OT?: Not a good look for Oregon MBB twitter act | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT?: Not a good look for Oregon MBB twitter act

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If this had been said about women's basketball, is the response from Oregon MBB the same? I'd say probably not but we can't be sure. More interestingly, though, if this had been said about women's basketball, is it sexist? I think you could argue no just as easily as you can argue that the tweet in question was sexist. Sexism falls under the category of power disparity and power disparity is ultimately what feminism tries to interrogate. If field hockey can be belittled, then so too could women's basketball, I'd argue. Otherwise we're assigning a level of importance to women's basketball that can then be used against us - and has been used against us - as a punchline for the current state of our athletic department.

It's definitely a bad decision to tweet that out, not because it's unfunny but because you can't disparage another sport when you're the official account of Oregon basketball and by association the school as a whole. Not a big deal, but I can see what people would find it problematic.
My opinion is that it isn't sexist. I agree with the poster who said that a fan of a niche sport was trolling and the response was appropriate. If it had been a fan of the UConn polo team or the UConn men's golf team throwing shade, the reaction would probably have been the same.

C

Chief00

My opinion is that it isn't sexist. I agree with the poster who said that a fan of a niche sport was trolling and the response was appropriate. If it had been a fan of the UConn polo team or the UConn men's golf team throwing shade, the reaction would probably have been the same.

Quite frankly, after watching the news the last few weeks, I don’t care if it is “sexist”.
Charlie Rose next in line.

Reaction Score
I started watching some field hockey this year. I thought it was like soccer or hockey, just whack the ball into the net, etc. But some of the things they did looked absolutely weird to a novice like me. For instance, if you do something wrong in the circle (and I could never figure out what a girl did wrong) then everyone leaves the circle area except for a few girls who stand in front of, and to the side of, the net, while a girl takes a sort of penalty shot. It just looked absurd and bizarre. Plus, now I see girls in the indoor sports arena practicing all during the off season. Very young girls too, 11 or 12 year olds. Bent over a stick for a couple hours a few nights a week all during the year! Jeez.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Not a good luck because we've had a lot more success on the basketball court and this is a basketball game. Weak deflection for Track and Field and Wannabe U

Reaction Score
In retrospect, I probably should have expected this response to creating this thread. I myself am sick of overly-critical PC bull crap I see in the news every day. . . If our official MBB social media account took a crap on another sport within our athletic department, I imagine some people would be critical.
Put the shovel down.

Reaction Score
Random dude tweets filed hockey (field hockey) crap.
Unnecessary faceless twitter response from MBB account.
Random fan of different sport claims to not be offended, but takes the time to start a thread on a MBB forum criticizing the MBB account.
Bizzarro reference to sexism.
And this made 4 pages on the Boneyard.
Some times I love the Internet. Some times I hate the Internet.
I'm wondering if I'm as bored as you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom