OT- Prettiest spot in CT. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT- Prettiest spot in CT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What's West Rock like these days? Had some nice day and night time experiences at that place a long time ago.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Beinecke at Yale is a must see. And of course Peabody with the dinosaurs skeletons. As a kid I thought it was the neatest place on the planet.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:
  • The top of Sleeping Giant (not the 'castle') facing New Haven;
  • Thimble Islands in Branford;
  • Bear Mountain pyramid look-out over NE CT;
  • I am a sucker for urban environments, so Chapel Street in New Haven;
  • Yale's "college" campuses (the inward facing city blocks);
  • The Hartford reservoir system (West Hartford and maybe part of Avon...never know where I am on a long hike off the main path);
  • Bushnell Park (when it is used for concerts and such...it has a really nice lay-out for an urban park);
  • A few miles up the Connecticut River inlet, towards Lyme;
  • The look-out tower on the Mashantucket museum (or the top of the hotels out there);

Reaction Score
Soon enough, the Boneyard will be able to publish a tourist's guide to CT.

Then we'll all want your video of it. Keep up the great work, and thanks.

Reaction Score
Kent Falls in CT, the waterfall at Indian Well State Park in Shelton, Saugatuck Reservoir in Weston, and the rafters of Gampel Pavillion in Storrs.
Actually the Saugatuck Dam has Devils Glen right below it, which is nice and is loaded with trout when the state stocks it in the spring, however when the dam was built in 1942 by BHC to create Saugatuck Reservoir, year round consistent water flow downstream was decreased which destroyed wild trout populations in Devils Glen and farther downstream. There were a couple much smaller dams with water wheels powering small factories in the area as well. Also, most people do not know this but the dam and reservoir itself while quite a feat, put underwater, maybe the most beautiful stretch of cascades, falls, and deep pools in the state. If the BHC never buys all that land and builds that dam the area would no doubt be one of the most beautiful state parks in the northeast today. I talked to some old timers and trout fisherman at the reservoir years ago that told me how beautiful it was. Basically Devils Glen went way up (about a mile or so) beyond the where the dam is now. I've researched it and found many old photos..... I'll post some when I can upload some to the cloud.

Last edited:

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
The view of New Haven from atop East Rock Park.
The oven at Pepe's pizza
George Clinton and the Mothership at the New Haven coliseum

Reaction Score
Anywhere in the NW corner.

we go to Lime Rock and I just marvel at the drive through that part of the State. I imagine that's the way the State must have looked in the 30s/40s/50s.

Reaction Score
we go to Lime Rock and I just marvel at the drive through that part of the State. I imagine that's the way the State must have looked in the 30s/40s/50s.

Drive some of the back roads around Salisbury or Lakeville, some pretty cool places.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The view of New Haven from atop East Rock Park.
The oven at Pepe's pizza
George Clinton and the Mothership at the New Haven coliseum
A solid list. Unfortunately number 3 no longer viewable.

Reaction Score
My father was one of the GC's that helped build Lime Rock Park, so we use to go tot he races all the time.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Sleeping Giant State Park - Right next to Quinnipiac U, great views from the top to LI Sound.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just drive Rt. 15 in Autumn from beginning to end. ;) the Merritt Parkway is truly beautiful scenery on a Fall afternoon.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just drive Rt. 15 in Autumn from beginning to end. ;) the Merritt Parkway is truly beautiful scenery on a Fall afternoon.
Especially at rush hour when you actually have to go slow enough to see it instead of dodging some 90 mph maniac on the road at other hours. Probably when BYrs are driving.

Reaction Score
Can't beleive no one mentioned Keney Park. Even had a BYC there.

Reaction Score
This picture doesn't do it justice, but the overlook from Mohawk State Forest is the best I have seen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-12-20-50-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-11-12-20-50-36.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads