OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Did he write that or did Ronnie Wood?

I never cared for just about anything he wrote after 1975 or so. But, I suppose that's just personal preference.

I mean His heyday was early 70's it was fleeting but between his two early Albums (Gasoline Alley and Every picture tells a Story) and the 3 faces Albums there was no better front man in Rock. I actually find redeeming stuff all the way up to the "Foot Loose and Fancy Free" album in '77. That album foreshadowed the schlock to come, but there is still some old spark in there too. So youre cut off is not far off.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Chad Kroeger of Nickelback
I really don't like Nickelback.
But I have to say, he really does have a good voice. It just doesn't fit the style of music that they make at all or the lyrics that sound like they were written by a high schooler.
Although he and the rest of Nickelback have just turned into a meme now.

Reaction Score
I mean His heyday was early 70's it was fleeting but between his two early Albums (Gasoline Album and Every picture tells a Story) and the 3 faces Albums there was no better front man in Rock. I actually find redeeming stuff all the way up to the "Foot Loose and Fancy Free" album in '77. That album foreshadowed the schlock to come, but there is still some old spark in there too. So youre cut off is not far off.

Agreed. Of course, Maggie May was released in 71, and may have been a better foreshadowing of the pile of schlock that he eventually produced . . .

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
All you misogynists :)rolleyes:) keep leaving out the exceptional female singers:
Grace Slick (Somebody to Love anyone?)
Ann Wilson (Everyone likes Barracuda, but I think Mistral Wind was her best)
Aretha Franklin (not really Rock and Roll, but she is in the Hall of Fame)
Yeah I don't understand why women were excluded from the OP.
But Joplin and Nicks deserve to be in the conversation.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I mean His heyday was early 70's it was fleeting but between his two early Albums (Gasoline Alley and Every picture tells a Story) and the 3 faces Albums there was no better front man in Rock. I actually find redeeming stuff all the way up to the "Foot Loose and Fancy Free" album in '77. That album foreshadowed the schlock to come, but there is still some old spark in there too. So youre cut off is not far off.
"Oh la la" and "Every Picture Tells a Story" are on my running/exercise playlist and the latter came on during last night's run. Every time I hear it through headphones I'm compelled by the drumming in that song. So powerful and commanding. But the vocal is so great, too. After hearing it last night I fished out the vinyl when I got home and gave it to my middle daughter, who has inherited much of my taste in music, as well as an increasing number of my albums (90 as of yesterday, she tells me) for her use on the turntable we got her a couple years ago. And in the process of course I lectured her and the rest of the family on the greatness of Rod Stewart's early work with Faces and his early solo stuff.

August_West

Reaction Score
"Oh la la" and "Every Picture Tells a Story" are on my running/exercise playlist and the latter came on during last night's run. Every time I hear it through headphones I'm compelled by the drumming in that song. So powerful and commanding. But the vocal is so great, too. After hearing it last night I fished out the vinyl when I got home and gave it to my middle daughter, who has inherited much of my taste in music, as well as an increasing number of my albums (90 as of yesterday, she tells me) for her use on the turntable we got her a couple years ago. And in the process of course I lectured her and the rest of the family on the greatness of Rod Stewart's early work with Faces and his early solo stuff.

The Drumming and the vocal in every picture are both SO great. That song just chugs along. Next time you are listening on good cans, you will here my favorite parts about that fantastic song.

Its SO sloppy! There are guys yelling in the studio that you can still hear on the recording if you listen closely. There are guitar parts that are mistakes that appear here and there, and at the end the whole beat of the song is turned around unintentionally and it WORKS so great. The warts make the song so authentic.

Reaction Score
ok, thought of a few more:

Levon Helm
Robert Smith
Richard Butler

Reaction Score
If you were a teen when that song came out you gotta love it. It brings back some many memories. Not as good as "if you think I'm sexy" but...:rolleyes:

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
. Always thought Terry Kath had one of the coolest and most soulful voices, what a talent. Gregg Allman and Wilson Pickett also come to mind.

One of my all time favorite songs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Drumming and the vocal in every picture are both SO great. That song just chugs along. Next time you are listening on good cans, you will here my favorite parts about that fantastic song.

Its SO sloppy! There are guys yelling in the studio that you can still hear on the recording if you listen closely. There are guitar parts that are mistakes that appear here and there, and at the end the whole beat of the song is turned around unintentionally and it WORKS so great. The warts make the song so authentic.
Yes, the ramshackle sloppiness is definitely part of the attraction. And the drumming is so unorthodox, at least to my ears, but I can't resist air drumming the crap out of it--and singing several parts at the top of my lungs. It definitely picks up my pace, which is the whole reason I put it on the playlist. It never disappoints.

Also, some dated political incorrectness that wouldn't fly these days. "Slant-eyed lady," "Shanghai Lil."

Somewhat related, but I'm reminded of a similar phenomenon when I am lucky enough to catch Brian's Song, a movie I loved, and see the very liberal use of the "n-word." Great scene in the movie about it:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know, it just seems weird to exclude women and one of the best voices ever in rock.

Because it is really hard to compare like to like. Ann Wilson can out sing any of these guys in many ways. So can Pat Benatar.

August_West

Reaction Score
ok, thought of a few more:

Levon Helm
Robert Smith
Richard Butler

Fantastic call on Levon a wonderful singer.
. Always thought Terry Kath had one of the coolest and most soulful voices, what a talent. Gregg Allman and Wilson Pickett also come to mind.

Terry Kath had to be an Alien. His guitar playing is mind blowing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fantastic call on Levon a wonderful singer.

Terry Kath had to be an Alien. His guitar playing is mind blowing.

Levon sang as if from a different time, and did it while playing drums, which I personally find amazing (yes I know Phil Collins did it too). He could really transport you back to the 1860's. Robertson was good too and Danko so unusual.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah Levon was a treasure. And a great, gracious man. Seeing shows at his barn remains among the top musical experiences of my life, and his voice just brings an instant sense of warmth and place.

And I'll never, ever get how someone can sing and drum at the same time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom