OT - Ronda Rousey KO'd in the first | The Boneyard

OT - Ronda Rousey KO'd in the first

Reaction Score
This was admittedly the only outcome that would have caused me to take any interest in the fight, but wow, this is a lot after all she had to come back from. She's about to become a punchline - no pun intended - on Twitter and I truly hope she's able to handle it.

Reaction Score
Punchers have her number she cannot go toe-to-toe with them

Reaction Score
This was admittedly the only outcome that would have caused me to take any interest in the fight, but wow, this is a lot after all she had to come back from. She's about to become a punchline - no pun intended - on Twitter and I truly hope she's able to handle it.
Good, can't stand her.

Reaction Score
I forget who, but somebody on this board (maybe a few people) called her a fraud. They certainly look correct now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Once she got beat she was shattered.

Not sure why anyone would hate her she doesn't seem like a bad person.

Reaction Score

She has openly discussed feeling suicidal after her first defeat. So yea, I feel the same way.

Reaction Score
One trick pony. So obvious she couldn't handle any chick with real skills. Just took a while before it caught up to her and she got exposed. She's done.

Reaction Score
Not Rhonda's fault she was ahead of her time. The fighter pool in her division was awful when she was dominating. Now there are more skilled fighters and she can't keep up

Reaction Score
Once she got beat she was shattered.

Not sure why anyone would hate her she doesn't seem like a bad person.
Because she was overly hyped and bought into her hype like nobody I've ever seen. She basically just never shut up, saying she could beat anyone in the world while everyone knew she wanted no piece of Cyborg. Calling out Mayweather. Found everything about her overrated and just way too much exposure.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because she was overly hyped and bought into her hype like nobody I've ever seen. She basically just never shut up, saying she could beat anyone in the world while everyone knew she wanted no piece of Cyborg. Calling out Mayweather. Found everything about her overrated and just way too much exposure.

She is just insecure.

I can understand how the media coverage is a negative for many. She isn't exactly a victim of that but they did leverage her for publicity.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Is it boxing or MMA. Did she get out MMA'ed or out boxed. Just asking.

Reaction Score

Honestly, I felt the same way prior to her first loss. She rubbed me the wrong way (in the limited ways I saw her presented by the media - I'm not as especially active follower of the sport). The Mayweather talk irked me and I was happy to see her "put in her place." But after reading about her struggles post loss, she became a more sympathetic figure in my eyes. She has gotta be crushed but I can understand your thoughts as well. Its a lot higher fall when you have a brash/ultra cocky/sh!!t talking public persona. And then you meet reality. I just imagine it being immensely difficult to avoid getting caught up in your own hype when its lavished upon you.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I felt the same way prior to her first loss. She rubbed me the wrong way (in the limited ways I saw her presented by the media - I'm not as especially active follower of the sport). The Mayweather talk irked me and I was happy to see her "put in her place." But after reading about her struggles post loss, she became a more sympathetic figure in my eyes. She has gotta be crushed but I can understand your thoughts as well. Its a lot higher fall when you have a brash/ultra cocky/sh!!t talking public persona. And then you meet reality. I just imagine it being immensely difficult to avoid getting caught up in your own hype when its lavished upon you.

This is pretty much the camp I'm in.

Reaction Score
I never listened to a word from her in the past year, sounds like she was humbled big time after the last time she was destroyed. I'm no Mayweather fan but her saying she could beat him up was so devoid of reality and I really thing she believed she could. It would be like Maria Conlon being fully convinced she could beat Ray Allen in a game of 1 on 1. Never seen someone let hype get to their head that much.

Reaction Score
She has an olympic medal in judo and her jujitsu armbars are sick but she has subpar standup skills and now that the womens division is evolving like the mens did years ago, more well rounded fighters that can keep the fight standing give her trouble. Hardly a fraud but she has a hole in her game that is now being exposed by the new breed of female fighters. I would compare her to someone like Matt Hughes who dominated for years with his grappling until GSP and his ilk matured enough with a more well rounded, athletic style and put him out to pasture. She was great for her time but her time is probably up, at least against the new competent strikers that can defend a takedown or judo throw. As far as Mayweather goes, doesn't he hit women? Hard to defend him in a stupid war of words if that is the case regardless of how you feel about Rousey.

Reaction Score
She has an olympic medal in judo and her jujitsu armbars are sick but she has subpar standup skills and now that the womens division is evolving like the mens did years ago, more well rounded fighters that can keep the fight standing give her trouble. Hardly a fraud but she has a hole in her game that is now being exposed by the new breed of female fighters. I would compare her to someone like Matt Hughes who dominated for years with his grappling until GSP and his ilk matured enough with a more well rounded, athletic style and put him out to pasture. She was great for her time but her time is probably up, at least against the new competent strikers that can defend a takedown or judo throw. As far as Mayweather goes, doesn't he hit women? Hard to defend him in a stupid war of words if that is the case regardless of how you feel about Rousey.
What does Mayweather's personal life have to do with Rousey saying she could beat him in a fight and some people actually believing it? Aaron Hernandez murdered people, it doesn't make me a better football player than him. . . . . . .As for Rousey, she was done after her last fight and this was just the final public humiliation. Should blame Dana White and her coach. She had no business being in the ring with Nunes and no business fighting that style against someone who actually knows how to box. Rousey is clueless on her feet, no head movement and once she gets tagged she keeps getting tagged.

Reaction Score
Her war of words with Mayweather were a lot more than just saying she could beat him up. It had to do with his treatment of women in which she was spot on. That is what I was referring to. Nobody in their right mind thinks she could beat up Floyd including Rhonda Im sure. Im guessing it was more of a statement of anger and disgust on her part on behalf of women but whatever.

The game has certainly passed Rousey bye but all the greats in MMA eventually get worked. It is the nature of the sport. Silva, GSP, Fedor...they all eventually lose and it is never pretty when they do. Hell Randy Couture lost a bunch. The young fighters are evolving and as the sport has grown there is now a worlwide talent pool. I am no Rousey apologist, but just because she is getting her handed to her now does not mean she is/was a fraud. She was the best for a while against the competition that was out there. That is something and probably more than any of us can say. As far as Cyborg goes, she is an animal but she gets busted for PED's at every turn and she never even attempted to make weight for Rouseys division. If they ever fought she would have taken Rousey's head off.

Reaction Score
Her war of words with Mayweather had nothing to do with women. She started it to promote her brand, which basically admitted. She became a sensation and lost her edge. It happens.

I must say, she has the worst trainers in the world.

Reaction Score
Not only did she but into her own hype others did too. I had kids telling me that she could beat Mike Tyson in his dominant days. I'd tell them she couldn't be Mike Tyson today! And they'd actually try to really debate me. She believed her own hype and so did 90% of her fans. Most annoying and unrealistic thing I think I have ever witnessed in the sporting world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
She joins a long list of male MMA stars who were elite in one area and never adapted to an evolving sport. Hughes is a good example.

It's not just MMA. Pitchers with blistering fastballs that never learn offspeed pitches, guards who don't develop J's, etc.

As for the hype and hyperbole, to me it says more about the believer than the sales pitch.

Enjoy retirement. She's made well in excess of $20m.

Reaction Score
She should have listened to her mom and parted ways with her coach. No way she should have gone in there and try to exchange with Nunes after what Nunes did to Tate.

She should have worked on shooting some for her legs and taking her off her feet with something other than Judo throws where she would have to walk through an onslaught of punches. 48 seconds. It was pathetic. I don't think she landed a single shot last night. She got paid 3 million and her opponent 100k, but just like that her days as a PPV super star are over.

Reaction Score
She joins a long list of male MMA stars who were elite in one area and never adapted to an evolving sport. Hughes is a good example.

Royce Gracie is another example. Early on, no one could figure how to stay on their feet against him, and he was untouchable once he got them on the ground. Eventually, more well rounded fighters came along with the skills to handle him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom