OT: October is National Pizza Month

Took a trip several years ago that was taking us through Naples, the birthplace of pizza, so I googled "Best pizza in Naples" and the majority opinion said it was "da Michele." After waiting outside for 45 minutes to get in, we were mildly disappointed. It just wasn't that special. We agreed that the best pizza we had on that trip was on the island of Burano in Venice.

I love NY-style pizza, but I'm really partial to very thin-crusted pizzas. Not a fan of deep-dish or Chicago-style pizza.

On my trips to Chicago. The Giordano's in the Lakeview neighborhood was a frequent choice for that deep dish pie. The first time I went...I was shocked when the waitress told me it would be 45 minutes before the pizza came out. Needless to say... it was worth the wait. You'd be so hungry by the time it arrived... yet 2 slices was my max. :eek: And this was over 20 years ago while I was in my eating prime :eek::eek::eek: I will say though.... it was the rare pie that tasted even better the next day warmed up.
On the 45 minutes:

1) You go downstairs and have a couple Goose Island 312's while your'e waiting (but be careful - this makes it easier to burn the roof of your mouth - deep dish doesn't cool off quickly)

2) It takes 45 minutes to re-heat it the next day, too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Guest
It's gonna take eating a lot of good pizzas until we're square again.
Define alot :p

On the 45 minutes:

1) You go downstairs and have a couple Goose Island 312's while your'e waiting (but be careful - this makes it easier to burn the roof of your mouth - deep dish doesn't cool off quickly)

2) It takes 45 minutes to re-heat it the next day, too.
Had no idea what a Goose 312 was..... so I googled it. Not much of a beer drinker. last time I had a beer was Super Bowl Sunday in 2014. (Darn you Patriots Head bang ) The problem with buying a six pack of beer... is that at my rate of consumption.... it would probably take about 70 years to finish the pack.... and I dont have 70 years left on this earth. :oops: Though I did hear on a radio show about some kinda Chocolate Beer that sounds intriguing :eek:

Back to pizza.... I found out the hard way about being careful about attacking a freshly made deep dish pizza :oops: Those pizza burns are the worst

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Guest
Hmm if only there was a place on the internet that analyzed and ranked Connecticut pizza places.

Ladies and gentleman I give you the masterwork of off season threads...

The Pizza Thread

100 pages of pizza place debate.

I hear yall have have some good pizza up there..... if any fine CT residents wish to fedex me a couple of pizzas..... I'd be willing to except :cool: I'd even put on my UCONN hat while I dine on it :eek:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Guest
It's gonna take eating a lot of good pizzas until we're square again.
Last night..... Meat Lovers Pizza... Mozzarella and Parmiagiano Cheeses.... Pepperoni, Sausage, Italian Bacon, Hamburger, and EXTRA Oregano.... (i told him to leave off the ham.. not a huge fan of ham on pizza)..... made by an Italian Immigrant ....

Just came across this 101 Best Pizzas in America for 2018...better late than never, as the month is almost over. CT seems to be well represented with 9 pizzerias with Frank Pepe's taking the #1 spot with their 'White Clam Pie".

If nothing else, this article perhaps gives you a chance to visit and try some of these pizzas. Enjoy!

101 Best Pizzas in America for 2018

Last night..... Meat Lovers Pizza... Mozzarella and Parmiagiano Cheeses.... Pepperoni, Sausage, Italian Bacon, Hamburger, and EXTRA Oregano.... (i told him to leave off the ham.. not a huge fan of ham on pizza)..... made by an Italian Immigrant ....
Nice. Monday evening, Enzo's again: half bacon, half pepperoni, lighter cheese. Excellent
Enzo's is the family fave in Montclair, NJ, located 12 miles west from NYC.