OT: October is National Pizza Month | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: October is National Pizza Month

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Asian chicken pizza?? :mad:
Totally agree. Even my wife’s preference for Buffalo chicken or Hawaiian make me cringe. Just throwing the refrigerator on a pizza crust doesn’t make it pizza. Give a Zuppardi or Pepe sausage and mushroom or pepperoni with a garlic hint is pizza. Green peppers, onions or olives acceptable but not for my tummy.

Reaction Score
Alright let us not get carried away here by confusing quantity and quality.
I saw this item hanging on a wooden pizza peel at one of my favorite local pizza place
Pizza was invented in Italy in ~1500.​
First Pizza Place in NYC was 1905​
A 400 year head start is kind of hard to overcome.
I’d quibble with the 1500 date. If you go to Pompei, you’ll see what I believe are pizza ovens among the shops. (Except for tomato pizza. Tomatoes hadn’t been invented yet.)

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Alright let us not get carried away here by confusing quantity and quality.
I saw this item hanging on a wooden pizza peel at one of my favorite local pizza place
Pizza was invented in Italy in ~1500.​
First Pizza Place in NYC was 1905​
A 400 year head start is kind of hard to overcome.
all lies!
'The word "pizza" first appeared in a Latin text from the town of Gaeta, then still part of the Byzantine Empire, in 997 AD; the text states that a tenant of certain property is to give the bishop of Gaeta duodecim pizze ("twelve pizzas") every Christmas Day, and another twelve every Easter Sunday.'

and, for us junior etymologists playing along at home,

'Byzantine Greek and Late Latin pitta > pizza, cf. Modern Greek pitta bread and the Apulia and Calabrian (then Byzantine Italy) pitta, a round flat bread baked in the oven at high temperature sometimes with toppings.'

i don't get the general lack of holistic understanding aboot the 'pizza' and 'pita' connection. just...too...freaking...obvious.

and, im sticking with US za got started in Bridgeport, Connecticut, cuz of the whole factory workers, hot lunch thing. Bridgeport had a crazy amount of factories back in the 19th century, and Italian immigrants, too, but, ok, i hear that New Haven had a couple, tree, factories, too.
lol.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
all lies!
'The word "pizza" first appeared in a Latin text from the town of Gaeta, then still part of the Byzantine Empire, in 997 AD; the text states that a tenant of certain property is to give the bishop of Gaeta duodecim pizze ("twelve pizzas") every Christmas Day, and another twelve every Easter Sunday.'

'Byzantine Greek and Late Latin pitta > pizza, cf. Modern Greek pitta bread and the Apulia and Calabrian (then Byzantine Italy) pitta, a round flat bread baked in the oven at high temperature sometimes with toppings.'

i don't get the general lack of holistic understanding aboot the 'pizza' and 'pita' connection. just...too...freaking...obvious.

and, im sticking with US za got started in Bridgeport, Connecticut, cuz of the whole factory workers, hot lunch thing. Bridgeport had a crazy amount of factories back in the 19th century, and Italian immigrants, too, but, ok, i hear that New Haven had a couple, tree, factories, too.
lol.
So basically what I got out of that not lies just perspective: The Greeks had it first but clearly Christmas and Easter was not frequent enough. Several centuries later the Romans came along and made it an every day thing. Bridgeport might have been on onboard before NYC. Buona mangiata.

Reaction Score
I spent most of my life looking at Pineapple like most here but my late wife pushed me into ordering one (ham, bacon, pineapple and Maraschino cherries) and I instantly became a fan. My pizza history goes back to my youth in Norwich when I could buy 8 Marvel comics, a cheese Pizza and a quart of milk for under $2.00. At 14 that was heaven.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
all lies!

lol.
I thought that was frisbees.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Give the guy a break - it:s only October 4th!!!!!
He was over a week late in 2019; chiding him a little made him more punctual in 2020 and 2021. Ok, I bribed him with food too. I think he's becoming a big Azzi Fudd/Chioptle fan.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Totally agree. Even my wife’s preference for Buffalo chicken or Hawaiian make me cringe. Just throwing the refrigerator on a pizza crust doesn’t make it pizza. Give a Zuppardi or Pepe sausage and mushroom or pepperoni with a garlic hint is pizza. Green peppers, onions or olives acceptable but not for my tummy.
I like the way you put it--throwing the refrigerator on a pizza crust. Tomato sauce, cheese, bacon/ham, and pineapple on a crust may not be pizza from a narrow, purist perspective, but I find it tasty. There are lots of other things that are tasty on a pizza crust, but probably don't make for pizza.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I thought that was frisbees.
and first human flight under power on planet earth.
we gustav whitehead types got a yuge chip on our shoulders.
yup, ol gussie was quite the well known local in 'factory land' aka 'the west end' aka the place where many italian-americans were bringing those newspaper wrapped, mostly The Bridgeport Post, lunches to work, aka 'pizza.'
back on topic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pizza Post on the Post Road in Greenwich. The best pizza dough anywhere. Triple proofed. Bet pizza in the state. And I've eaten in New Haven.

Reaction Score
But clams definitely do. ;)

I've gotten a lot of dislikes for advocating for clams on pizza. Before you click dislike, go to Pepe's, Sally's or Modern Pizza in New Haven and order a white clam pizza. Only then, if for some ungodly reason you don't like it, can you click the dislike button. Trust me, it is unforgettable.:)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Seem like I say this every year.... again people in here are singing the praises of various CT Pizza joints. Although I've been a Valued, respected member of this forum since 2008... I've received the same number of slices of pizza from CT as Duke women's BB have won national titles

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
Seem like I say this every year.... again people in here are singing the praises of various CT Pizza joints. Although I've been a Valued, respected member of this forum since 2008... I've received the same number of slices of pizza from CT as Duke women's BB have won national titles

giphy.gif

It's time we did something about this.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Bump for 2022.

.Like i always say, support ur mom and pop pizza place. Please practice safe pizza... no more than six slices in a row..and avoid eating hot pizza while driving, especially while driving at night... On a expressway, surrounded by transfer trucks. Not that I have any experience doing that. :rolleyes:. :oops:

Reaction Score
Bump for 2022.

.Like i always say, support ur mom and pop pizza place. Please practice safe pizza... no more than six slices in a row..and avoid eating hot pizza while driving, especially while driving at night... On a expressway, surrounded by transfer trucks. Not that I have any experience doing that. :rolleyes:. :oops:

And you still haven’t had a slice from Wooster Street, New Haven.

Reaction Score
Bump for 2022.

I haven't bought a pizza from a chain in decades. Back in the 80s sometimes I'd hit Papa Gino's in one of the local malls, they had decent pizza at the time.

Six slices in a row??? Holy cow.

Reaction Score
I will be in Brooklyn on the 8th. Any idea where I can get a great slice of pie?

Reaction Score
I heard it explained once that deep dish pizza is not a pizza, it’s a casserole. But it’s a great casserole.
Hmm much like boneless wings are not wings but a nugget.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom