OT: River Monsters goes out to sea. Jeremy Wade swimming with Sharks! | The Boneyard

OT: River Monsters goes out to sea. Jeremy Wade swimming with Sharks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always been a big fan of the River Monsters TV show. I'm sure they sensationalize much of it, but on the latest episode JW was swimming with a whole bunch of swarming Reef Sharks, and later was in the water when they released a tiger shark that they had caught, tagged and even operated on adding a tracking device which was about 5 times his size. I don't know about you, but there's nothing anyone could do to get me in the water where I have even the smallest shark in sight, at least the ones that are capable of eating me.

Am I alone in this regard? How many out there would love to go swimming where there are sharks swarming around some bate chum? And I'm not talking about being inside some sort of cage.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Depends on the Shark. Most are harmless. A couple will mess you up bad. When I lived in California and tried to take up surfing one of the major reasons it didnt stick (other than I sucked) was I actually did feel afraid of Great Whites. I would be paddling or waiting on a wave and the hair on the back of neck would stand straight up sometimes.

Snakes are what I hate. I cant stand Snakes. I will run like a little girl at the thought of a snake.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I've always been a big fan of the River Monsters TV show.
As a fisherman, and a person with a functioning brain, I find it awful. They often piece together video from obviously different sequences in a hokey attempt to add excitement to a scene. eg, I've noted several incidents where he was using completely different gear midway through fighting a fish than he had been earlier (or later) in the same fight. But mostly it's him fretting over whether some trout or something could be a maneater, only to conclude the obvious at the end of the show. No, it couldn't.

...they released a tiger shark that they had caught, tagged and even operated on adding a tracking device which was about 5 times his size.
That's some big- tracking device there!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've always been a big fan of the River Monsters TV show. I'm sure they sensationalize much of it, but on the latest episode JW was swimming with a whole bunch of swarming Reef Sharks, and later was in the water when they released a tiger shark that they had caught, tagged and even operated on adding a tracking device which was about 5 times his size. I don't know about you, but there's nothing anyone could do to get me in the water where I have even the smallest shark in sight, at least the ones that are capable of eating me.

Am I alone in this regard? How many out there would love to go swimming where there are sharks swarming around some bate chum? And I'm not talking about being inside some sort of cage.

Went diving on the Great Barrier reef at night. They turn the lights on the boat on full blast. All the fish come to the surface because of the light. All the sharks come to the surface because of the fish. And you just jump right in in the middle of it all. Pretty weird experience.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Went diving on the Great Barrier reef at night. They turn the lights on the boat on full blast. All the fish come to the surface because of the light. All the sharks come to the surface because of the fish. And you just jump right in in the middle of it all. Pretty weird experience.

Great Barrier reef is another great white hotbed.

Youre insane.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Snakes are what I hate. I cant stand Snakes. I will run like a little girl at the thought of a snake.
Yea? How about turkeys?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The show should just be called "Guy Catches Big Fish."

The weekly script that calls for him to pretend that some villager in a remote civilization was devoured by a catfish is so stupid.

Reaction Score
The show should just be called "Guy Catches Big Fish."

The weekly script that calls for him to pretend that some villager in a remote civilization was devoured by a catfish is so stupid.
Have you seen the big ass catfish that stalk the murky waters of this planet? I'm a believer.

Now I never said it was quality TV or believable. It's just different and a little entertaining.

Are their folks out there that watch that searching for Bigfoot show? Now that's flat-out ridiculous and I can't imagine anyone watching it that has half a brain. As I've said before, if there's a Bigfoot out there, why haven't people seen Mrs. Bigfoot and little baby Bigfoots. And if he's so freaking bid, how has someone not been able to get a photo off their cell phone.

Now if they were searching for the chupacabra, then that would be something. :)

Reaction Score
You are nuts. Sharks coming to the surface and you jump in? I'd watch the fish on the surface from the boat with one of those drinks with an umbrella in it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't care how big it is - you pick the catfish of your choice and I will kick its fat sludge-eating ass.

Come early because that fight ends with me and a deep fryer plating your river monster.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I don't care how big it is - you pick the catfish of your choice and I will kick its fat sludge-eating ass.

Come early because that fight ends with me and a deep fryer plating your river monster.
Which one is you?

ABC_gma_janis_bare_knuckle_fishing_jt_130826_16x9_608.jpg

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Probably so.
I guess my insanity applies to a land shark story. My wife and I were walking on a remote trail in Yellowstone when two guys came running from the opposite direction. They warned my wife and I to turn back because there was a Grizzly not far ahead in the direction we were going. We didn't heed their advice thinking the bear would move on by time we got to the point in the trail where they spotted it. Turns out we saw the Grizzly - a mother and two cubs. My wife slowly moved away. What did I do. I went for the camera. I crouched and was putting the telephoto lens on when the mother spotted me.

She rose on her hind legs and started to stare at me. I figured I was a goner. For whatever reason I couldn't help but admire her so I just gaped. What an incredible creature. Surprisingly, after two minutes, with each of us staring at one another, she dropped to all fours and began browsing for food.

I used up two of my nine lives with this encounter. I walked back and met up with my wife (about a mile from the where we spotted the bears. Never knew she could move so fast!) where she proceeded to maul me for being so stupid. I still bear the scars.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I guess my insanity applies to a land shark story. My wife and I were walking on a remote trail in Yellowstone when two guys came running from the opposite direction. They warned my wife and I to turn back because there was a Grizzly not far ahead in the direction we were going. We didn't heed their advice thinking the bear would move on by time we got to the point in the trail where they spotted it. Turns out we saw the Grizzly - a mother and two cubs. My wife slowly moved away. What did I do. I went for the camera. I crouched and was putting the telephoto lens on when the mother spotted me.

She rose on her hind legs and started to stare at me. I figured I was a goner. For whatever reason I couldn't help but admire her so I just gaped. What an incredible creature. Surprisingly, after two minutes, with each of us staring at one another, she dropped to all fours and began browsing for food.

I used up two of my nine lives with this encounter. I walked back and met up with my wife (about a mile from the where we spotted the bears. Never knew she could move so fast!) where she proceeded to maul me for being so stupid. I still bear the scars.
great story/moment. I had a weird moment in Wyoming where I had inadvertently brought my friend back home (from Seattle, back to the midwest), only for him to meet up with his college sweetheart. So I was walking out in the dusk/dark and nearly walked into a very large moose (with very large antlers). I was lucky and slowly backed off and walked away without incident. But what an amazing animal, as you found with your bear. It ended up fine, but it might not have.

Reaction Score
If any of you go fishing off the coasts of southern california, there are some big humboldt squids that travel in massive packs. I saw some that were 5-6 ft long and later found out that they could weigh up to 200 lbs. This may not be as bad as the guy scared of seaweed, but big squids are scary. Esp since they are mean.

I can only wonder how big they can actually get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom