OT: Sergio vs Tiger | The Boneyard

OT: Sergio vs Tiger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9299934/sergio-garcia-makes-fried-chicken-remark-tiger-woods

I know many of you can't stand Tiger and I'm okay with that. But how can anyone be as blatantly stupid as Sergio as well as just the king of a**wipes? He is the Curt Schilling of golf, can't just let things go needs to keep opening that hole to let something out. Does he actually know that people care for him much less than Tiger or is he really that stupid?......."fried chicken" and I didn't mean it in a racial manner.......yeah okay Sergio explain it to us then lol...........

Reaction Score
What did Tiger make last tourney and what did Sergio make?

I love that Tiger shuts his ass up on the course and not in the media. Reminds me of Michael Jordan shutting up Reggie Miller on the court. Sergio now has a bigger problem, not that Tiger needed any incentive, but damn stupid of him.

I also see Tiger fans cheering when Tiger blinks his eyes, as Sergio is about to hit his ball.

Reaction Score
Funny that Sergio named about 3 guys he likes to play with.......they may be the only guys who like him!!;)

Reaction Score
I hope he doesn't have any US sponsors that he'd like to keep. I would imagine they're going to take issue with his comments. It's hard to believe that anyone is that stupid. It's one level of stupidity to think that way. It's a whole other level to let it out in front of reporters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do we have to take a side? Sergio is a chump but Tiger is a cheater and a liar and a poor sport with no class. No winners here.

Reaction Score
No need to take a side. Serg has effectively TKO'd himself. He's on TV right now apologizing. Kind of funny listening to him apologize while at the same time denying that it was a racist comment. If it's not a racist comment then why is he apologizing? He's been coached as all athletes are to apologize without admitting to anything. Alway s a fun dance to watch.

Reaction Score
Choker, whiner and a racist....Sergio is a true triple threat. You have to love the apology which is really a non apology, stay classy Sergio.

Reaction Score
Dude has made major $$ and gotten plenty of top talent (e.g., Martina Hingis) over the years, but he's a true azzclown.

Why have a spat with Tiger? Go have one with Westwood or something.

Choker, whiner and a racist....Sergio is a true triple threat. You have to love the apology which is really a non apology, stay classy Sergio.

Reaction Score
Curt Schilling is a racist? I'd say the better comparison is Sergio is the Mau of the Boneyard

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Who does Sergio think he is? Fuzzy Zoeller?

Reaction Score
Curt Schilling is a racist? I'd say the better comparison is Sergio is the Mau of the Boneyard

Not following you here? Was this to be funny, serious or just plain ignorant as it seems? Your choice........:rolleyes:

Or let me make it clear in case you're not up to speed - Curt doesn't know when to shut up, there's your comparison not because I thought Curt was a racist.......is that better for you?

Reaction Score
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/9299934/sergio-garcia-makes-fried-chicken-remark-tiger-woods

I know many of you can't stand Tiger and I'm okay with that. But how can anyone be as blatantly stupid as Sergio as well as just the king of a**wipes? He is the Curt Schilling of golf, can't just let things go needs to keep opening that hole to let something out. Does he actually know that people care for him much less than Tiger or is he really that stupid?......."fried chicken" and I didn't mean it in a racial manner.......yeah okay Sergio explain it to us then lol...........

I root for Tiger so am biased but Sergio is a jackas s (and loser).

He just further confirmed it with an off-the-charts dumb "joke".

Reaction Score
Many love Tiger and many dislike him. Sergio is probably the only golfer on tour that has just as many people who dislike him as Tiger does. The difference being that Sergio has nowhere near the amount of people who like him. Sergio isn't even 1/10th the golfer that Tiger is. I root for Tiger because I want to see accomplishments that I may never see again be achieved. I know that he isn't the nicest person, but Sergio is just an idiot. If you get your ass whooped then shut your mouth. Tiger didn't make him hit the ball in the water, Sergio choked all on his own and is just keeping this going.

Reaction Score
Regardless of what anyone thinks of Tiger personally, there's no defense for racism. If Slur-gio really wanted to atone for his remarks, how about he pledge his tournament winnings this week to the Tiger Woods Foundation. He said he couldn't sleep, was sick to his stomach, considered withdrawing this week, blah, blah. Actions speak louder.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
No need to take a side. Serg has effectively TKO'd himself. He's on TV right now apologizing. Kind of funny listening to him apologize while at the same time denying that it was a racist comment. If it's not a racist comment then why is he apologizing? He's been coached as all athletes are to apologize without admitting to anything. Alway s a fun dance to watch.

Doesn't it have to be negative to be racist?

If he joked about serving an italian some spaghetti or an irishman some beer or a englishman some fish and chips - would it have been a big deal?

Fried chicken is delicious and I certainly wouldn't be insulted if someone joked about serving it to me.

Reaction Score

If he joked about serving an italian some spighetti or an irishman some beer or a englishman some fish and chips - would it have been a big deal?

Fried chicken is delicious and I certainly wouldn't be insulted if someone joked about serving it to me.
Are you seriously asking this question?

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

If he joked about serving an italian some spighetti or an irishman some beer or a englishman some fish and chips - would it have been a big deal?

Hey sd...this topic was a big one in CT last year when police officers in West Haven were charged with being racially motivated against Hispanics. When asked what he would do for the latinos of West Haven the Mayor retorted, "Oh I don't know. I think I'll go home and have tacos tonight!" It was a classic! And it boiled up to a situation that had him against a wall for a while.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Do we have to take a side? Sergio is a chump but Tiger is a cheater and a liar and a poor sport with no class. No winners here.

Did Tiger cheat in golf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Are you seriously asking this question?

Yes.

Why is the suggestion that someone might like a particular type of food racist?

Don't forget, the word racist is an extremely strong word. It's one of the most damming things people can be called in this society.

Used wisely, it can be a powerful instrument of change. When its used trivially, it loses power.

Do I think this situation really calls for taking out the heavy guns? No.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hey sd...this topic was a big one in CT last year when police officers in West Haven were charged with being racially motivated against Hispanics. When asked what he would do for the latinos of West Haven the Mayor retorted, "Oh I don't know. I think I'll go home and have tacos tonight!" It was a classic! And it boiled up to a situation that had him against a wall for a while.

That was EAST Haven's mayor, not West Haven's.

Get some facts, and come back and see me. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes.

Why is the suggestion that someone might like a particular type of food racist?

Don't forget, the word racist is an extremely strong word. It's one of the most damming things people can be called in this society.

Used wisely, it can be a powerful instrument of change. When its used trivially, it loses power.

Do I think this situation really calls for taking out the heavy guns? No.
Because it's a stereotype that all blacks eat is fried chicken and watermelon. It goes back to slave times when all slaves were allowed to keep was chickens which they would kill and fry in a skillet. They used to have advertisements all over the south of cartoonish depictions of blacks and people in black face alongside a plate of fried chicken. I feel like many people today don't realize how prevalent racist depictions of blacks in advertising and other media was up until fairly recently. Maybe you are a black person and someone automatically saying you love fried chicken isn't racist to you, I'm a white guy and I find the assumption to be offensive as hell.

Reaction Score
Here is just one example of a restaurant chain that was found all over up until the late 50's. This type of thing used to be prevalent all over the place.

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 110

sdhusky

Reaction Score
Because it's a stereotype that all blacks eat is fried chicken and watermelon. It goes back to slave times when all slaves were allowed to keep was chickens which they would kill and fry in a skillet. They used to have advertisements all over the south of cartoonish depictions of blacks and people in black face alongside a plate of fried chicken. I feel like many people today don't realize how prevalent racist depictions of blacks in advertising and other media was up until fairly recently. Maybe you are a black person and someone automatically saying you love fried chicken isn't racist to you, I'm a white guy and I find the assumption to be offensive as hell.

This is racism? Especially when it comes from a guy from Europe who probably has no idea about this history.

Does being born in Europe and having a limited education about race relations in America make you an automatic racist?

Reaction Score
This is racism?
Yes.

Especially when it comes from a guy from Europe who probably has no idea about this history.
He knew enough to use fried chicken as his "joke." It's not like he randomly picked a food out of thin air to reference.

Does being born in Europe and having a limited education about race relations in America make you an automatic racist?
See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET