Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Someday, Roscoe will look back and say, "I should have stayed at UConn."

caw

Reaction Score
Yeah, he has. Not often, but winnings games comes first.

Well OK, he definitely gifted Napier and Lamb PT last year while Boatright was sitting. Who were they going to play? Allen?

I'm just kind of kidding about them, but I do concede he has made exceptions, very rarely. I can't think of the last freshman that was gifted playing time.

When I made the remark about not gifting PT, it was more about Daniels getting it than Roscoe not.

Here are some of the players that didn't start a lot or at all as freshmen: Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Charlie Villanueva, Jeff Adrien, Kemba Walker.

Let me further say, I loved Roscoe when he was here and wish he had stayed. I still wish him the best and will root for him regardless of where he plays (not so with Alex, mainly because of papa Oriakhi). Roscoe also had some classroom issues that caused him to ride the pine a bit. I think Roscoe did a great job of getting out of his funk and competing, but him not playing early is on him more than Calhoun. I'm sure Roscoe and people close to him disagree and that's fine.

Sidenote: You know who one of my favorite players all time was: Rash Jones. Sadly a player like Rash would probably transfer nowadays than take the hit to PT like Rash did.

Reaction Score
I heard from multiple people around the team every day that it all came down to his position - Roscoe thought of himself as a 3 (which, in fairness, is what he'd need to be to play in the NBA), while Calhoun (and everyone else) thought his best fit was at the 4.

I'll always appreciate Roscoe's play and effort during the championship run, but good riddance to someone who was that concerned over his position. And in truth, he was terrible (offensively) at SF.

Reaction Score
Well OK, he definitely gifted Napier and Lamb PT last year while Boatright was sitting. Who were they going to play? Allen?

I'm just kind of kidding about them, but I do concede he has made exceptions, very rarely. I can't think of the last freshman that was gifted playing time.

When I made the remark about not gifting PT, it was more about Daniels getting it than Roscoe not.

Here are some of the players that didn't start a lot or at all as freshmen: Ray Allen, Ben Gordon, Jeremy Lamb, Shabazz Napier, Charlie Villanueva, Jeff Adrien, Kemba Walker.

Let me further say, I loved Roscoe when he was here and wish he had stayed. I still wish him the best and will root for him regardless of where he plays (not so with Alex, mainly because of papa Oriakhi). Roscoe also had some classroom issues that caused him to ride the pine a bit. I think Roscoe did a great job of getting out of his funk and competing, but him not playing early is on him more than Calhoun. I'm sure Roscoe and people close to him disagree and that's fine.

Sidenote: You know who one of my favorite players all time was: Rash Jones. Sadly a player like Rash would probably transfer nowadays than take the hit to PT like Rash did.

I think with all the recent academic issues UConn had been through, Roscoe's skipping class before the season started was not well received by the coaching staff. I think a lot of people overlook this. I liked Roscoe a lot, but there may have been more behind the scenes stuff that we are all unaware of.
Throw in the fact that he didn't improve from his freshman year, and two stud recruits came in, and I think it's easier to see why things didn't get off to a good start for him last year...
Roscoe was a high energy, good defender type. Daniels has more upside. I will miss Roscoe and wish him the best. I think he needs to work harder on his shooting and ball handling so he can play the three. He could have done that at UConn. Hopefully he does at UNLV.

Reaction Score

Rash sacrificed playing time for the betterment of his team. How refreshing.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I heard from multiple people around the team every day that it all came down to his position - Roscoe thought of himself as a 3 (which, in fairness, is what he'd need to be to play in the NBA), while Calhoun (and everyone else) thought his best fit was at the 4.

I'll always appreciate Roscoe's play and effort during the championship run, but good riddance to someone who was that concerned over his position. And in truth, he was terrible (offensively) at SF.

Good riddance? Pretty nasty sentiment there. Of course he was interested in his own future and prospects, just like Kevin Freeman. I wish him well. He is not as talented as he hoped or possibly as he was led to believe. Not an easy pill to swallow for any kid his age.

Reaction Score
Uh, not really. I don't have any ill will toward Roscoe and will always appreciate his contributions (in my eyes, the unsung hero of that 2010-11 team) during the team's championship run.

But I'm just not going to be that upset about losing someone who transfers over an issue as petty as what position he's playing.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Think you have to take Lamb off the list - he started 40 of 41 games and averaged 27.8 min/game. He started more games that year than anyone not named Kemba.

On a side note - holy crap - 41 games that year. I'm guessing a team has never played 41 games before or probably will until they increase pre season tourny or regular season allowed games.

Reaction Score
It's going to be tough for me to decide whether or not to root for Oriakhi next year. On one hand, he seems like a great kid (granted, immature at times) who excelled in the classroom and played a huge role in bringing home our third National Championship. That alone should make him easy to root for, but then you have to consider the possibility of Alex Sr. flaunting his success around, continuing to rip Calhoun, etc. It would also make it easy for opposing coaches to use Oriakhi as ammo for negative recruiting in the future.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's going to be tough for me to decide whether or not to root for Oriakhi next year. On one hand, he seems like a great kid (granted, immature at times) who excelled in the classroom and played a huge role in bringing home our third National Championship. That alone should make him easy to root for, but then you have to consider the possibility of Alex Sr. flaunting his success around, continuing to rip Calhoun, etc. It would also make it easy for opposing coaches to use Oriakhi as ammo for negative recruiting in the future.
Nope - this one ain't difficult. While it's been great to win multiple national championships after a time when getting to a final 8 was a pipe dream, there has never been anything bigger in the program than being part of the program. Being a Husky. Living and dying with the team. The veterans coming back for the alumni game. Stats like the most pros in the league. Stats like having the most top 10 draftees over the last 7 or 10 years or whatever it is. Being loyal to the Coach that makes you achieve all those things above. I can understand why he did it - why he left, but a post season ban wouldn't have affected his draft status one way or another if he stayed and played like a beast. Hell, he could have red shirted for no other reason to actually get drafted cause there's a decent chance he wont be. He can flame out and never be heard from again as far as I'm concerned. But thanks for helping get the third - glad you were there for that on the same level I'm glad Chuck was here for that, but no more than that.

Reaction Score

Jeremy Lamb started almost every game as a freshman.

Reaction Score
Calhoun has never gifted PT. Have to work in practice.
Calhoun (or how someone else put it "The Stubborn Irish Bastard") has started players right away freshmen year. If i remember correctly JC started Jerome Dyson right away game 1. He didn't earn it he just got to start and play so i don't believe that at all.

Reaction Score
Calhoun (or how someone else put it "The Stubborn Irish Bastard") has started players right away freshmen year. If i remember correctly JC started Jerome Dyson right away game 1. He didn't earn it he just got to start and play so i don't believe that at all.

Who would have started over Dyson? They were all freshmen.

caw

Reaction Score
Think you have to take Lamb off the list - he started 40 of 41 games and averaged 27.8 min/game. He started more games that year than anyone not named Kemba.

On a side note - holy crap - 41 games that year. I'm guessing a team has never played 41 games before or probably will until they increase pre season tourny or regular season allowed games.

Jeremy Lamb started almost every game as a freshman.

Yeah, got it:( . Doesn't really change the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom