OT: Paradise Jam - hotels? | The Boneyard

OT: Paradise Jam - hotels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So, which hotels are people considering for their jaunt to St. Thomas for the Paradise Jam? It looks like we're going to go.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am not familiar with St. Thomas, but I hear good things about the Holiday Inn Express.

I don't know how it differs from the normal Holiday Inn...perhaps check-out is at 5 am.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and stay near water. That's always nice.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Have not been to St. Thomas in a very long time, so I have posted a request for recommendations on a sailing - cruising message board frequented by some people who know the Island well and are very current.. Hope to be able to post some "inside info" soon.

FYI, it looks to me like the venue and the resorts offered in the packages are on opposite ends of the main town, Charlotte Amalie. Not that it's a big deal, but just wanted to point that out.

Wish I could go! Maybe next time.

Reaction Score
Try TripAdvisor.com for any detailed location info.

Where are the games being played?

Reaction Score
So, which hotels are people considering for their jaunt to St. Thomas for the Paradise Jam? It looks like we're going to go.
I stayed at the Marriott the last time UConn participated. Very nice. But a bit pricey as I recall.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I went for inexpensive, figuring I wouldn't be spending much time there and getting something near the venue wasn't really an option - taxis to and for we're de rigeur.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We did the "off the beaten track" thing and stayed at the Mafolie Hotel, a small place up on a hill. Quite literally a "room with a view," as this place charmingly overlooked the town and harbor. We saved some money by not being "beach-side" and were never more than 10 minutes from town (dining/shopping) or a nice beach.

We did not rent a car and had no difficulty getting about through a combination of hotel shuttle, cabs and hitch-hiking with friends with rentals.

This worked fine for us, but the lovely little hotel is not ADA compliant so we must look to one of the resort hotels if we go again.

Mafolie. Worthy of consideration.

Reaction Score
We stayed at a place on Sapphire Beach on the East End, the other side of the island. The beach was perhaps the nicest I've ever seen, with great snorkeling and iguanas which, when asleep, fall out of the trees. The hotel (which was not the Sapphire Beach Resort, but the Crystal Cove Beach resort, a bit less pricey) was not wonderful but okay.

The problem we found was that driving from here to there involved some dangerously bad roads -- not to mention the wrong-side driving. More to the point, the islanders were less than friendly. My advice would be to go in a group if you can and if possible (and if it's affordable) stay where the team stays. I remember people who did that and later reported to the Boneyard that they had a wonderful time and a fine Thanksgiving dinner.

If you go, I strongly recommend a trip that includes lunch or dinner at "The Toad and the Tart," a British pub run by a delightful Englishwoman (the Tart, in fact) who makes wonderful meals. It's a completely idiosyncratic little place, and if you like that sort of thing, it cannot be beat. If you go, try to get to Sapphire Beach. I am sure there are lots of fine beaches on St. Thomas. I am almost certain none is better than Sapphire. Also, consider a side trip to very nearby St. John, which I am told is wonderful. I regret we did not do that.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
We stayed at a place on Sapphire Beach on the East End, the other side of the island. The beach was perhaps the nicest I've ever seen, with great snorkeling and iguanas which, when asleep, fall out of the trees. The hotel (which was not the Sapphire Beach Resort, but the Crystal Cove Beach resort, a bit less pricey) was not wonderful but okay.

The problem we found was that driving from here to there involved some dangerously bad roads -- not to mention the wrong-side driving. More to the point, the islanders were less than friendly. My advice would be to go in a group if you can and if possible (and if it's affordable) stay where the team stays. I remember people who did that and later reported to the Boneyard that they had a wonderful time and a fine Thanksgiving dinner.

If you go, I strongly recommend a trip that includes lunch or dinner at "The Toad and the Tart," a British pub run by a delightful Englishwoman (the Tart, in fact) who makes wonderful meals. It's a completely idiosyncratic little place, and if you like that sort of thing, it cannot be beat. If you go, try to get to Sapphire Beach. I am sure there are lots of fine beaches on St. Thomas. I am almost certain none is better than Sapphire. Also, consider a side trip to very nearby St. John, which I am told is wonderful. I regret we did not do that.
St. John is actually much nicer than St. Thomas as I recall. Primarily because its main town, Cruz Bay, is nicer than Charlotte Amalie, the main town on St. Thomas.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
St. John is actually much nicer than St. Thomas as I recall. Primarily because its main town, Cruz Bay, is nicer than Charlotte Amalie, the main town on St. Thomas.

We did the St. John day trip and it was very enjoyable. Take a boat (regular schedule, every day often) for a nice ride. Upon arrival, snag a seat or two on one of those little buses that take you all around the island. At least one convenient stop for a Bushwacker (more blenders per bar than anywhere I have ever been before), then browse in the little town before the return boat ride.

A delightfully relaxing way to spend a day.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Having a sleepless night and felt guilty about teasing readers by mentioning the favorite VI drink, the Bushwacker, which has many recipes, all seemingly dependent on a combination of available ingredients (i.e., booze) and the idiosyncrasies of the bartender. But here is one that I obtained from a very skilled and charming bartender. (N.B., booze is cheap there, so no wonder this recipe would never catch on back here.)

Start with the ingredients. (I am quoting.)
Mostly Bailey's Irish Cream
Healthy splash Amaretto
Healthy splash Kahlua
Small splash Vodka
Small splash Grand Marnier
Sprinkle Nutmeg
Lots of Ice

Next, directions
Fill the blender with ice (small cubes are best)
Add (small splashes) Vodka and Grand Marnier
Add (healthy) splash Kahlua and (less healthy) splash Amaretto
Fill with Bailey's to about 1/2" shy of the lid
Blend to milk shake density
Serve in a hurricane glass with sprinkle of nutmeg on top

Variations of the above are widespread. Consistency is non-existent.

On a hot VI day, this concoction is guaranteed to make your thing zing.

Reaction Score
Morning Star Beach Club-pricey but right on the sand and where all refs and some coaches stayed last time out.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I should have specified that we're not looking for upscale, just a place that's clean and reasonably priced. I expect we won't do much more than sleep there - no need to break that bank on a hotel when we won't be spending a lot of time at the place.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I should have specified that we're not looking for upscale, just a place that's clean and reasonably priced. I expect we won't do much more than sleep there - no need to break that bank on a hotel when we won't be spending a lot of time at the place.

Here is a Trip Advisor link for the Crystal Cove Beach resort. It's ranked #2 on the island and the price seems reasonable. I have not stayed there but I have stayed in nearby Red Hook. This map will give you an idea of where everything is located.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Nan, I believe you have two specific recommendations for hotels other than those offered in the travel package. One is Crystal Cove Beach Resort, which appears to be all the way on the eastern side of the island, about as far away from the bball venue as you can get, so that sounds like one you would not want.

The other, from Kib is for Mafolie, which is directly north of Carlotte Amalie, and according to their website only 10-15 minutes from the airport, which is right next to the venue, I believe. Location wise, it will probably be tough to beat that, based on your stated preferences. Mafolie will pop right up on google, looks nice, only downside is it not near a beach but there is a pool I believe.. And of course you can rely on Kib for first hand experience there.

My guess is that Mafolie is a bit closer to the venue than the hotels in the package and more reasonable price wise, since it does not offer proximity to a beach.

If you are not going to rent a car, you might call Mafolie to see if they can help with taxi fares and maybe some kind of transport deal for your stay.

Tripadvisor sounds like the best way to search for alternatives.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hmm. Nan gets tons of advice on how to get to NY. Now she gets advice on the V.I.s. Welcome to the Mobile Five-Star Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Well, we stayed at Crystal Cove, so we can say this from experience: There's much to recommend it, but know what you are asking for BEFORE you sign up. It is really a bunch of condo apartments, and when you get there it will still be nearly offseason, so there will not be a crowd. They do a lot of maintenance on the buildings and grounds during this period, so you will see, bu if you're lucky, not hear a lot of workers.

We stayed in a small unit, because there were just the two of us, and that would have been just fine. But the bed was a Murphy bed, pulled out of the wall, and it was one of the least comfortable we've ever slept on, if you can call it sleep. The apartment was very nice, the furnishings were first-rate, and the refrigerator was large, but we would never take a chance on getting that bed again. So if you go, and I would not discourage you, ask up front whether you get a real bed, or a pull-0ut model. If the latter, please go somewhere else, because the bed will ruin it for you.

Reaction Score
I almost forgot. When you are at Crystal Cove you are in the East End, and that is where the St. John boat leaves from. So if you're doing a day trip to St. John, you are already there. Also, Crystal Cove is right next to the Sapphire Beach Resort, which probably is more expensive than you want yo pay but has all the resort extras that you would want. So if you want more than a quiet day, you can go there and drink at the bar, rent equipment, etc., just as if you were staying in the resort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom