OT: Replacement Refs and Poor NE Pat's Coaching | The Boneyard

OT: Replacement Refs and Poor NE Pat's Coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
1st, one of the announcers today said something to the effect of, "shame on the NFL" for not getting the Refs out there - these games are too important to leave it to replacements."

From my perspective, the replacement refs have done a passable job considering that they are the hodge-podge Battlestar Gallactica version of a reffing core, brought in from the 4 corners of the country. I've heard them called the "Pop Warner refs" and so on. They've gotten most of the calls right, and didn't affect the outcome of the Pat's game today, as far as I could tell.

Perhaps what these last two weeks have shown is that the "real" NFL refs aren't worth more than what they're making. In any event, you've gotta be nervous if you are a striking ref and the weeks keep going by, as the performance of the replacements does not appear to be helping your cause.

Regarding Bellicheck, what the hell was the guy thinking today?

Gostkowski is as good as they come for place kickers, but a 42 yard field goal is not a gimme.
I GET that you're worried about fumbles, but Brady took a knee at least twice in the final set to take time off the clock. I couldn't find a specific % for Gostkowski from 40-49, but moving the ball even 5 or 10 yards would have made a difference physically and probably mentally.

Confidence is one thing, but intentionally taking zero yards 3 times in the final set of downs with the thought that 42 yards is close enough is, in my opinion, a poor job of coaching.

On the other hand, the Pats looked sloppy all day except for the last TD drive, so the Pats didn't really earn it (how happy is the Card who fumbled), and this would have been like the time I was at the beach and some well-endowed girl was attempting to flick a fly off of her chest but instead flicked off half of her untied bikini top over, revealing a whiteness that was brighter than the driven snow that I had never seen before and have not seen since.

Reaction Score
"passable" is spot on.....maybe better. I think I've bitched at the calls less with the replacements than the real deal.......hardly noticeable!!!

Reaction Score
VERY noticeable in the Jets/Steeler game....even the reviews.

S-load of holding of receivers going un-noticed in the Giants game. The postgame guys were joking that at least they're consistent and letting it all go...it's like the '80's all over again.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honestly, the 'real' refs should hurry up and cut their deal.

The longer this goes on, the less they'll be missed.

As for the Patriots, they always seem to have a WTF loss early and it never seems to hurt them.

Reaction Score
Most of the nation isn't aware that the Patriots scored a game-winning TD with 40 seconds left that was called back by a phantom hold on Gronkowski well downfield. It was the sort of thing we saw in the game 100 times today. He used his mitts to turn the defender almost as any blocker would, but never held to impede the defender from disengaging or running the other way. Crazy.

I do think the refs have been pretty bad.

Belichick did that because it was second down and the team had no timeouts.

Think about it, if you go for it on 3rd down and the player stays in bounds, you can't spike the ball. The FG unit has to rush onto the field, and set up from the hash for a game-winning kick.

Gostkowski had made a couple 50 yarders and a couple others. He was kicking dead on.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A New England sports fan complaining about the officiating?

It seems the new refs are picking up where the old ones left off.

Reaction Score
To be honest, that holding call on Gronk was a bit ridiculous, especially given that Gronk was being held on at least two plays earlier in the quarter that were more egregious and not called.

My question is, WTF is Arizona doing running the ball and not kneeling down ?! Good lord. You aren't going to get 10 yards on an obvious running play. Just kneel down, punt the ball and leave Brady with 20 seconds to go 40-50 yards to get in FG range.

Reaction Score
Yesterday in the Eagles game they must have stopped play about 7 times because they could not place the ball in the right spot after penalties, etc.

The Ravens/Bengals game a couple weeks ago, that Boldin TD should have been overturned. Half the ball was covered in white chalk after he got up, and you could clearly see that in the replay. I know receivers in the NFL can do magical things, but I've never seen one change the color of half a football. I guess they couldn't overturn it since his body blocked the ball hitting the ground? But still, the ball was white.

Anyways they haven't been bad. I think with all the hype surrounding them being subpar makes us fans dissect every call they make and assusme its BS.

Oh, and they can't get jersey numbers right at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom