OT: Peter Tork...Former Monkee RIP. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Peter Tork...Former Monkee RIP.

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea if they might have been related to Eric Torkelson, who was the starting tailback on the football team for a couple of seasons in the early 70's, and later played several seasons for the Packers. Eric was my lab partner in Geology 101, or, as it was always affectionately known, "Rocks for Jocks."

Pretty sure not. Eric T attended Burnt Hills HS near Saratoga NY. Remember Prof. Torkelson at UConn. I live in Schenectady which is only 10 miles from Burnt Hills and never heard of any connection.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
RIP Peter - all the girls loved Davey but I was a Micky Dolenz fan myself. Peter was kind of Dorky. Watched the show religiously when I was a kid - they were all the rage with preteen girls. 'Tiger Beat' magazine was it for hot young stars.
Many years after the show I saw a much aged Dolenz in a NYC eatery. Dolenz known to us real ancients as Circus Boy.

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea if they might have been related to Eric Torkelson, who was the starting tailback on the football team for a couple of seasons in the early 70's, and later played several seasons for the Packers. Eric was my lab partner in Geology 101, or, as it was always affectionately known, "Rocks for Jocks."
from reading a tribute it appears that Tork's name had a "H" in it so it was Thorkelson.

Mansfield’s Peter Tork, bassist and singer in the Monkees, dies at 77

"He was born Peter Halsten Thorkelson in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 13, 1942"

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Many years after the show I saw a much aged Dolenz in a NYC eatery. Dolenz known to us real ancients as Circus Boy.
Mickey and Joyce DeWitt were in a play at the Ivoryton Playhouse a few years ago. "Comedy is Hard" about two old entertainers in a old folks home. He was a comic. She was a broadway star. Overall, it was funny.

Reaction Score
Eric's senior year was 1973. I think he rushed for 1,233 yards. That team was 8-2-1, one of the best records we ever had during the post WWII era. He had an amazing game that season against Rutgers at Memorial Stadium. They had an All-American running back named J.J. Jennings. Eric outdid him, almost single handedly keeping the ball away from Rutgers, protecting a 20-19 lead for most of the fourth quarter. We eventually scored the clinching TD with less than a minute left after running about 12 or 13 minutes off the clock, almost all Torkelson carries.
Eric and Peter Tork were not related. Peter Tork's last name was Thorkelson, Eric didn't use an h in his name. Howard Cosell incorrectly made the connection during a Monday Night football game.
The Rutger's game was a slugfest, and UConn was more physical. Still in touch with Eric.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Eric and Peter Tork were not related. Peter Tork's last name was Thorkelson, Eric didn't use an h in his name. Howard Cosell incorrectly made the connection during a Monday Night football game.
The Rutger's game was a slugfest, and UConn was more physical. Still in touch with Eric.

Thanks, Ric.

Eric is one of the best people I've ever known...very down to earth and likeable. The Packers had a tribute page up on their website on him a couple of years back. It may still be on there somewhere.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Ric.

Eric is one of the best people I've ever known...very down to earth and likeable. The Packers had a tribute page up on their website on him a couple of years back. It may still be on there somewhere.
Nick, absolutely. One of the most genuine and thoughtful people you'd ever meet. And the most natural athlete I've ever known.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom