OT - Risk - The Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Risk - The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm a maybe, can someone cut & Paste a game summary and exactly how it works. I just paged thru about a half-dozen things on that site about Risk and nothing even close to the directions on the back of the box-top. How about the rules, how to play, etc?! Thanks

Need your landgrab name.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Game about to start - it's a race to see if CL82 can get me his langrab name before Dogdeacon accepts. Once he does it's game on.

Pretty basic rules: Random territories with 3 armies on each to start. Card trade in based on symbols, 2 extra armies on owned territory. 1 fortification at the end of the turn any to any provided an owned path exists. Pretty much the most basic it gets. Not close to my favorite choices, but good for new players as the game takes a little longer and gives you and idea how and where to play.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
OK - got Fishy to join so this should be fun. I realize I have to give a basic Risk instruction.
1) You win the game by taking all the territories on the board. ie. You have to kill everyone else.
2) You are given bonus armies at the start of each turn for owning territories (I believe one bonus army per 3 owned with a minimum of three every turn. If you have one territory, you get three. If you have 6, you get 3, if you have 9, you get 3, if you have 11, you get 3, if you have 12, you get 4, if you have 15, you get 5 and so on.)
3) You get extra bonus armies at the start of each turn if you own an entire continent. Different continents have different values because some are easy and some are hard. Australia gives you 1 extra, Asia gives you 4 extra armies. It's really hard to own Asia and relatively easy to hold Australia or South America.
4) You will get a card at the end of each turn if you have taken at least one territory. If you take none, you get none. If you take, 1, 3, 7, 10 or more, you get one card. It's generally important to take one territory to get a card each turn, although in this game, it won't hurt much if you don't.
5) Cards have 4 things on them - Circle, Diamond, Star or Wild. C,D,S cards have a territory associated with them. Wilds do not. When you have three of a set or three different, you can trade those in at the start of a turn. 3 Circles gets you 4 bonus armies, 3 Diamonds gets you 6, 3 Stars gets you 8 and 1 of each gets you 10. A wild can be used for any card, but if you are lucky enough to get 3 wilds, you can trade them for 20. If you own the territory associated with the card, you get 2 extra bonus armies on that territory. You can have up to 5 cards before you have to trade them at the start of your turn.
6) If you take the last territory owned by a player, you get his cards. This can be pretty important.
7) You can only attack bordering territories. Some borders go across oceans (ie, North Africa to Brazil).

The card thing sounds complicated, but it isn't - you'll get it in when you get your second card.

Ok - the dice: If you are attacking and have three or more armies, you throw three dice. If the place you are attacking has 2 or more armies, they throw two dice. The best (highest) die or each player is compared and the loser loses an army - if they are tied, the attacker loses) Then the second best die are compared and the lower loses an army (again a tie goes to the defender). If the attacker has 2 armies, he throws 2 dice. If the defender has 1 army, he throws one die. All the above rules stay the same.

If you attack with 8 armies against 5, you throw three and the defender throws 2. Two armies will be lost and you can go again. If you attack with 8 armies vs 1 army, you throw 3 and he throws 1. If you attack with 2 vs 5, you throw 2 and he throws 2. If you attack with 2 vs 1, you throw 2 and he throws 1. This again sounds a little complicated but is obvious by your 2nd turn. Bottom line, it's best to attack and it's best to have a lot of armies.

This sounds complicated too but becomes easy. Examples:
Attacker 6, 4, 1 Defender 6, 3 - each loses one (6v6 goes to defender, 4vs 3 goes to attacker)
Attacker 6,5,1 Defender 5,4 - defender loses 2 (6v5 goes to attacker, 5v4 goes to attacker)
Attacker 5,4,4 Defender 5,5 - attacker loses 2 (5v5 goes to defender, 4v5 goes to defender)

Again - sounds complicated but it's not. The game takes care of it for you. The bottom line, attack with a lot. Put a lot to defend when you can.

In this game to start, you might have to attack 3v3 sometimes (that would be three dice for attacker and 2 for defender) and it's a crap shoot. However 30 v 30 is pretty big favorite for the attacker because of the extra dice.

These are the basics - you'll catch on really quickly. It's not as complex as it sounds.

Basic idea - attack with more than are defending and take territory and defend continents. That's about it. Oh yeah - kill everyone else.

Reaction Score
Game about to start - it's a race to see if CL82 can get me his langrab name before Dogdeacon accepts. Once he does it's game on.

Pretty basic rules: Random territories with 3 armies on each to start. Card trade in based on symbols, 2 extra armies on owned territory. 1 fortification at the end of the turn any to any provided an owned path exists. Pretty much the most basic it gets. Not close to my favorite choices, but good for new players as the game takes a little longer and gives you and idea how and where to play.

What are your favorite rules?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
What are your favorite rules?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Depends on what game I'm looking for. If I want a quick game, I usually start a game that's placed armies, 2,4,6,8,10,12... with continent values increasing w/ 9 not on territory.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry, I haven't been checking the thread. Should have PM'd me. I signed up under my handle. Put me in for round 2

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Okay, the game is on and my first turn was nearly disastrous. Wah wah wah wah. (Come closer, I will bite your leg off).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Check the continent values in your rules J. Australia/South America are 2. Africa 3. Europe/NA 5. Asia 7.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Check the continent values in your rules J. Australia/South America are 2. Africa 3. Europe/NA 5. Asia 7.

You are correct - I had clicked on another game where they are different. Thanks

Reaction Score
So when we place our armies down can we only put all 3 down in the same location? I cant put 2 here and 1 there?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am going to take all 24 hours.

I just accidentally added an army somewhere.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
So when we place our armies down can we only put all 3 down in the same location? I cant put 2 here and 1 there?

You can place however you want (on your own territory, of course).

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
You can spread them around, make sure the drop down says place 1 army at a time and click different territories.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm so happy I've found a site outside of the CR board that I can mindlessly refresh like a rat in a skinner box waiting for something to happen.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I'm so happy I've found a site outside of the CR board that I can mindlessly refresh like a rat in a skinner box waiting for something to happen.

You know you can hit the realtime tab and you don't have to refresh?

Reaction Score
I'm going to mimic my strategy after the Swiss, and not be involved in any conflicts. So if you all would not attack me...that would be greeeeat.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I'm kind of surprised you haven't joined another game yet....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tried to open invite by clicking on it and nothing happened. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction Score
I'm kind of surprised you haven't joined another game yet....
I don't get the multiple game mindset. So any one game is too boring or slow therefore I must play more games? You don't detect any flaw in that logic ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom