OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
But wouldn't they have gotten those same cable boxes + a decent AD if they had taken UConn over Rutgers? That's what I don't get.

Not in NJ they wouldn't. People fail to realize it's the 11th largest state in the country in population. That's a lot of cable boxes.

Reaction Score
Not in NJ they wouldn't. People fail to realize it's the 11th largest state in the country in population. That's a lot of cable boxes.
Are you sure about that Nick? The Big Ten only gets the carriage fees from the said schools home state?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Are you sure about that Nick? The Big Ten only gets the carriage fees from the said schools home state?

The Big10 get higher carriage fees in states they have schools located in. Rutgers gives the Big10 the entire state of New Jersey (approximately 9.2 million people). Since they are actually in the NYC DMA, they get credit for that as well. The normal fee for a state with a Big10 school is around $1.00. The non Big10 state fee is around 10 cents. The BTN negotiated with the NYC cable providers so I'm not sure what they pay per subscriber. I believe it's less than $1.00, though.

Reaction Score
I live in NYC and will be sure to check with my cable company to see how we can get the BTN off our cable if it is more than 10 cents.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big10 get higher carriage fees in states they have schools located in. Rutgers gives the Big10 the entire state of New Jersey (approximately 9.2 million people). Since they are actually in the NYC DMA, they get credit for that as well. The normal fee for a state with a Big10 school is around $1.00. The non Big10 state fee is around 10 cents. The BTN negotiated with the NYC cable providers so I'm not sure what they pay per subscriber. I believe it's less than $1.00, though.
I think they could have gotten credit for the NY DMA with UConn as well. The difference is that 9M>>3M. Plus NJ give the B1G exposure in the Philly DMA as well. It was the right decision from the standpoint of maximizing revenue. From an athletic department perspective, UConn would have been the far better choice.

Reaction Score
I think they could have gotten credit for the NY DMA with UConn as well. The difference is that 9M>>3M. Plus NJ give the B1G exposure in the Philly DMA as well. It was the right decision from the standpoint of maximizing revenue. From an athletic department perspective, UConn would have been the far better choice.

You'll get no argument from most clear headed B1G Fans. We all know that Rutger, as we call them, was a giant money grab. Delany knew he was getting a major fixer upper but was willing to overlook it because of the benefits of owning real estate in that area. The last round was all about BTN Distribution, East Coast exposure, and recruiting. With the shifting of media consumption I hope a school like Uconn gets a long look based off of accomplishments and what they could deliver content wise in any future realignment scenario.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom