OT- Prettiest spot in CT. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Prettiest spot in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
(love bluff pt and Harkness)
Essex village (especially in December)
Drive from Fairfield to West Redding (so basically Easton, Weston, The reservoirs, Greenfield Hills)
SOUTHPORT!!!
Wadsworth Falls (Middlefield)
RT 10 in Farmington By Ms Porters (rt 10 Avon--> Simsbury)
(been said, but) Rt 7 from Gaylordsville--> Cornwall Bridge (includes Kent, Kent falls, Bulls Bridge, etc...)
.....I love this state....I could go on and on

Reaction Score
....and as the best stretch of Highway, despite having the Merritt Parkway (which at one point was considered the 2nd most scenic highway in the US behind The P.C.H....may still be) is RT 8 in Beacon falls (as soon as you hit Naugatuck that goes out the window however)

History Lesson.... Durring the New Deal recovery pd in the 1930's the Merritt was built. They held an architectural competition for bridges that would span it....they scored them in order, and the top 30 or so were all built... the "best" placed by the state line in Greenwich and in descending order.....however)
SUPER SUB category- Favorite Merritt Parkway Bridge.....The stone one in Stamford!
628x471.jpg

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Kent Falls in CT, the waterfall at Indian Well State Park in Shelton, Saugatuck Reservoir in Weston, and the rafters of Gampel Pavillion in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Lake Waramaug and the surrounding area plus Washington Depot.

My first job was at The Inn on Lake Waramaug. My vote is for Lion's Head up on Mt. Riga looking east into Mass. and Connecticut. Easy hike and an awesome view.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Drive Rt. 169 from Norwich to the Mass border in the fall through Woodstock.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just hike up to any CT River overlook during peak foliage. Gillette Castle and Split Rock in Hurd SP. Also Machimoodus SP has a great overlook of the Salmon River.

We just discovered a Guilford hike off Rt 77 to an overlook called Bluff Head.

Mystic Village.

Anyone been to the old Yankee Atomic Nuclear property recently? Looks like an amazing wildlife preserve.

Reaction Score
saville dam.png
Always found the drive past Saville Dam in Barkhamsted to be pretty sweet. Driving past early in the morning in the fall with mist coming off the river and the surrounding foliage is pretty beautiful, it's also striking when snow-covered in the winter.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
North Main St into Stonington Borough. Its where Julia Roberts hitchhiked in movie "Mystic Pizza."

Reaction Score
How about Wickham park in Manchester, overlooking the Hartford skyline.

Reaction Score
I don't know if anyone got this, but I love when I get on the interchange from 91N to 84E, driving by with the city to my left, particularly at night. I remember doing that in high school and always trying to find the perfect song on the radio for it, because if you did it right it felt like a music video. Am I an insane person? Maybe.

Reaction Score
I just saw super johns post but this is my vote as well. Along with Gillette Castle

Attachments

• saville dam rd.jpg
    saville dam rd.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 67

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Any of dozens of spots on almost any of the Blue Dot Trails in the state. There are overlooks that are damned majestic, and hidden hollows that are both beautiful and serene.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Chester

I was just telling my daughter that she was lucky this morning. Her bus stop is at a private beach on cedar lake and this time of year the sun is rising just over the trees on the other side of the lake as her bus comes. Add to that the changing leaves and mist over the water from temp change and it is really breathtaking. Real nice area.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Miller's Pond in Durham.

Grayville Falls in Hebron.

Case Mountain in Glastonbury.

Bigelow Hollow in Union.

Soapstone Mountain in Somers.

50 Foot in Mansfield.

Nathan Hale Homestead in Coventry.

All of these places are not only scenic but have world class mountain biking trails as well.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I was just telling my daughter that she was lucky this morning. Her bus stop is at a private beach on cedar lake and this time of year the sun is rising just over the trees on the other side of the lake as her bus comes. Add to that the changing leaves and mist over the water from temp change and it is really breathtaking. Real nice area.

It's one of those places where I feel like I'm on vacation when I'm there. The light seems to settle nicely on the center of town for much of the day, always making for a picturesque setting. Great farmer's market, too, and some nice quality establishments.

Miller's Pond in Durham.

All of these places are not only scenic but have world class mountain biking trails as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the mountain biking trails at Miller's Pond. I'll have to check them out.

Reaction Score
the waterfall at Indian Well State Park in Shelton,.

The last few times I went there, there was so much garbage thrown around the area it was a disgrace.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
It's one of those places where I feel like I'm on vacation when I'm there. The light seems to settle nicely on the center of town for much of the day, always making for a picturesque setting. Great farmer's market, too, and some nice quality establishments.

Thanks for the heads up on the mountain biking trails at Miller's Pond. I'll have to check them out.

The trails at Miller's are expert level. Bring your A game. There is a full run down of all MTB trails in the area including trail maps at bikerag.com

Reaction Score
View attachment 7484 Always found the drive past Saville Dam in Barkhamsted to be pretty sweet. Driving past early in the morning in the fall with mist coming off the river and the surrounding foliage is pretty beautiful, it's also striking when snow-covered in the winter.

+1 on the Saville Dam, I pretty much thought I have been everywhere in CT but was really impressed with this hidden gem. If anyone is looking for a scenic drive....

http://www.yankeemagazine.com/article/drivingtours/northwestern-connecticut-foliage-drive-directions

Reaction Score
The last few times I went there, there was so much garbage thrown around the area it was a disgrace.
Thats sad I use to swim there as a teen.Diving or jumping off the first ledge was a right of passage.
The Housatonic River has some pretty spots
I loved the River in the fall when the water was completly still.
In the early morning the warm water misted into the crisp October air.
to complete the scene A Yale 8 oared shell quietly and efforlessly rowed their way upstream barely visable through the heavy mist. almost ghost like in the dawn hours.
As they got unto postion for their sprint back to the boathouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog