OT: Sleep study question | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sleep study question

Reaction Score
No heart attack but quintuple bypass surgery 2 1/2 years ago. Apparently 3 got clogged and had 1 stent put in a few weeks ago. It was the 2 cardiologists who told me I have severe apnea. They would only do 1 stent because the dye puts a strain on your kidneys and I have moderate kidney disease. Right now I'm short winded and have to have the other 2 done.
Good luck!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This isn't for the sleep study question as I've already had mine done, but I've been given an automatic CPAP machine to use at night. Suggestions on how long it takes to get used to it? I can't seem to wear it more than 4 hours and that has been best case scenario .

Thoughts?? Much appreciated .

I was used to it after a few days. A week at most. Make sure the fit is right and you are using the most comfortable mask you can. I went through at least ten masks before finding one I really like.

Reaction Score
I was used to it after a few days. A week at most. Make sure the fit is right and you are using the most comfortable mask you can. I went through at least ten masks before finding one I really like.
I’ve been using the same stuff (type of mask, etc) for almost 20 years. Of course it isn’t made anymore. Down to my last spare. Where do you get new masks? Any help appreciated.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure they are talking about apnea events. Translation: your throat closed choking you until you woke awoke up 134 times in 90 minutes.

Man up and get a CPAP, you will, eventually, be glad you did.
Because if I am in any position other than my back, which is least comfortable to begin with, I don't snore or stop breathing.

Reaction Score
I have the heated hose and I don't think I like it. I like cool air when breathing at night. Should I turn it off or keep it heated?
Do you get condensation when its off? I get waterboarded nightly.

Reaction Score
I have the heated hose and I don't think I like it. I like cool air when breathing at night. Should I turn it off or keep it heated?
Try heated hose but limit the water to lowest level. For some reason pure cold air blowing into my nose drys it out and irritates my nasal passage more than warm air. I do use the mist/water with it, but at lowest level which is #1. That way, the condensation is nominal, yet at a warm/moist air lubricates a bit making more comfortable for me. But I guess everyone has their preference. For me, I suffered more with the cold air until I got the heated hose and it made world of difference for me. I guess trying various setups is best remedy to find what works for each person

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's where you should have said "I'm Fishy"

Man, this works for me every time I need it.
Nah they would have made him go home and bathe.

CL82

Reaction Score
Because if I am in any position other than my back, which is least comfortable to begin with, I don't snore or stop breathing.
Are you sure about that? Then why even go? Just side sleep and be done.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Are you sure about that? Then why even go? Just side sleep and be done.
Pretty sure. At least that's what my wife says. I only snore (in any position) when I've had too much to drink. So I haven't gone yet, but I'm pretty sure I will at some point.

My FP was an exaggeration, of sorts, and that's my point. If the wires and monitors force me into an uncomfortable position in an uncomfortable environment where apnea is, more or less, a given, I'm going to have apnea.

I stomach sleep mostly so gravity take care of my tongue and airway. I don't know why it is most comfortable for me. but it has been for well over two decades. The worst was when I blew out my knee a forced to sleep on my back.

I realize am not exactly the rule and do not look down upon sleep devices in any way. It's far more a commentary on the process.

Reaction Score
The tech never put me on the damn machine because i didn't fit the protocall so i signed myself out at 4 AM.

Reaction Score
They’ll hook you up to sensors to monitor your breathing, O2 levels, etc. If they’re looking for sleep apnea, they want to know how many times you stop breathing at night. Its serious. It can kill you. I’ve been using a CPAP machine for 20 years. With oxygen added for the last 10.
My oxygen was in low 80's. Not good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I’ve been using the same stuff (type of mask, etc) for almost 20 years. Of course it isn’t made anymore. Down to my last spare. Where do you get new masks? Any help appreciated.

There are dozens of CPAP specific online stores. Mine used to be paid for by insurance, but my new plan doesn't cover the mark-up the health equipment provider adds so it is cheaper to buy online. My particular mask I order on Amazon actually. Need to get another today.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pretty sure. At least that's what my wife says. I only snore (in any position) when I've had too much to drink. So I haven't gone yet, but I'm pretty sure I will at some point.

My FP was an exaggeration, of sorts, and that's my point. If the wires and monitors force me into an uncomfortable position in an uncomfortable environment where apnea is, more or less, a given, I'm going to have apnea.

I stomach sleep mostly so gravity take care of my tongue and airway. I don't know why it is most comfortable for me. but it has been for well over two decades. The worst was when I blew out my knee a forced to sleep on my back.

I realize am not exactly the rule and do not look down upon sleep devices in any way. It's far more a commentary on the process.

Are you tired when you wake up? Do you get tired during the day, especially in a quite dim place? Or while watching TV or a movie? What is your neck size in a dress shirt? How is your blood pressure?

A decent sleep Doctor will evaluate you based on more than just the sleep study. Sadly, mine just passed away from cancer. My sleep study was also at home. I picked up the kit with instructions and was able to sleep in my own bed.

Drinking too much relaxes the muscles in your throat making it easier for your airway to close, and for you to snore.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Are you tired when you wake up? Do you get tired during the day, especially in a quite dim place? Or while watching TV or a movie? What is your neck size in a dress shirt? How is your blood pressure?

A decent sleep Doctor will evaluate you based on more than just the sleep study. Sadly, mine just passed away from cancer. My sleep study was also at home. I picked up the kit with instructions and was able to sleep in my own bed.

Drinking too much relaxes the muscles in your throat making it easier for your airway to close, and for you to snore.

The in Home tests collect far less data.

Husky25

Reaction Score
My doctor has been over this with me, but I'll tell you to tell you...

Are you tired when you wake up?

Not anymore. Bad habits contributed to this yugely earlier in my life (e.g. becoming far more sedentary and waking up hung over).

Do you get tired during the day, especially in a quite dim place?

No.

Or while watching TV or a movie?

No and no, unless it gets to 9:30-10:00PM (normal bedtime).

What is your neck size in a dress shirt?

I've worn a 17-34/35 and/or XL for 20+ years.

How is your blood pressure?

BP is "under control," but I am working (with my doctor) toward reducing the "help," with the loss of more weight, and further cutting other bad habits.

A decent sleep Doctor will evaluate you based on more than just the sleep study.

But so many don't, and that is what I was eluding to.

Ergo, I don't do it as/so often.

Reaction Score

A cardiologist also said my neck size was a factor. Those damn neck bridges in football practice.

CL82

Reaction Score
A cardiologist also said my neck size was a factor. Those damn neck bridges in football practice.
My cervical vertebrae are ram rod straight from neck bridges instead of the s-curve that you should have.

Reaction Score
They should be testing every lineman on the UCONN football team for sleep apnea because even though they are young every now and then it shows up. Remember Reggie White?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Chief don't need no sleep. Chiefin' ...it ain't easy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom