OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten | The Boneyard

OT - Rutgers and the Big Ten

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
One can hope right? Funny read - although unfortunately, satirical.

Especially if you create a mental caption for the lead photo and call the guy in the photo Al.
rutgers al.jpg

Reaction Score
We`d be in the same boat if we were in the B10. Our football program stinks!

The thing with Rutgers is that it's not just a football problem. Rutgers has an athletics problem and a winning problem.

The majority of their teams have finished in the bottom fourth of the standings in their respective sports since Rutgers joined the league. Wrestling is the notable exception. They're surprisingly good in a conference that's really good at wrestling. A Rutgers fan would probably trump up their women's basketball, but their history is largely...meh. They've had some highs, but they aren't on the UCONN, Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame level. Men's soccer had a decent season last year, but they're back to being winless this year. A number of their programs haven't made the NCAAs in several consecutive seasons.

Rutgers has only ever won 6 conference championships in its entire athletic history. Two of the recent expansion teams already surpassed that total in B1G championships alone.

Maryland - 9
Nebraska - 8
Johns Hopkins - 1
Rutgers - 0

Rutgers is generally pretty bad at sports.

Reaction Score
The thing with Rutgers is that it's not just a football problem. Rutgers has an athletics problem and a winning problem.

The majority of their teams have finished in the bottom fourth of the standings in their respective sports since Rutgers joined the league. Wrestling is the notable exception. They're surprisingly good in a conference that's really good at wrestling. A Rutgers fan would probably trump up their women's basketball, but their history is largely...meh. They've had some highs, but they aren't on the UCONN, Stanford, Maryland, Baylor, Notre Dame level. Men's soccer had a decent season last year, but they're back to being winless this year. A number of their programs haven't made the NCAAs in several consecutive seasons.

Rutgers has only ever won 6 conference championships in its entire athletic history. Two of the recent expansion teams already surpassed that total in B1G championships alone.

Maryland - 9
Nebraska - 8
Johns Hopkins - 1
Rutgers - 0

Rutgers' soccer programs are actually decent, which shoudl be no surprise considering how much soccer talent comes out of the state - Renya, Howard, etc. Their women lost in the NCAA semifinals to eventual champ Penn St last fall and their men's team was really good int he late '80's and early '90's and just had the misfortune of running into the machine that UVA was at the time in the NCAA playoffs several times.

What is surprising is the almost compete lack of success that Rutgers has had in basketball and football over the years. A coaching staff should have gotten lucky by now just based on statistics.

The big issue that Rutgers is facing now is that the school has made little to no capital investment into its athletic programs in years outside of the football stadium and its going to be hard for them even with B1G money to play catch-up.

Reaction Score
What they don't have is a location problem or a population problem. Let's face it, athletics is NOT why Rutgers was invited to the B1G.

Cable boxes, cable boxes, cable boxes...

I guess even if no one watches them...

Reaction Score

But wouldn't they have gotten those same cable boxes + a decent AD if they had taken UConn over Rutgers? That's what I don't get.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Going to nine conference games, Rutgers becomes that cupcake MAC school that Michigan would play. Instead playing WMU, EMU or Miami of Ohio very year, we get to play Rutgers.

dayooper

Reaction Score
But wouldn't they have gotten those same cable boxes + a decent AD if they had taken UConn over Rutgers? That's what I don't get.

Rutgers is located in the NYC DMA. UConn is not. Since they neither is in the same state as NYC, I think it was easier to get the higher sub fees being in the DMA. Thy are also AAU (Big10 presidents gave the OK for an AAU school to be added) and they were also contiguous wit the existing Big10.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Going to nine conference games, Rutgers becomes that cupcake MAC school that Michigan would play. Instead playing WMU, EMU or Miami of Ohio very year, we get to play Rutgers.

Yes and here lies the rub in a concentrated P5 or P4. I think there is a good chance the perrennial losers would become even more firmly entrenched.

Reaction Score

While it's easy to come here & ingratiate yourself to Boneyarders by trashing Rutgers, didn't they beat you?

Now you can tell me that was under Hoke & that Harbaugh is the god of all things Michigan but, when he leaves (which he will) you are one bad hire from losing to them again.

Why don't you stick to facts about CR and not put yourself on some pedestal because you beat up on a weak conference member. Ohio St fans think of you as their Rutgers

Reaction Score

...in front of a dozen or so 4 and 5 star recruits.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is located in the NYC DMA. UConn is not. Since they neither is in the same state as NYC, I think it was easier to get the higher sub fees being in the DMA. Thy are also AAU (Big10 presidents gave the OK for an AAU school to be added) and they were also contiguous wit the existing Big10.

Just to clarify, UConn is the university for the State of Connecticut, which includes Fairfield County and Fairfield County is officially part of the NYC DMA.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
change your avatar oop

IMG_4878.JPG

dayooper

Reaction Score
Just to clarify, UConn is the university for the State of Connecticut, which includes Fairfield County and Fairfield County is officially part of the NYC DMA.

You will never hear me say anything otherwise, but Rutgers is in the NYC DMA borders. Should it make difference? No, but I think it does.

dayooper

Reaction Score
change your avatar oop

View attachment 16150

This is the helmet I played under my last two years. I like it better.
Northern_Michigan_11.gif

If NMU was on TV more, I would most definitely watch them. I have been to a few games around my area (Saginaw Valley, Northwood and Grand Valley) but I will always be a Michigan fan. I have somany memories of watching games with my Grandfather. He earned his M.D. From Michigan back in the late '40's and the family would sit around and watch the games together. Since I was the oldest grandchild, I got to spend a lot of time with him.

I was admitted to UM, but choose to try to play college ball. Never looked back and am very happy with my decision.

dayooper

Reaction Score
While it's easy to come here & ingratiate yourself to Boneyarders by trashing Rutgers, didn't they beat you?

So did Toledo and Appy State. Your point being? You see, I don't have to ingratiate myself to Boneyarders, I could care less if you all like me or not, I am who I am. I don't post what I post to get the people here to like me. If you think I do then you can kiss my fat, white, hairy &$$.

I have defended Rutgers on here many times, but they are what they are: a subpar program way in over their heads in the Big10 East. Can they get better? Absolutely! Will they? History really doesn't think so. The biggest issue they will face is keeping a coach worth keeping.

Now you can tell me that was under Hoke & that Harbaugh is the god of all things Michigan but, when he leaves (which he will) you are one bad hire from losing to them again.

He very well may leave, and we will lose to them again, maybe even under Harbaugh. That being said, it's sure easier for a traditional power to find and keep a coach than a team like Rutgers. As long as we have a capable AD (our previous one was horrible), the chances of Michigan hiring and keeping a good coach are decent.

Why don't you stick to facts about CR and not put yourself on some pedestal because you beat up on a weak conference member. Ohio St fans think of you as their Rutgers

When the hell did I put myself or even Michigan up on a pedestal? I haven't boasted about how great a program Michigan is or how I think we are the greatest team ever. The matter of fact is that Rutgers has a 4-15 record in Big10 play (three of those were in 2014). During that same time, perennial cellar dwellers Indiana and Purdue have won the same amount, yet neither have been shut out in conference play either.

What ever some random Michigan fan did to you, I have no control over. There are jack&$$es in every fanbase and Michigan has their share. If you think I'm one, go right ahead and think so, I don't give a flying fart if you like me or not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dayooper, I'm pretty sure that was a Rutty fan.

I personally find it quite humorous that he is trying to equate a football program that had a handful of decent seasons to one of the handful of best programs ever.

Reaction Score
Don't have a particular dog in this fight, but Michigan and Texas could probably have a good debate over the most valuable AD and football program in the US. Rutgers is on the opposite end of the spectrum. Everyone else is in the middle somewhere. The difference between UM and RU is a lot more than just Harbaugh.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This is the helmet I played under my last two years. I like it better.
Northern_Michigan_11.gif

If NMU was on TV more, I would most definitely watch them. I have been to a few games around my area (Saginaw Valley, Northwood and Grand Valley) but I will always be a Michigan fan. I have somany memories of watching games with my Grandfather. He earned his M.D. From Michigan back in the late '40's and the family would sit around and watch the games together. Since I was the oldest grandchild, I got to spend a lot of time with him.

I was admitted to UM, but choose to try to play college ball. Never looked back and am very happy with my decision.

great story, sounds like you have a great fam.
good to know the directional Michigans have a Northern to accompany Central Eastern and Western. Chips, Eagles, and Broncs I believe.

Reaction Score

Maryland - 9
Nebraska - 8
Johns Hopkins - 1
Rutgers - 0

So your point seems to be that sure Uconn Football stinks but overall our athletic program is light years ahead of Rutgers so we`d of been a better choice overall. I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom