OT - Roscoe to enter the NBA draft | The Boneyard

OT - Roscoe to enter the NBA draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 47m
UNLV announces forward Roscoe Smith will enter the NBA Draft.

I wish him the best of luck. He was always a great kid/teammate, and he made a decision that I'm guessing he regrets. His NBA prospects don't seem promising, but it's possible he could find a niche somewhere. I know some people are still bitter that he left, but I'll always consider him a Husky.

Reaction Score
Wish him the best of luck also. Helped us win a national championship, can never be bitter about a player that does that here

Reaction Score
Roscoe was my favorite Husky as a freshman. I loved his grit and hustle and especially the black eye he rocked during the 2011 tournament.

I feel bad for him as much as I can feel bad for a 23 year old who will be making 6 figures somewhere next year. He may or may not have been used well his sophomore year - that debate can be left for another time - but Rice definitely duck__ed him by telling him he would play the 3. From my understanding, this was one of the key factors in his transferring.

I think Roscoe wishes he was still a Husky after the way everything turned out but who knows and best of luck to him in the future.

Reaction Score
closest comparison I can think of is Andre Roberson, who was a PF in a SF body with superior rebounding ability, but he showed a bit more(not alot by any means) in regards to ball skills than Roscoe, who didn't show much in the UNLV games I watched. I was shocked at how little he shot the ball from the perimeter and where he got to operate with the ball in their offense given the media said he transferred because he wanted to play SF.

Reaction Score
Good luck to the kid. Hopefully he can hit the corner three, rebound and defend. Poor man's Kawhi Leonard at the NBA level, but forever a champion in college.

Reaction Score
Roscoe had a great year from a rebounding standpoint. However, I am surprised he declared for the draft. His team didn't even make the NIT tourney, so he didn't even have a postseason to showcase his rebounding and defense. I wish him well. In retrospect, transferring may not gave been a great idea, but I can't knock a kid for doing something that he believed was best for him.

Reaction Score
UNLV has a ton of talent coming in next year, and he kind of got ed around this season by Dave Rice. I wonder if part of the reason he declared was because he was worried about getting his minutes taken.

Reaction Score
Best of luck.. can we have an end of these threads

Reaction Score
This NBA Draft was supposed to be great, but it's turned into a draft of major question marks. Most of the early entry list reads of second round choices so far. Most of the potential top lottery picks haven't declared (minus Wiggins & Vonleh). There's only so many First round picks & most of the early entries are not worthy of a First round pick, thus far. I get the feeling Embid & Parker might stay another year too. Tough year to be a GM. You don't really know what you'll get. TBD....

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
UNLV has a ton of talent coming in next year, and he kind of got ed around this season by Dave Rice. I wonder if part of the reason he declared was because he was worried about getting his minutes taken.
Usually you have some interesting takes on stuff but this is just such an odd thought. He wants to try out for the NBA because he doesn't want to lose minutes to talented freshmen in college? If he's worried about losing minutes at UNLV, the NBA doesn't sound like a better option.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
No hard feelings towards 'scoe

Tough choice, we had loved him

But he felt he had to go

Proof positive that when you abandon the Huskies

All you get is some yellow snow

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Best of luck to him. I hope he finds a way to make it to the NBA and have a long career.

Reaction Score
Usually you have some interesting takes on stuff but this is just such an odd thought. He wants to try out for the NBA because he doesn't want to lose minutes to talented freshmen in college? If he's worried about losing minutes at UNLV, the NBA doesn't sound like a better option.

Maybe I worded that wrong. I don't think Roscoe is entering the draft because he's worried about being outplayed by the incoming freshman, I think he's entering the draft because Dave Rice is a disaster and there's no telling how irrational his rotations will be, especially with some new toys coming in.

If you think Roscoe got mistreated in his last year here, you would have been appalled by some of Rice's shenanigans. When the third leading rebounder in the nation is playing less than 30 minutes a game, there's a problem.

Reaction Score

it makes sense to me, he's not saying that the freshmen will be better, but they could affect playing time. Its the same situation with Archie Goodwin last year with UK, the common belief was that he went pro instead of having to deal with the competition with the Harrison twins and James Young.

Reaction Score
I think he's entering the draft because Dave Rice is a disaster and there's no telling how irrational his rotations will be, especially with some new toys coming in.
This is right.
From Roscoe's perspective, his career has gone like this . . .

1. Great year. NChamps.
2. Get caught up in the AO/AD fiasco and get burned by a coach with a sticky doghouse. Lose a year of development.
3. Lose a year transferring to get out of a bad situation and avoid a dead tourni year. Lose a year of development.
4. Play for a nutty coach who doesn't appreciate what he brings, lose part of a year of development.

Screw it - I'll go play in the D-league. I can develop there, if at all, and another year in the UNLV cesspool is not going to change my chances.

Good choice if you ask me. Quit dicking around and go for it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
'Scoe has a shot. The way the NBA is played now, he is definitely more of a 4 than a 3. Something Calhoun was very right about. The lineup that saw the majority of minutes in 2010-2011, Kemba-Bazz-Lamb-'Scoe-Oriakhi is exactly what most team are turning to. Only one true big man. It's been this way his whole career, but the guy needs to get in the gym and work on his jumper all day basically. If it becomes serviceable, he's definitely good enough to be a tough guy/defender off the bench for many teams. Elite rebounding skill usually translate, lockdown defending does too, and the length and vertical ability of a guy like him is always welcome.

As someone who reps both UCONN and West Baltimore pretty hard, I'm biased, but hope he can make it.

Mbah a Moute=possible comp?

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Screw him. He deserved what he got, hope he's enjoying watching Uconn make our final 4 run without him. Left our program when we needed players most, just like AO. Can't wish him well.

Reaction Score
Hope I'm wrong for Roscoe but NO shot……..can't handle, can't pass, shot 20% from 3 and isn't 6'8"…..nice year at UNLV and 10.9 boards is really nice but his inner-Rodman won't work on the next level.

Could have went wore-to-wire with Bazz but elected not to…….only care about OURS and where they end up!!

Reaction Score
West side b1tches ain't .

So much for him transferring back here;)

C

Chief00

I liked Roscoe, but quite frankly from a coach's perspective his decision making was surreal. I remember Roscoe messing up and JC asking him as he was coming over for the timeout - WTF did you do that for?
Having said that we could have used Roscoe's rebounding - he could have been our top rebounder this year - instead this?

Will he have to take a pay cut to the NBA minimum from UNLV? Ha Ha

Reaction Score
If he had graduated would he get a free transfer to a better situation for his last year of eligibility or can you not do that if you've already transferred once?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom