OT- Penny Hardaway Quote On Kyvon Davenport | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT- Penny Hardaway Quote On Kyvon Davenport

Reaction Score
obviously not.
I get that they're not exactly lighting the world on fire but I don't see how you could watch the majority of games this season and not notice that they have gotten better. They're not consistent but they've all flashed potential that's above and beyond where they were to start the year.

Reaction Score
Too be honest I expected more. But obviously Carlton has shown great strides. Wilson shows great athletic skills but hasn't shown the game yet(think a taller thinner Norman Bailey, for you old timers).Just has not shown up in the "W" column.
Wilson needs to work on his shooting, but he gets himself open and has improved a lot on defense over the course of the year. He also has stones. He's not afraid to take a big shot. Just needs them to fall

C

Chief00

Hurley hasn't come out and said it like Penny but he's hinted at it with basically everyone on this team except for Alterique and Vital.

Deep down Chief gives Penny credit for his honesty.

C

Chief00

Yes I do- the season is almost over - time to move on. Many here are convinced he will get them where they want to be, I'm not so yet. I hope he is successful as I am and have always been a rabid fan. At some point all the talk by fans, media and Hurley about changing culture and teaching kids the right way to do things needs to stop. Hurley needs to take some responsibility instead of continually slamming the kids and Ollie. Why the slow starts to 2nd halves? Why has FT% decreased across the board(except Jalen)? These are legitimate questions. I understand he needs 'his' kids so he has a few years but he needs to show he can recruit big men, which hasn't worked so far. And in my view his X's and O's need to improve.
And yes I saw Calhoun's dressing down of players on the sidelines during the heat of the moment in a game, but Hardaway publically shaming a kid during an interview is just wrong.
The things you point to that we need to improve on are legitimate points. I also thought Penny was speaking from the heart and making kids realize the commitment it takes to be good. I can tell you first hand, a lot of kids don’t know but need to be exposed to it. I guess it’s fair to argue the communication vehicle but I doubt if Penny hasn’t said this stuff to him in private or just in the team environment multiple times. Probably, out of frustration comes this more public approach - hoping that will turn on the switch.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
But he has not deserved the vitriol spewed by some on this site.

I've been far more critical of that vitriol than you have. Where were you when people were making garbage racial insinuations, or criticizing his performance as a father to his children? You certainly didn't object anywhere near as vocally as I did. I still get smeared as a KO apologist merely because I push back when people retroactively take credit for 2014 away. I'm more than well equipped to call balls and strikes on this issue. The excessive sensitivity you and others display isn't much better than the vitriol you complain about.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Glad you all think you know what is in my head

Even when Tenspro doesn't come out and explicitly say "I want every kid not named Alterique Gilbert sent packing," we can all tell what he's thinking. There are enough veiled references to see and sensible inferences to be made to support that. The same phenomenon is at play here.

pj

Reaction Score
Even when Tenspro doesn't come out and explicitly say "I want every kid not named Alterique Gilbert sent packing," we can all tell what he's thinking.

I can't tell. What's he thinking? And when and where did you learn to read minds? Is the tuition affordable?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Deep down Chief gives Penny credit for his honesty.

I'm too lazy to read 4 pages so wasn't sure if anyone said this yet. Totally agree and for me, it's not even "deep down". I give Penny all the credit in the world for his honesty, top to bottom. We all know this is a business in this day and age. So do the kids.

Coach is just ahead of his time because he has EF YOU money and doesn't need to worry about having a PC filter.

Figure out a way to pay these kids in college and a 100% accurate, public call out like this never makes the news.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I'm too lazy to read 4 pages so wasn't sure if anyone said this yet. Totally agree and for me, it's not even "deep down". I give Penny all the credit in the world for his honesty, top to bottom. We all know this is a business in this day and age. So do the kids.

Coach is just ahead of his time because he has EF YOU money and doesn't need to worry about having a PC filter.

Figure out a way to pay these kids in college and a 100% accurate, public call out like this never makes the news.

You won't miss much by not reading the whole thread. Almost out of the chute, it got diverted into intimations about Jalen that got bypassed for arguments about Ollie, then Ollie vs. Hurley, a veritable reunion of last year's partisans and apologists, largely in denial, sometimes on point.

Whether or not to call out kids in the harshest language Penny used has been largely been characterized as a slam. Someare OK with it, and some aren't. There's been virtually no mention of the paragraph or so in which Penny says Davenport is one of the greatest kids in the world, that he's recently started getting curious about things said months ago, and that he's coming around, albeit with no guarantees. None of that contextual balancing seems evident in the overriding narrative that's being pushed around like a game of rock, paper, scissors with cheering sections.

Boneyardin'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom