OT Rangers-Caps fight | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT Rangers-Caps fight

Reaction Score
To be fair, you could have phrased your point better; but I think a lot of people are struggling and conflating “tacitly condoned culture of x” and “x is part of the game”.

No, I don't think that's what's happening. I think what's happening is that people who by their own admission don't watch or like hockey are telling people who do follow the sport about what is or is not a part of it. It's very weird. Again, you don't have to like it, or understand it, or watch it, but to say that it's not part of the game is just really freaking strange. Ask a guy like Ryan Reaves if fighting is not part of the sport. If it was banned tomorrow he'd literally be unemployed.

The role of fighting has been explained multiple times by multiple people. No one has said it's part of the game only because "it's always been around."

Reaction Score
Fighting in the NHL has gotten so much “better”.

Almost all of the “big guy vs big guy for no reason” died off 10 years ago. That fighting is stupid and I never liked it.

A fight that is a reactionary response to a player defending themselves or their teammates is the “right kind” of hockey fighting. If you choose to do this, this is my response. That type of fighting is part of the culture and will never go away.

That’s why I loved Smith going after Wilson.

The fight at the beginning of the game was dumb. The two fights after the Smith/Wilson fights were awkward and weren’t needed.

Reaction Score
Agree on that point. Nothing preplanned, however, about that awesome old-school cross check to the face of Mantha by Buchnevich! Sadly, he will end up with the biggest punishment in this entire saga.
The stick across the head of Manta was the worst event of the entire two games. I should be punished.

Reaction Score
What a pathetic response. The idea of jumping 10 feet in the air at full speed not knowing exactly how you’re going to come down with four other people running/standing near you on a hard wood floor isn’t the safest either. Running across a football field as a slot receiver is similarly dangerous. But those other sports have taken measures to control extraneous interactions between players as in basketball (and to a lesser extent football), and/or changed the rules to make things safer such as in football. There are ways to control self-policing or police it better yourself to take it out of the players’ hands. Every sport is better for not having self-policing and fights.

Reaction Score
No, I don't think that's what's happening. I think what's happening is that people who by their own admission don't watch or like hockey are telling people who do follow the sport about what is or is not a part of it. It's very weird. Again, you don't have to like it, or understand it, or watch it, but to say that it's not part of the game is just really freaking strange. Ask a guy like Ryan Reaves if fighting is not part of the sport. If it was banned tomorrow he'd literally be unemployed.

The role of fighting has been explained multiple times by multiple people. No one has said it's part of the game only because "it's always been around."
Maybe homeboy can try MMA if he’s such a fighter who can’t actually play hockey.

And yes, the arguments have been been variations of a facile “it’s about self-policing and it’s always been around”.

Reaction Score
What a pathetic response. The idea of jumping 10 feet in the air at full speed not knowing exactly how you’re going to come down with four other people running/standing near you on a hard wood floor isn’t the safest either. Running across a football field as a slot receiver is similarly dangerous. But those other sports have taken measures to control extraneous interactions between players as in basketball (and to a lesser extent football), and/or changed the rules to make things safer such as in football. There are ways to control self-policing or police it better yourself to take it out of the players’ hands. Every sport is better for not having self-policing and fights.

Ladies and gentleman there you have it the opinion of authority right there, I'm sure the canadiens will look into your thoughts.

Reaction Score
Hockey has always been a freaking joke commish after commish. Its a joke how they don’t look out for players. I also freaking love hockey.

Reaction Score
Ladies and gentleman there you have it the opinion of authority right there, I'm sure the canadiens will look into your thoughts.
You don’t have a UConn degree, do you?

Reaction Score

Of course you gotta have a Mcafee break down on this.

Reaction Score
I'll admit that I'm not a die hard fan, but for me, the punch to the back of head on a guy who is completely defenseless and went down in an extremely awkward position is reprehensible. Wilson defending himself and slamming the guy, goon or not, is understandable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Back in the day most teams had their "goons."
1620491144357.jpeg

“Calling me a goon?! Them’s fighting words!”

(Ironically, Schultz was a scorer in the minors, but as you point out, everything needed to have a designated goon. That was Dave’s gig.”)

Reaction Score
No, not "every other sport has moved on from this," because no other sport had it. That doesn't make sense. You might think it's dumb or "nobody needs it" but I guarantee you that among people who know and love the game the vast majority of people think it still has a place. If it's not your thing you'd think you just wouldn't watch it - people can have different tastes.

Edit: no disrespect to box lacrosse. They have fighting too. But no one watches that.
I have been present at a BB game when fights in the game resulted in a general riot. That’s real scary .
That sport has to be serious because of the fan location. Stands can empty rapidly.
Football fights are a joke unless weapons are involved. Those are some scary guys but if you keep your helmet on getting hurt is impossible.
Baseball fights are pretty common but a fist fight is usually less dangerous than a beanball which caused the fight.
My experience with Hockey fights is it’s difficult to get leverage on skates but if it gets one sided a big Burly linesman’s or two quickly intercedes.
No other sport has officials capable of preventing mayhem.
More severe injuries in hockey occur from cheap shots or worse stick work.

Reaction Score
I have my degrees how is that even relevant to this thread.
Because I would probably light my UConn diploma on fire if I knew someone who wrote as poorly as you somehow got your own degree.

Reaction Score
Well then, now hockey is a “special sport”. You all are just pinging off each other deeper down the rabbit hole lmaooo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom