OT- NCAA To Allow Alcohol Sales At Championship Events | The Boneyard

OT- NCAA To Allow Alcohol Sales At Championship Events

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Alcohol sales at NCAA championship events will continue after successful tests at College World Series

Beer and wine are here to stay.

The NCAA announced Wednesday it has lifted all restrictions on the sale of alcohol at championship events. This comes after a pilot program was used the last two years at the College World Series to test the sale of alcohol.

Beginning during the 2016 CWS, beer and wine were allowed to be sold in general seating at TD Ameritrade Park. Alcohol was available at all eight fixed concession stands on the main concourse, plus two more on the upper level. Fans could order two alcoholic drinks at a time. Wine has cost $8 or $9, draft beer $7 and canned beer $6.

It was a big hit.

During the 2016 series, about 430 alcoholic drinks were sold per 1,000 fans, which exceeded expectations. Draft beer made up about 62 percent of those sales, 36 percent canned beer and 2 percent wine.

Reaction Score
Proving once again that all the NCAA cares about is making more money. I don't have a problem with someone having a drink at a sporting event, but the NCAA needs to get off their high horse and admit nothing else matters to them except making money.

Reaction Score
33EAA30B-6BD8-480E-9538-84361459A4F9.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Proving once again that all the NCAA cares about is making more money. I don't have a problem with someone having a drink at a sporting event, but the NCAA needs to get off their high horse and admit nothing else matters to them except making money.

Eh.

This is more responding to a consumer demand.

They could have done this decades ago if they were looking to make a buck.

Reaction Score
Eh.

I know I documented my request to the NCAA for more alcohol on numerous occasions... :)

Reaction Score
Will this new rule work for regionals?

Or only championship games?

Been to a few hockey regionals and wish this was in place when I went

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
That's the good news. The bad is it's $15 bucks a cup of beer and $20 for a glass of Bali Jai.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is a good thing, especially if includes the NCAA semis, which are a long haul without booze. IIRC we were the first game in 1999 and my friends and I left at half of the Duke-Michigan State game because we wanted to get our drink back on; in 2004 we were the second game, and we arrived mid-way through the GT-OSU appetizer because we wanted to be good and lubed for our game. And I think it was the same situation in 2011.

Reaction Score
Eh.

Yes, so more people might go to the games so they sell more tickets. And they also make money off the alcohol sales.

The NCAA’s bylaws prohibit not only the sale but also the advertising of alcohol, cigarettes or other products “that do not appear to be in the best interests of higher education.” But now it's O.K.? The NCAA does allow individual members to choose whether they allow the sale of alcohol at sporting events.

Struggling with low attendance at games, colleges turn to beer sales

Colleges, seeking revenue, consider beer sales at stadiums

It's definitely about the money. It's always about the money.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well for those prices I won't be ordering drinks.

Reaction Score
"8 dollar Bud light drafts were a big hit"

God help us.
8 bucks for pee water swill? I don't even get how they can get away with charging even half that for a cup for what amounts to basically the worst beer in the world..

I can go to the gas station and get a six pack of microbrewed local beer for less than that. People just don't care that they are getting ripped off like that??

Reaction Score
8 bucks for pee water swill? I don't even get how they can get away with charging even half that for a cup for what amounts to basically the worst beer in the world..

I can go to the gas station and get a six pack of microbrewed local beer for less than that. People just don't care that they are getting ripped off like that??

While venue beer is and always will be overpriced...at least now most realize they need to get some decent product in the house. I think Fenway used to have just Coors Light and Bud Light only for the longest time. Could probably pass on that, and now they (and most places) usually have some acceptable options...sometimes you just hafta walk around a bit. If given the choice between $10 for a decent beer, or no beer....I'm laying out the 10 spot (multiple times per game) pretty much every time...

Reaction Score
Eh.

Gotta annihilate the taboo sentiments first.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Gotta annihilate the taboo sentiments first.

Yes, because drinking at sporting events is the third rail of American morality.

Yes, so more people might go to the games so they sell more tickets. And they also make money off the alcohol sales.

The NCAA’s bylaws prohibit not only the sale but also the advertising of alcohol, cigarettes or other products “that do not appear to be in the best interests of higher education.” But now it's O.K.? The NCAA does allow individual members to choose whether they allow the sale of alcohol at sporting events.

Struggling with low attendance at games, colleges turn to beer sales

Colleges, seeking revenue, consider beer sales at stadiums

It's definitely about the money. It's always about the money.

Are you 12 years old or are you a nun?

The NCAA had an idiotic self-imposted blue law that ran counter to what their paying customers want.

Selling beer to grownups watching a sporting event has no effect, impact or correlation to higher education - we’ve sold beer at the Rent for years and somehow the earth has continued to spin.

Jesus.

Reaction Score
Yes, because drinking at sporting events is the third rail of American morality.

Are you 12 years old or are you a nun?

The NCAA had an idiotic self-imposted blue law that ran counter to what their paying customers want.

Selling beer to grownups watching a sporting event has no effect, impact or correlation to higher education - we’ve sold beer at the Rent for years and somehow the earth has continued to spin.

Jesus.

URI actually sells beer at their arena for games. The process and the product leave a lot to be desired, but it's a start...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
URI actually sells beer at their arena for games. The process and the product leave a lot to be desired, but it's a start...

Schools are free to sell beer at their sporting events....Syracuse has sold beer at the Dome for 40 years.

NCAA will now allow sales at championship events because they realized the rule against it was dopey and counter to what their customers wanted.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Were you under the impression that the reason the NCAA does not allow fair "student" compensation because they are concerned about amateur athletic status?

Reaction Score
NCAA will now allow sales at championship events because they realized the rule against it was dopey and counter to what their customers wanted.
Yup. And they can make money off it. So they reversed course. Good, we agree.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember them selling beer at a USF on-campus game a decade ago. Thought it was funny that the only folks in line were wearing UConn gear.

Reaction Score
Schools are free to sell beer at their sporting events....Syracuse has sold beer at the Dome for 40 years.

Back in the 90's when I spent a lovely two years at an ACC school I think ALL ACC sporting events forbade the sale of alcohol. I wonder if that's changed with the times or if Syracuse got an 'its upstate NY for god-sakes, we need a drink' exception.
They also gave out free tickets to students so you could line your socks with high priced nip bottles.
Although I firmly maintain the halftime 'let you outside to smoke rule' at the old field house was the greatest drinking rule in the history of college sports. A pint of Yukon Jack hidden in the snow was the medicine of choice back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom