August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

@Fishy, Get me Dr. Bison

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
In retrospect, I probably should have expected this response to creating this thread. I myself am sick of overly-critical PC bull crap I see in the news every day, and calling out the tweet like that was not my intention.
Again, I am not offended by it, but just wanted to bring light to it, and only said it wasn't a good look. That's it.

If our official MBB social media account took a crap on another sport within our athletic department, I imagine some people would be critical.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Exactly.

We now live in a world where if I ask my girlfriend to make me a sandwich, some people get offended.
But, if she asks me to make her a sandwich...everything is fine.

You can't make this stuff up!

I don't get why a guy would ever ask a woman to make him a sandwich.

Not because it's sexist, but because I'm literally going to put twice as much roast beef in the sandwich as my wife would.

Reaction Score

Not because it's sexist, but because I'm literally going to put twice as much roast beef in the sandwich as my wife would.

This thread does not deserve a post of this quality.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

100% truth

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It is not the UConn Field Hockey team twitter and doesn't seem to be associated with UConn athletics. It is just a UConn fan's twitter account (twitter handle is @TheBigHop13 and his twitter display name is "UConn Field Hockey Appreciator")

Yes. If our official Field Hockey twitter feed was indeed mocking Oregon hoops, that would be a back look on us. Instead it's just an idiot Field Hockey fan (who seems to be a guy), and Oregon MBB responded perfectly in my view.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

100% truth

I was thinking this, too, initially; but then I remembered that there are a few instances when I prefer the sandwiches made by my wife.

One is panini night at our house. She knows how much you can put on the panini rolls without causing the panini maker to malfunction, whereas I invariably overstuff them and cause havoc and a mess when I try to jam them in the panini maker and press down on the lid.

I also prefer her sandwiches to mine if I am packing them for a day of skiing or the beach, etc. Once again she knows how to make a reasonable sandwich that you can eat without making a mess, whereas I load them up and they fall apart when I am ready to eat them.

She also makes a better meatloaf sandwich than I do.

Reaction Score

Bingo.

My wife is a vegetarian, so I don't even bother to ask.

Reaction Score
Hi, I'm @TheBigHop13 on twitter so I thought I'd comment on this situation.

1. I'm not generally a big field hockey fan, but, as a UConn Alum, I'd celebrate anything UConn wins.
2. I like not using my real name on twitter so I decided to set "UConn Field Hockey Appreciator" as my twitter name just for kicks. I'm probably going to change it again in a few days.
3. I don't care if someone doesn't like or watch field hockey. I don't. I don't even normally watch our women's basketball team. Thats not what made the tweet Sexist.
4. What made Oregon's comment sexist is that it implied that it was stupid to celebrate an all female, less prestigious sport. Again, I'd take pride in anything UConn wins regardless of gender/prestige etc.
5. The point @UChusky916 makes about how Oregon's field hockey team would react to that tweet is a good one.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I was thinking this, too, initially; but then I remembered that there are a few instances when I prefer the sandwiches made by my wife.

One is panini night at our house. She knows how much you can put on the panini rolls without causing the panini maker to malfunction, whereas I invariably overstuff them and cause havoc and a mess when I try to jam them in the panini maker and press down on the lid.

I also prefer her sandwiches to mine if I am packing them for a day of skiing or the beach, etc. Once again she knows how to make a reasonable sandwich that you can eat without making a mess, whereas I load them up and they fall apart when I am ready to eat them.

Well it sounds like you've got yourself a fine sandwich maker as a spouse, 88. Some of us aren't so blessed.

In addition to my wife's delusional views on portion size, she has an irrational hatred of condiments. Imagine being married to August, if he was a pretty woman without an arrest record.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Youre a lucky man. There is no occasion or scenario that exists on this earth in which my wife would make a better sandwich. Although I tell her she makes a better PB+J than I do when I dont feel like getting off the couch to make one myself. Its not true, but the variance isnt wide enough (its PB+J what could go wrong?) to make me want to stand up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Although I tell her she makes a better PB+J than I do when I dont feel like getting off the couch to make one myself. Its not true, but the variance isnt wide enough (its PB+J what could go wrong?) to make me want to stand up.
I would never trust my wife with a PB+J for me.

First of all, I am the only one in the family who prefers chunky peanut butter to smooth.

Second, I am the only one who prefers the all-natural style of peanut butter to the "peanut butter spread" they like, which also has sugar added.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hi, I'm @TheBigHop13 on twitter so I thought I'd comment on this situation.

1. I'm not generally a big field hockey fan, but, as a UConn Alum, I'd celebrate anything UConn wins.
2. I like not using my real name on twitter so I decided to set "UConn Field Hockey Appreciator" as my twitter name just for kicks. I'm probably going to change it again in a few days.
3. I don't care if someone doesn't like or watch field hockey. I don't. I don't even normally watch our women's basketball team. Thats not what made the tweet Sexist.
4. What made Oregon's comment sexist is that it implied that it was stupid to celebrate an all female, less prestigious sport. Again, I'd take pride in anything UConn wins regardless of gender/prestige etc.
5. The point @UChusky916 makes about how Oregon's field hockey team would react to that tweet is a good one.

Thanks for the honesty

#4 - if that was the implication - I agree with you 110%. In addition if we ALL don't celebrate and UConn success and take pride in that accomplishment then why are you a fan?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let's please not make this another food site

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yes. If our official Field Hockey twitter feed was indeed mocking Oregon hoops, that would be a back look on us. Instead it's just an idiot Field Hockey fan (who seems to be a guy), and Oregon MBB responded perfectly in my view.
He admitted “I’ve never watched a field hockey game.” I have no idea who this joker is. IMO The whole thing isn’t offensive, just bad judgment for an official Twitter account keeper to to go back and forth with an opponent fan at all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In retrospect, I probably should have expected this response to creating this thread. I myself am sick of overly-critical PC bull crap I see in the news every day, and calling out the tweet like that was not my intention.
Again, I am not offended by it, but just wanted to bring light to it, and only said it wasn't a good look. That's it.

If our official MBB social media account took a crap on another sport within our athletic department, I imagine some people would be critical.
diggingbig.jpg

Could be time to stop digging.

Reaction Score
He admitted “I’ve never watched a field hockey game.” I have no idea who this joker is. IMO The whole thing isn’t offensive, just bad judgment for an official Twitter account keeper to to go back and forth with an opponent fan at all.
I don't watch field hockey games. But I wouldn't imply that its stupid to do so or to be happy about a national championship.

Reaction Score
Oregon has also had several Title IX lawsuits and issues over the last few years. It'd be wiser to just not even give the appearance of being dismissive in this way.

Reaction Score
If this had been said about women's basketball, is the response from Oregon MBB the same? I'd say probably not but we can't be sure. More interestingly, though, if this had been said about women's basketball, is it sexist? I think you could argue no just as easily as you can argue that the tweet in question was sexist. Sexism falls under the category of power disparity and power disparity is ultimately what feminism tries to interrogate. If field hockey can be belittled, then so too could women's basketball, I'd argue. Otherwise we're assigning a level of importance to women's basketball that can then be used against us - and has been used against us - as a punchline for the current state of our athletic department.

It's definitely a bad decision to tweet that out, not because it's unfunny but because you can't disparage another sport when you're the official account of Oregon basketball and by association the school as a whole. Not a big deal, but I can see what people would find it problematic.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Women's field hockey trying to throw shade, is like a midget trying to tell an nba player what they're doing wrong. Both hold NO validity. Imo Oregon could have went a lot harder, I know I would have. Field hockey? What a joke

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I don't watch field hockey games. But I wouldn't imply that its stupid to do so or to be happy about a national championship.
That’s not the stupid part. The stupid part is to expect fans from another university to care. The majority of posters in this forum laugh at Cuse’s Helms trophies. It’s human nature to ridicule other people’s (tribes) successes. Now if you came to this forum celebrating that success you only would have heard ridicule from deep. In fact that’s exactly what happened. And people pushed back.

Women laugh at men. Men laugh at women. For the most part most people take it in stride. Occasionally something is said or done that crosses someone’s line. The problem is that the line is different for each one of us thus making it difficult to always know what we should avoid saying or doing. Ultimately it comes down to someone imposing their will on someone else about how we should do things. Quite often we don’t realize that this is about each of us trying to assert our will over others.

For the record my opinion aligns with defending against mistreatment of any group. But no issue is simply either/or.

pj

Reaction Score

Why not just tell your wife to add more roast beef?

Reaction Score
Field hockey is prominently played by men in Europe, where the sport is most popular. In fact, Nancy Stevens's longtime associate head coach is a man from Europe who played professionally. Calling that sexist is....pushing it.

That said, if I'm Altman, I don't want to my team's Twitter account giving any kind of bulletin board material to an upset-minded opponent. I'd be having a chat with my SID telling them to shut up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom