OT: Seeking Boneyard Wisdom On Home Remodel | The Boneyard

OT: Seeking Boneyard Wisdom On Home Remodel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I bought a house last spring. It is a ranch on a nice lot and I bought it with the intent of building it out. I have done something like this on smaller scale before. On this one I went out and hired an architect to draw up the plans. Nice guy, not too expensive. Running into a couple of problems with the project at this stage. Every time he has to redesign he physically redraws it. In my business everything is done on computer and is digital. I have now begun looking for someone who does CAD drawings 2d/3d using software because in my mind this should all be done on a computer.

Should I A: stay with current architect and hire 3d/2d design person
Should I B: change architects mid stream to someone who knows 2d/3d
Should I C: Have architect keep drawing and redrawing.

Reaction Score
There
Asking the Boneyard? Do you live in a van down by the river?
I have found helpful answers here. The answers are usually delivered as a sports fan thinks which translates very well for me. Lots of variance in boneyard audience and membership.

Reaction Score
I bought a house last spring. It is a ranch on a nice lot and I bought it with the intent of building it out. I have done something like this on smaller scale before. On this one I went out and hired an architect to draw up the plans. Nice guy, not too expensive. Running into a couple of problems with the project at this stage. Every time he has to redesign he physically redraws it. In my business everything is done on computer and is digital. I have now begun looking for someone who does CAD drawings 2d/3d using software because in my mind this should all be done on a computer.

Sorry, no advice, but I can't fathom an architect not using CAD in this day and age.

Reaction Score

I'm a structural engineer and work with architects ad nauseam and also work on a lot of home reno's. I've only seen one hand-drawing architect in the last 5 years and he was an old man who was friends with the client. Is he charging you for the re-draws? How far into the project are you? For a small project like this, revisions and autocad are quick and easy. Are his prices good, i.e. worth dealing with? Is your schedule suffering costing you more money? Can he not get around to making the changes quickly and making excuses? Even erasing in pencil is possible. You could find a third party drafter, but that might be harder to do. 3D autocad is absolutely not necessary. In less you're thinking in terms of elevations and sections on top of plans.

Reaction Score
I'm a structural engineer and work with architects ad nauseam and also work on a lot of home reno's. I've only seen one hand-drawing architect in the last 5 years and he was an old man who was friends with the client. Is he charging you for the re-draws? How far into the project are you? For a small project like this, revisions and autocad are quick and easy. Are his prices good, i.e. worth dealing with? Is your schedule suffering costing you more money? Can he not get around to making the changes quickly and making excuses? Even erasing in pencil is possible. You could find a third party drafter, but that might be harder to do. 3D autocad is absolutely not necessary. In less you're thinking in terms of elevations and sections on top of plans.

Ok. So correction. He is using some CAD program which appears to be a little older. Maybe he is just slow.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let the man do his job.

Reaction Score
Ok. So correction. He is using some CAD program which appears to be a little older. Maybe he is just slow.

My bet is he is stalling because he's busy. Telling you he has to completely redraw to buy more time. No offense to him, but when you have a lot of scheduled work going on and changes come up abruptly, its hard to fit it in. But yes, you should be getting it all done in CAD.

Reaction Score
My question is why so many design changes ? Are there basic problems to be addressed or is it change for change sake because you thought of something else to add. Basically, is it the architect, changes you requested or unforeseen problems you are running into. The design needs to be finalized as soon as possible, but if you foresee numerous design changes in the near future for whatever reason, go with option B -- a new architect.

Reaction Score
My question is why so many design changes ? Are there basic problems to be addressed or is it change for change sake because you thought of something else to add. Basically, is it the architect, changes you requested or unforeseen problems you are running into. The design needs to be finalized as soon as possible, but if you foresee numerous design changes in the near future for whatever reason, go with option B -- a new architect.

Option D: Hire Hugo!

Good point though, if the changes are the arch's fault he should be prompt and free of charge with the changes. If they're unforeseen conditions, the onus is on you. If there are a lot of late design changes by you he may be getting frustrated and stalling.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
At my job I deal with architects a lot. 2 are computer-phobes and they draw really well. I remember one of them had a client who kept making changes causing redraws. Usually done w/i 48 hours.

Go with your guy. Probably needs the biz.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I have a similar problem - trying to get an outdoor kitchen/balcony done and every time I make a change the guy has to buy more LEGOs to change the model.

Reaction Score
LOL at any architect that still hand draws plan. It's nice that he can, but a serious waste of time.

Reaction Score
When I first started in law, there were older guys who hand-wrote out 20 page patent applications. I'd have rather flayed the skin off my ass.

For this guy, I agree with Subba - is he getting the job done and done timely or not? Answer that before deciding. Switching mid-stream is usually costly, and you're going from a known to an unknown. Caution!

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I'm a designer/builder. I have learned and used many cad programs. Most of which are no longer supported. I know autocad but think it is an overpriced mess. I use sketchup ocassionly as well. So I am kind of between software.

But I also hand draw. On paper, on floors, on walls., on boards. Whatever it takes to convey ideas. And every client needs some different way of visualizing an end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom