OT: Sergio vs Tiger | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sergio vs Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is racism? Especially when it comes from a guy from Europe who probably has no idea about this history.

Does being born in Europe and having a limited education about race relations in America make you an automatic racist?
Wow, why exactly do you think Sergio made that comment?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Yes.

He knew enough to use fried chicken as his "joke." It's not like he randomly picked a food out of thin air to reference.

See above.[/quote]

Well, you are operating with an assumption that Sergio knew the history and the historical American context of the suggested meal.

You are making an assumption that you know what was in his heart when he made the comments.

It must be nice to for you to be able to do that by just looking at a guy. See, now you are the racist (sarcasm).

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Wow, why exactly do you think Sergio made that comment?

I have no idea. None. I can't tell just by looking at them what was going through their mind, like you can.

Reaction Score
Well, you are operating with an assumption that Sergio knew the history and the historical American context of the suggested meal.

You are making an assumption that you know what was in his heart when he made the comments.

It must be nice to for you to be able to do that by just looking at a guy. See, now you are the racist (sarcasm).
"As soon as I left the dinner, I started getting a sick feeling in my body. I didn't really sleep at all. I felt like my heart was going to come out of my body. I've had this sick feeling all day. Difficult to hit a shot all day."

Sorry, that's not the reaction of someone who has no idea what he's said.

sdhusky

Reaction Score
"As soon as I left the dinner, I started getting a sick feeling in my body. I didn't really sleep at all. I felt like my heart was going to come out of my body. I've had this sick feeling all day. Difficult to hit a shot all day."

Sorry, that's not the reaction of someone who has no idea what he's said.

Or its a reaction of someone who is finding out that people like you are accusing him of being a racist.

Reaction Score
I have no idea. None. I can't tell just by looking at them what was going through their mind, like you can.
Yes he just randomly said, "We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken." He had no idea he was being offensive/racist with those remarks, he just as easily would have said we'll serve risotto with asparagus or beef wellington. He clearly knew nothing of any historical context of black people and fried chicken.

U

UCONNfan1

Yes he just randomly said, "We will have him round every night. We will serve fried chicken." He had no idea he was being offensive/racist with those remarks, he just as easily would have said we'll serve risotto with asparagus or beef wellington. He clearly knew nothing of any historical context of black people and fried chicken.
Absolutely! :confused: LOL...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If 'Fried Chicken' is the worse thing ever said to a Black Man in America I'd say we can breathe easy. I hear much worse being fat, overweight, and bald.

The intent in this case was obviously clear.

If Sergio was a Rapper he'd be a cross between Rico Suave and the post-Taylor Swift version of Kanye West with his drunken claims of racism while exploiting race on tracks like New Slaves and Black Skinhead.

Then again we ate talking about celebrities. I stand by one motto concerning celebs: Love the art, hate the artist.

Tiger, Sergio, Kanye--they are all artists and equally annoying as human beings. It just so happens that music, golf, and choking are different art forms. Each is a master of their own domain.

Reaction Score
Or its a reaction of someone who is finding out that people like you are accusing him of being a racist.
No no no no, Slur-gio said "As soon as I left the dinner". The report didn't start blowing up until later last night, well after the fact.

sdhusky

Reaction Score

Right.

And the new logo means the UCONN doesn't care if female students are raped. And Fox News is right, there IS a war on Christmas.

Reaction Score
No matter what he said and why, or how much the media is now ganging up, the folks who broadcast golf LOVE it. They cant wait for the US Open. Anyone care to guess what the incessant pre-tourney story line will be? And how about if the USGA pairs them up --or puts their tee times right after each other so they can show them together on the practice putting green. The ratings will soar!

sdhusky

Reaction Score
No matter what he said and why, or how much the media is now ganging up, the folks who broadcast golf LOVE it. They cant wait for the US Open. Anyone care to guess what the incessant pre-tourney story line will be? And how about if the USGA pairs them up --or puts their tee times right after each other so they can show them together on the practice putting green. The ratings will soar!

Bingo. They are using race to drive rating and interest. And the outrage patrol is out in full force.

I'm sure Tiger is more focused on his swing than something stupid Sergio said.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
If I was KFC I'd run with "No one knows chicken better than Tiger". Whatever they pay him they'd triple with the little kids toys bearing the slogan "Fight Racism" included with every meal.

Reaction Score
Some people think saying Asians are good at math is racist....

Sergio might be a racist, but you can't know from a joke about "Fried Chicken"

I can understand the assumption though, if this is what he says publicly he is probably worse in private.

Reaction Score
It was meant to be exactly what everyone thinks period.....any other opinion is wrong......call it racist or whatever he made a stupid statement and only because he wasn't big enough to say enough is enough, quit asking me about Tiger - that would've been the smart move but he's Sergio.........

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Sergio doesn't like him. Obviously. What we don't know is this: besides Zoeller is there more to the backstory?

Did Tiger lose some fast food franchises in the divorce via his management company? Some players own partnerships in a boatload of franchises.

Reaction Score
They are both a_holes. I never pull for either of them.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, there are some seriously naive (or in denial) individuals here if you really think Sergio didn't know what he was saying.

Is it the worst thing he could have said? No. Was it racist. Absolutely. It's similar to the guy who said Tiger was going to choose collared greens for his meal choice.

Reaction Score
What did Tiger make last tourney and what did Sergio make?

I love that Tiger shuts his ass up on the course and not in the media. Reminds me of Michael Jordan shutting up Reggie Miller on the court. Sergio now has a bigger problem, not that Tiger needed any incentive, but damn stupid of him.

I also see Tiger fans cheering when Tiger blinks his eyes, as Sergio is about to hit his ball.
I agree that Sergio (who I am not a fan of) didn't do himself any good with that idiotic remark but I don't know where you say Tiger keeps his mouth shut on the course. His profanity, his sarcasm and anger at anyone who so much as sneezes or whispers while he's contemplating a shot is ridiculous. I can't feature golfers or bowlers who play such a sterile game needing complete silence or their ability to perform is destroyed whereas in baseball which requires one thousand times more concentration, you sometimes have 50,000 fans yelling, swearing and carrying on while a pitcher is ready to throw you a spherical ball at anywhere from 60 to 105 mph from a variety of different angles with more hops and spins and breaks on the ball than you could ever imagine. If someone was even rolling a golf ball toward Tiger that he was expected to hit he'd lose his mind. I'm not suggesting that Tiger and all professional golfers aren't skilled but to demand that kind of silence in order to perform is downright stupid. If you can't focus on your task of hitting a dormant ball which you can strike at the time of your choosing when someone might be gabbing, then maybe you need to find another line of work. Tiger is an arrogant jerk with an awful lot of talent and I have never had any desire to watch anything he does though sometimes I'm forced to due to the medias fixation on him.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, there are some seriously naive (or in denial) individuals here if you really think Sergio didn't know what he was saying.

Is it the worst thing he could have said? No. Was it racist. Absolutely. It's similar to the guy who said Tiger was going to choose collared greens for his meal choice.

On the boneyard its to be expected, a poster once made a thread on here about how they didn't want to go into Hartford because there was too much ghetto trash and you had posters arguing on his behalf that he didn't necessarily mean minorities.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
On the boneyard its to be expected, a poster once made a thread on here about how they didn't want to go into Hartford because there was too much ghetto trash and you had posters arguing on his behalf that he didn't necessarily mean minorities.

Yup. But my new favorite is the guy who doesn't like going to Hartford because it's too difficult to navagate from the highway to XL parking and back. Another one says it's easier driving back and forth to Manhattan.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Did Sergio lose a 5 million dollar sponsorship from Taylor Made over this?

That's a lot of fried chicken.

Reaction Score
What the hell is going on in golf ? European Tour CEO George O'Grady made the comments in an interview with Sky Sports defending Sergio, claiming he 'has a lot of coloured friends'

Reaction Score
What the hell is going on in golf ? European Tour CEO George O'Grady made the comments in an interview with Sky Sports defending Sergio, claiming he 'has a lot of coloured friends'

It is golf, looking at the representation of the sport it is not suprising that there are alot of ignorant folks in the ranks. Didn't Tiger's ex-caddy say he wanted to shove something up Tiger's "black ass"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom