per night, on average?

Reaction Score

I gave up and mine is collecting dust now. Some of my worst nights of sleep were spent trying to wear that piece of junk.

Reaction Score
This is through Uconn and they use Homewood Suites instead of hospital space. Don't really know why. A good friend had a sleep study done at Uconn at the hospital and I'm glad I'm going to a hotel.
Most of the sleep studies in the area including mine are run by a private contractor and you could end up anywhere.
Watch out for the sleep studies on the Berlin Turnpike

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Be sure to check that you still have two kidneys when you leave...

Or, for Dewie Crow, four kidneys. (Only Justified fans will get this, but it was a great line)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom